Rell's Door panel build

Rell

Trying something different, when I finished the router table today I did a little clean up(I hate working in a dirty work area) Sat down to take a breather and noticed these two boxes of USPS Shipping boxes I had. I think there are 50boxes in each case. Accidentally ordered too much off their site one day(they are free BTW) and now I think I have a use for them.

Laid down some tape.

(after I was finished with everything, doing those two middle strips of tape is not necessary so next time I will skip that, it was a bitch to release everything at the end)

DSC03490.jpg

Then I sprayed the tape and the tape only with a little glue. Had these two half empty cans left over so now they have a purpose once again.

DSC03491.jpg

DSC03492.jpg

Got two boxes out, then ripped them apart to open them up and lay them out flat onto the mdf door panel cut out. (Reason I sprayed the glue on the tape only is because I obviously did not want to bond the card board with the mdf, just to the tape only so I can release it off the door later)

DSC03494.jpg

Got out the X-Acto knife, and added a fresh new blade to it. :D who wanna try me? lol

DSC03497.jpg

Trimmed the excess card board off.

DSC03498.jpg

Finished?....Not quite.

DSC03499.jpg

I got out the spray glue again, focusing around the border of the door. Then lightly mist the center as well. Then added more card board.(I repeated this process 5 times. 10 boxes total till I got the desired thickness I wanted it to be.

DSC03500.jpg

DSC03502.jpg

Trim the excess card board off after each repeat.

Got my little jig out again to draw the lines for the cut out of the trim piece. Had to wrap tape around it because the holes drilled through the wood were made for a sharpies tip to fit perfectly and not a pen. Decided to use a pen for a more finer line to follow with my blade when I'm ready to cut it out.

DSC03505.jpg

Done with that, tomorrow I'll cut it out.

DSC03506.jpg

Now some of the pros/experts in glassing/wood working might wonder why didn't I just use wood? Well because I didn't want to waste any more wood then I already have. I have a few small sheets of 3/4in mdf (enough to do the rest of my speaker rings), 1/2in mdf (enough to do my framing of the doors/armrest etc), and 1/4in mdf (enough to finish off the rest of other framing of the doors/ arm rest). I'm trying to put every little bit of it to good use.

You may also wonder why so many layers of card board. Well the plan is to cut out the marked pen area and have a trim piece that I want to then transfer over and cut out of 1/2in mdf.

I'm hoping to use some double sided tape and tape the cardboard trim cutout onto some 1/2in mdf, Insert a flush trim router bit into my router and put my router table that I just made to use. I'll use the cardboard for the bearing to ride along side of to use it as a guide/template. Then I should have a nice cut out trim piece for my doors hopefully.

I did a quick little pass with it today, it seemed to work out okay I guess. Going to finish up the rest of the piece tomorrow sometime and see how goes. Too much saw dust spitting out into the garage for me. Gonna take the table to the side of the house and dust up the neighbors. :D

Here is the little pass I did on it, you can see in the other pic where it dipped in a little. Which was my fault for forcing it too much. But over all its working okay.

I can fix the dips If I want but really not needed, Once I wrap the fabric over it and glass it wont matter.

Here is the bit I picked up, I wanted to get to work on this asap, so I had to work with what I can get easily local vs. ordering online and waiting. I hear diablo have decent bits though.

Outkast whats a good 1/8 rabbeting bit I can use? I think I want to rabbet the edges of this trim piece when I'm done so I can staple the fabric down into the rabbeted edges.

Anyways pics.

The flushed trim bit

DSC03507.jpg

DSC03508.jpg

DSC03509.jpg

The decent cut

DSC03510.jpg

DSC03511.jpg

The horrible dip into the wood :( ..But its good wont ever see it again when glass time rolls around. :D

DSC03512.jpg

Done with the trim pieces for the back doors. Gotta work on the front doors next. Made a little saw dust today, when I was done I swept up everything so my dogs wouldn't try and sniff/lick/eat/roll in saw dust or whatever they might try and do with it. Neighbors came outside and had to spray their cars down to get all the saw dust that blew from the side of my house to their driveway :lmao:

lil dips here and there, no need to really fix it. But I probably will I think. :hmmmm:

Here are both pieces, I finished up the one glued/taped down to the cardboard piece. Then I removed it from the cardboard and flipped it over onto some more 1/2 mdf and then cut out that piece with the flush trim bit. Now I have two identical pieces. One for driver side rear door and other for the passenger side rear door. Both are still currently stuck together.

DSC03517.jpg

DSC03518.jpg

DSC03519.jpg

DSC03520.jpg

Prepping the upper metal piece to the door, sanding down the old glue/factory card board that was attached with some 60grit paper.

DSC03527.jpg

My pick up for the day.

DSC03530.jpg

lil bit of today's work.

You can see here where I really Fucked up. When one of the pieces were glued down to the cardboard as my template for the flush trim bit to ride along, I got to the end of the trim piece and the glue released a little and the cardboard shifted off and really messed things up. I didnt really need to do this. Cause I'm glassing over that part anyways but I never worked with "kitty hair" before and wanted to see how bad/good it sanded.

DSC03516-1.jpg

Added some dynaglass.

DSC03531.jpg

DSC03532.jpg

DSC03533.jpg

Knocked that down a little.

DSC03534.jpg

DSC03535.jpg

DSC03540.jpg

Needs a little more filling in. So more dynaglass added

DSC03541.jpg

DSC03543.jpg

Knocking it down once again.

DSC03544.jpg

DSC03545.jpg

Looking good enough for me, little pin holes but like I said I will be glassing over this. I just wanted to fill it in(it was somewhat of an eye sore)

DSC03546.jpg

DSC03547.jpg

DSC03548.jpg

Well thats it for now, next on the to do list is to make some key slots for the mounting clips. And get the door mounted for another test fit, but its been raining every damn day this week and supposed to rain everyday next week I believe so hopefully a sunny day rolls around and I will update the thread.

LMK what you guys think. Ideas/tips whatever :good:

i think you've got a great start right now. definitely alot of ATD

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Thanks everyone, just waiting on weather to clear up a little before I go on.

I will be working on the trim piece for the front door today or tomorrow, so time to get out that cardboard again lol. Might drag out the router table to the side of the house under the car port and get to making some saw dust. The rain sucks though and its a little cold out.

Planning to pick up a 60gal air compressor soon also, maybe a little after Christmas. I'm not about to sit here and hand sand all four doors all day.

Archived