Here is my final for my college photoshop class, basically we were supposed to take an image and render it completely in photoshop. I spent at least 85 hours on this over the last 2 weeks. Critiques welcome.

This is the rendering I did of the original image, it consists of 136 layers, after the background is done it should be 140 layers.

2dhfh3a.jpg

Here is the original image, I almost always do my work in 2-3 times the resolution I plan to print at and I always work at a larger file size by 2-3 times as to have best quality, also ion case I need this for something else and want/need it to be larger than original print. At one point my working file was over 2 gigabytes and photoshop apparently cannot save files of that size, my laptop took the workload like a champ while on eco mode (eco mode uses roughly 1/3 - 1/2 of system resources), its a Toshiba Satellite, i7-quad, 18.4 inch widescreen BEAST, love it

3466lhd.jpg

and for easier comparison a side-by-side

2rw5nqa.jpg

I think I will also make an animation form the bottom layer to the top layer of my final and then put it up on youtube, so people can see how the layers stack up and then come together to make the image

Edited by kynto

• 2 weeks later...

Nice rendering, but thats really a final? should be easy. 8 hrs? crazy.

i hope you use the pentool to render. i have a tutorial on it.

Pentool Tutorial By David.

its not as easy to create that from scratch and try to make it look identical to the original

and i used illustrator to make vector outlines of everything and then color in photoshop so i would have clean lines

edit: i hope you dont think i just took the background out, that thing had 142 layers when finished

i didnt just render kratos and the logo out of the background, i created them from scratch, thats not as easy as you make it sound

Edited by kynto

Oh, render to my understanding is diff, so your rendering it all vector ? then hats off to you. i hate vectoring/vexel. rather digital paint.

cnc.

the shoulders on the original have a brownish/orangy loook to it, can overlap a layer and put it on a certain blending mode. and to get simple suff darker/lighter use the dodge/burn brush u know

if you copy the text and to get that 2 tone orange to yellow to orange. its a gradient over lay (can be found under layerstyle already in the stock packs) put that on a blending mode lighten, screen, color dodge, liner dodge. . should get as bright as the original with the same color. missing around with the opacity %

you get the idea, im not good with explaining stuff lol...

good work bro

Edit: yea i thought you did a simple rendered background take out. was like wtf final? but you vectored it, line art,paint it. wich is fucking hard !!! good work, im impress.

Edited by __d_a_v_i_d__

Oh, render to my understanding is diff, so your rendering it all vector ? then hats off to you. i hate vectoring/vexel. rather digital paint.

cnc.

the shoulders on the original have a brownish/orangy loook to it, can overlap a layer and put it on a certain blending mode. and to get simple suff darker/lighter use the dodge/burn brush u know

if you copy the text and to get that 2 tone orange to yellow to orange. its a gradient over lay (can be found under layerstyle already in the stock packs) put that on a blending mode lighten, screen, color dodge, liner dodge. . should get as bright as the original with the same color. missing around with the opacity %

you get the idea, im not good with explaining stuff lol...

good work bro

Edit: yea i thought you did a simple rendered background take out. was like wtf final? but you vectored it, line art,paint it. wich is fucking hard !!! good work, im impress.

yes, rendering means more than just taking out a background, it means generating an image from a model

thanks for the input, i know there is moe i can do to make it closer to the original, but besides a few things with kratos imself, i prefer the pillars and god of war text as they are in my file rather than original

there are multiple version and colorations of the text, so just cause that one has orange in it doesnt mean they all have to, i prefer this way

• 2 weeks later...

havent added this but this is my actual final completely done, i know many dont care, but i thought id add it anyways

i ended the class with an A+ and the only A in the entire class

first one is the one i made and the second one is the original, the file was shrunk drastically to make it a reasonable file size, so the actual differences may be harder to see

2yxg75g.gif20rqoa0.gif

Edited by kynto