Sonic Electronix

Four subs at 400W RMS or two at 1000W RMS ?

Wondering which would be louder? 4 12" sub woofers at 400 watts RMS each or 2 12" sub woofers at 1000W RMS each? And as a kind of side question, what would be a reasonably safe level to push a 400RMS/1200PEAK sub woofer continuously? is it really 400 Watts? is it possible to run a sub somewhere between its RMS and peak ratings on the daily? like, without drastically shortening the life of the sub?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

4 12s would be louder, because more cone area and more heat displacement for the woofers. Also running 4 12s at there max wrms should be fine since they are rated at that, what woofers do you have in mind?

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Wondering which would be louder? 4 12" sub woofers at 400 watts RMS each or 2 12" sub woofers at 1000W RMS each? And as a kind of side question, what would be a reasonably safe level to push a 400RMS/1200PEAK sub woofer continuously? is it really 400 Watts? is it possible to run a sub somewhere between its RMS and peak ratings on the daily? like, without drastically shortening the life of the sub?

I don't know a definite scientific answer to this, but in my personal opinion I'd say the two 12's at 1000w RMS. I say this because, with only two, this leaves more cu/ft per speaker, meaning deeper/louder bass. The bigger the box, and lower the tuning the louder/deeper your bass is gonna be. I don't know if this is correct, but like i said this is what i think would be better.

mivtCK.png

4 12s would be louder, because more cone area and more heat displacement for the woofers. Also running 4 12s at there max wrms should be fine since they are rated at that, what woofers do you have in mind?

I have two Pioneer TS-308D4's, they're 400RMS/1200 peak... I have a 1700w RMS amp, i was hoping to run the two subs off it at 850 RMS to each sub, twice their RMS rating, Would that be safe? Eventually I plan on adding two subs and it'll drop to 425 RMS to each of the 4.

Edited by osamio

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

I have two Pioneer TS-308D4's, they're 400RMS/1200 peak... I have a 1700w RMS amp, i was hoping to run the two subs off it at 850 RMS to each sub, twice their RMS rating, Would that be safe? Eventually I plan on adding two subs and it'll drop to 425 RMS to each of the 4.

You're not going to be able to fit 4 decent subs in a Cobalt. You're better off with two good subs in a good box.

Edited by iceman1575

POTATO!

You're not going to be able to fit 4 decent subs in a Cobalt. You're better off with two good 12's in a good box.

I've seen the setup that i want actually. A split box built off pioneer's specs (1.65cu per sub, 3in round port) facing the rear seat with about 6 inches of space, and the same box back to back with it facing the trunk lid.

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

4 12's in the back of a cobalt is really tight not much room there i'd stay with the two and don't clip them should be decent.

I'm ok with staying with two if that's the consensus, now you think setting them up to run at 450 watts over their rating is ok? as long as there's no audible clipping?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!