55w 5000k

I had 35w 5000k before in another vehicle, and while I liked the light output, I want a little more blue hue to it, not much but more than what the 5000k/6000k had to offer.

Although in the 55w 8000k might be just right, if not possibly the 6000k. I can always buy a new kit, and retrofit the 3 wheeler to use the other ;) haha

Why do you want blue? There is no point in getting HIDs if you are just getting them for their color. The bluer you get, the less output you get. You might as well just spray paint your halogens with blue paint.

I'm getting HIDs for their output, but the hint of blue is a nice touch IMO. And i'm well aware that the higher the kelvin rating, they lower the light output. 4300k is comparable to sunlight/daylight, and 5000k is more of a cool white, but still extremely bright. Not my first rodeo when it comes to kelvin ratings and light output. Had to make my own High intensity Discharge LED flashlight for a class. It's slightly different for an automotive application whereas the HIDs we are talking about use a charged xenon gas filled tube vs LEDs..

I'd hit that so fucking hard whoever pulled me out would be King of England.

Lol... looks like we were on the same page. Car-B-Ques suck.

ya, tires and paint burning make the marshmallows taste funny.

Also I wouldnt really suggest putting HIDs in stock halogen housings, you should look into retrofitting projectors in there.

I've done it dozens of times...there's really no issue with it unless the reflector is made for rear firing halogens (the ones with the mirror at the front of the bulb)...the mustang will be dazzling to drivers who get hit straight on, but it should be fine for driving.

using the 55w 8000k should yield a slightly blue light that won't wash out in all but the heaviest rain

No issue for whom? I cant stand most of the cars around here that have just tossed some HIDs into halogen housings. Blinds the shit out of me. My car doesnt have a perfect cutoff since my projectors are made for halogens, not HIDs, but it is a million times better than people that use stock halogen housings.

Black 2008.5 Mazda 3s Touring 5 Speed Hatchback

Tinted tails/turn indicators, blacked out emblems, partially debadged, 20% tint all around,

Big 3 in Knu KLMX 1/0, LED footwells/interior lights

DECK: Kenwood DDX-512 double DIN touchscreen with backup camera

FRONT STAGE: Stock for now, yippy (Looking for something nice...)

FRONT STAGE AMP: Looking for something nice...

SUB: 15 inch DC level 4 with level 5 coil upgrade, red dustcap

SUB AMP: Audiopipe AP15001D at 1 ohm

WIRING: All Knukoncepts Kolossus/KCA wire

LEGAL TERMLAB SCORE: 135.8db at 42hz(pathetic, I know. I need a battery in the back,

dropping to 11.9v isnt cutting it.....)

I haz teh Term-Lab. PM me if you are close and want to get metered.

Also I wouldnt really suggest putting HIDs in stock halogen housings, you should look into retrofitting projectors in there.

I've done it dozens of times...there's really no issue with it unless the reflector is made for rear firing halogens (the ones with the mirror at the front of the bulb)...the mustang will be dazzling to drivers who get hit straight on, but it should be fine for driving.

using the 55w 8000k should yield a slightly blue light that won't wash out in all but the heaviest rain

No issue for whom? I cant stand most of the cars around here that have just tossed some HIDs into halogen housings. Blinds the shit out of me. My car doesnt have a perfect cutoff since my projectors are made for halogens, not HIDs, but it is a million times better than people that use stock halogen housings.

no melting issue...reaim the lights...the mustangs have enough play they can be fixed.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

55w 5000k

I had 35w 5000k before in another vehicle, and while I liked the light output, I want a little more blue hue to it, not much but more than what the 5000k/6000k had to offer.

Although in the 55w 8000k might be just right, if not possibly the 6000k. I can always buy a new kit, and retrofit the 3 wheeler to use the other ;) haha

Why do you want blue? There is no point in getting HIDs if you are just getting them for their color. The bluer you get, the less output you get. You might as well just spray paint your halogens with blue paint.

I'm getting HIDs for their output, but the hint of blue is a nice touch IMO. And i'm well aware that the higher the kelvin rating, they lower the light output. 4300k is comparable to sunlight/daylight, and 5000k is more of a cool white, but still extremely bright. Not my first rodeo when it comes to kelvin ratings and light output. Had to make my own High intensity Discharge LED flashlight for a class.

To each their own, I got my HIDs for functionality and safety over looking cool. I have 55w 5000k bulbs for low beams in projector housings, and 5000k 35w for my fog lights

Tinted tails/turn indicators, blacked out emblems, partially debadged, 20% tint all around,

LEGAL TERMLAB SCORE: 135.8db at 42hz(pathetic, I know. I need a battery in the back,

no melting issue...reaim the lights...the mustangs have enough play they can be fixed.

I wouldnt be worried about most housings melting, what I was referring to is how the light is aimed. I highly doubt there are halogen housings that can be aimed low enough to not blind oncoming drivers, and still allow the driver to see the road far enough ahead of them to make the HIDs worth it...

I've said multiple times the reason I'm getting HIDs is for increased light output. Theres nothing wrong with upping the Kelvin rating a bit for a slight blue hue. And the light output is not decreased by much in a small step in kelvin ratings. I have quite a bit of experience with HIDs just none in the 55w flavor hence why I posted the thread. I've been told that it has quite a large color washout between 35w and 55w which is why I assumed 10000k would be more comparable to about the 6000k range. It seems 10000k 55w is more comparable to 8000k 35w, so I obviously realize I do not need the 10000k as previously thought. I don't do much backroad or country road driving so no need for 4300k/5000k, but extra light at night when I travel would be nice and would look nice with a blue hue imo. Even by going with 8000k 55w my light output will be exponentially increased compared to what my current lights are.

I wouldnt be worried about most housings melting, what I was referring to is how the light is aimed. I highly doubt there are halogen housings that can be aimed low enough to not blind oncoming drivers, and still allow the driver to see the road far enough ahead of them to make the HIDs worth it...

I've addressed this issue on a past vehicle with my own hids and have already attempted it in the mustang with 35w borrowed from a friend that he hadn't installed yet. They Mustang lights CAN be aimed low enough and properly to still yield great light output.

Ok bro, you know it all. I was just giving my 2 cents, and letting you know what I have learned from the HIDs I have installed in the past. Most halogen housings I have ever seen have a very terrible cutoff line which gives you a bunch of light way above the line, which is what blinds oncoming drivers. This is why I always recommend projectors. Also, my 55w 6000k bulbs I used to have were too blue for me, they didnt do shit at night in the rain, and honestly just werent cutting it. I do however love my 55w 5000k they are the perfect color for me. I like the white light over the more "natural" light that comes with bulbs closer to 4000k

Sorry if I came off the wrong way, honestly had no intention of doing so. All of these all-nighters and studying for finals has me a little brain fried and on edge. This is the first break I've had from studying all week long. So I do apologize if I came off the wrong way. Just sharing my past experiences as well. We just have slight differences with what we want from our lights, that's all. :drinks:

55w 5000k

regardless...most any HID will have lots more output than a halogen bulb. so he's already upgrading. i haven't seen 8k compared to 5k, but i don't imagine a night and day difference. hell...regular halogen bulbs in my truck gave me plenty of light to see, and now i have 35w 8k bulbs in the fogs and headlights and the color is great with more output. i'm very happy with mine. white, with just a hint of blue. if people get HIDs for the output, then everyone might as well get 55w bulbs. not necessary imo

Archived