thermostat is probably stuck shut not to mention there might be an air pocket in the system causing it to overheat.

This^^ The thermostat is only about 6 bucks with the gasket and is usually the problem, also check to see if the thermostat housing has a bleeder screw to bleed air out of the system. If im not mistaken an airbound water pump will decrease water flow. someone correct me if im wrong.

Edited by LOOKINFORSPL?

yea i have common sense not to put water in there when its below freezing... I wont be doing it till Tuesday or Wednesday, it will be above 40 those days... also i will have to look i am not 100% where the thermostat is on this car.

yea i have common sense not to put water in there when its below freezing... I wont be doing it till Tuesday or Wednesday, it will be above 40 those days... also i will have to look i am not 100% where the thermostat is on this car.

follow the top hose from the radiator to the engine, there are 2 bolts holding the housing the hose is attached to.

Is called doing a pressure test. theres a special attachment that you put on to screw the cap on to it. You pump it up to the psi it says on the cap, if the needle drops the cap is bad. Then you screw the end on the resevoir. Pump it up to the same psi, and if the needle drops theres a leak in the system. Just look for coolant. Good luck to ya, hope its not the head gasket. :drinks:

My F-150 Build (So Far)

2 DC L3 10's

Kenwood KDC-X794

(4) Selenium ST200 (Highs)

(2) RE X8 (Mids)

Sundown Sub/Mid/High Amps

Shuriken Batteries

Knu Wiring

My Feedback Thread

Is called doing a pressure test. theres a special attachment that you put on to screw the cap on to it. You pump it up to the psi it says on the cap, if the needle drops the cap is bad. Then you screw the end on the resevoir. Pump it up to the same psi, and if the needle drops theres a leak in the system. Just look for coolant. Good luck to ya, hope its not the head gasket. :drinks:

Thanks man i just got to rent the tool.. Pretty sure its the thermostat and maybe a leak.

follow the top hose from the radiator to the engine, there are 2 bolts holding the housing the hose is attached to.

Ok thanks man!

I really do appreciate it, trying to get her car drivable again.

ok my question is this, how bad was it overheating? if it was overheating to the point where the temp guage needle was pinned on the hot for a while that could have caused internal damage to the engine, mainly scoring to the piston walls, which can cause a loss of compression, excessive blowby, and the one thing everyone is concerned about, reduced gas mileage. anyway back to the cooling system, one thing to do is when the car is cold take the radiator cap off, start the car and let it warm up to normal operating temp (usualy around 210F) at that point you should be able to shine a light into the radiator and see the coolant flowing. if it isnt flowing at around 210 degrees f your thermostat is stuck shut, that isnt too bad, the thermostat isnt expensive at all. im almost positive that from what you are describing your thermostat is to blame.

Edited by Bass_Man_2010

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

ok my question is this, how bad was it overheating? if it was overheating to the point where the temp guage needle was pinned on the hot for a while that could have caused internal damage to the engine, mainly scoring to the piston walls, which can cause a loss of compression, excessive blowby, and the one thing everyone is concerned about, reduced gas mileage. anyway back to the cooling system, one thing to do is when the car is cold take the radiator cap off, start the car and let it warm up to normal operating temp (usualy around 210F) at that point you should be able to shine a light into the radiator and see the coolant flowing. if it isnt flowing at around 210 degrees f your thermostat is stuck shut, that isnt too bad, the thermostat isnt expensive at all. im almost positive that from what you are describing your thermostat is to blame.

Thanks man that is what i am thinking to.

As far as getting the radiator cap off that is a challenge in itself.

The Radiator fan must come on to keep the car engine cool.

this is not 100% true, it is but a myth, as long as you are moving forward in direction air is passing through the radiator, cooling the coolant. all the fan does is help pull air through the radiator when you arnt moving, or if the car is realy hot. other than that the fan up front is useless and a waste of valuable power.

Edited by Bass_Man_2010

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc