Sonic Electronix

A good start would be 5.5 cubes net tuned to 33hz with 16^2" of port per cube. It's really just a lot of trial and error what works great for someone with a different vehicle might sound like shit in yours.

Ok so heres what i came up with. I have roughed a height of 20 inches, width of 33, depth 20 inches for the outer dimensions of the box. the port dimensions are a height of 18.5, width of 2, and length of 12 inches. Now i believe that on AA's site it says the woofers displacement is .26 and the wood thickness is .75 inches. I came up with a gross volume of 6.24 cubic feet and a port volume of .80 cubic feet with no port bending and a net volume of 5.18 cubic feet and lastly a tuning freq of 32.68.

What do you all think of this? is it going to do the SMD justice? i dont want to get a beginner box, i want it to be ver rigid and make the smd sound beautiful. Can some fellow smd sub owners shed some light on this? i would really like to hear as many ideas from guys who own a smd themselves. and i think i may just leave it as one smd. i dont really think i need that much power.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I think stetsom is rated @ 12.6 volts; if you're bangin around 15 volts constant, that solo x was seeing a lot more than 2.6k lol and so will the SMD

i know you are right on that. heres the spec from the manual RMS Power @ 13.8V <0.9% THD Mono 2 Ohms: 3000 Watt. i had it at 2 ohm prior to impedance rise.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

SMDs react a lot better to lower tuning

just keep that in mind

how low would you think i should go for it? im trying to keep the box behind my rear seat so that its not as visible because of my window tints in the back windows. but again i plan to listen to a ton of rock and some hip-hop/rap with it. how low would you say i should go? The amp only has a lowpass filter and i have that set to 80Hz and my radio only goes down to 60Hz for its tuning but im not sure how wide that the frequency range goes when i set the headunit to a wider range of adjustment.

Those frequencies are CUT-OFF points so the sub doesnt play HIGHER than that...

I say anywhere from the 29-34hz range would be perfect... Keep it at 5 cubes AFTER Bracing and Displacement with about 12in^2 of port per cube and you should be golden...

Tha SMDs are powerhungry bastards and can take what you give em on music all fuckin day long.... I bump mine on the DAILY with no problems whatsoever...

But you MUST know when to let em cool down and be smart with the bass boost, IF you use it.

I personally dont...

TeamDeadlyHertz-smokeumtires.png

I say anywhere from the 29-34hz range would be perfect... Keep it at 5 cubes AFTER Bracing and Displacement with about 12in^2 of port per cube and you should be golden...

Tha SMDs are powerhungry bastards and can take what you give em on music all fuckin day long.... I bump mine on the DAILY with no problems whatsoever...

But you MUST know when to let em cool down and be smart with the bass boost, IF you use it.

I personally dont...

i know thats what low pass is for. lol. i just meant that my h/u doesnt go all that low for being able to turn the bass up slightly. and this amp doesnt have bass boost and i NEVER used it. to be honest when i used bass boost a long ass time ago, i never noticed a difference in sound other than when you turn it up it sounds like shit. but i had my radio at +2 out of 6 for the bass, set to wide 1, and a freq of 60Hz. my subwoofer output level on the headunit was set to 13 out of 16 (my voltage was low as hell without it up around the 10's) and it was alright. and how would you know when its time to turn it off and let them cool down? like i said my solox was never warm no matter when i touched it, other than its smell but it did that the first damn day i bought it. but do you think my tuning of 32Hz is too high? and can i please get some help for finding the displacement if i use dowels inside it? i may not since the port is damn near the length of the box and its only one 18 but lemme know what you think. i dont want to spend all my time on making the box only to blow the damn thing apart from flexing. lol.

I personally dont...

i know thats what low pass is for. lol. i just meant that my h/u doesnt go all that low for being able to turn the bass up slightly. and this amp doesnt have bass boost and i NEVER used it. to be honest when i used bass boost a long ass time ago, i never noticed a difference in sound other than when you turn it up it sounds like shit. but i had my radio at +2 out of 6 for the bass, set to wide 1, and a freq of 60Hz. my subwoofer output level on the headunit was set to 13 out of 16 (my voltage was low as hell without it up around the 10's) and it was alright. and how would you know when its time to turn it off and let them cool down? like i said my solox was never warm no matter when i touched it, other than its smell but it did that the first damn day i bought it. but do you think my tuning of 32Hz is too high? and can i please get some help for finding the displacement if i use dowels inside it? i may not since the port is damn near the length of the box and its only one 18 but lemme know what you think. i dont want to spend all my time on making the box only to blow the damn thing apart from flexing. lol.

I didnt mean to sound like you dont know what your doin... I just mightve misinterpreted what you were sayin.

The bass on the deck usually is in the negatives for me, I find that it clips Alot faster and sends a dirty signal if its higher than 0...

But thats just me....

You give me the dimensions of what you have to work with and i can send you a simple design with all the number crunching taken outta the equation..

A simple Square box should be easy to make with a skill saw and a drill... Thats how i started..

If you want I can crack a design out tonight for you and just send you the dimensions?

I just need the space you have to work with...

Oh and my subs heat up because im feedin em roughly 10kRMS

The point i was trying to make is, you need to be smart, and NOTHING will ever blow up on you.....

98% of the time its USER ERROR

1% of the time its Product...

the other 1% is for when your drunk... Then its No ones fault LOL

TeamDeadlyHertz-smokeumtires.png

lmfao!! Well what i have to work with is to have it about 3 feet wide, 2 feet-3 inches deep, and 1 foot-8 inches high. i at the current time have the port facing the side of my 04 envoy and thats kinda how i planned to make this work for my smd since i have a d3100 back there and will put that near the port to have all the room i can get from the port to the side wall in the back of my truck. i want to mount the amps on the box as well and i have the stetsom amp and a precision power pc2350 amp thats about 16 inches long (its freaking huge) i didnt get the chance to measure ALL the dimensions for it, more of really rough dimensions. so dont waste your time making a 3-d sketch or something because it may change. i have a few other things to measure and get it finalized for what i want. its not a big rush for me to get this done (i plan to get the build started in the spring after it warms up so i dont freeze my ass off outside working in the cold :P ) but i do appreciate your help in this. if i knew half the stuff you do id help other guys as well and i dont plan to feed it anymore power than my stetsom can produce.

Archived