What are the implications upgrading my stock alternator

Hi i live outside the US so sorry for my English hope you guys will understand what i am trying to ask.

This is my setup:

Clarion DXZ785USB

Morel Hybrid Ovation II @ Celestra FA475x

Image Dynamics iDMax 10 D4 V.3 @ Audison LRx 1.1k

And the car:

Toyota Corolla 2003 1.6L 3ZZ engine with stock alternator.

Bought a Kinetik High Current Car Audio Power Cells #KHC1800.

My question is:

Is there special things or upgrades that i have to do when upgrading my alternator to high amp alternator ?

What are the implications on the car such as car computer and all the electronic devices ?

Is there an amp limit on each car ?

idea22.jpg

Hertz HSK 165XL

Celestra FA475xDC Audio 3.5KDC Audio level 5 12 inchXS Power 6500 on the front.XS Power 3100 on the back.Knukonceptz 0 gauge an 10 gauge OFC wire.

big 3. im done.

Nothing else? just to replace the big 3 with 0 gauge power cables ?

What i am also asking can my car handle high amp alternator ? because the stock runs with 70AMP and i want to upgrade to at least 150 200 amp.

idea22.jpg

Hertz HSK 165XL

Celestra FA475xDC Audio 3.5KDC Audio level 5 12 inchXS Power 6500 on the front.XS Power 3100 on the back.Knukonceptz 0 gauge an 10 gauge OFC wire.

just do the big 3.

A bigger alt can only help your car.

There isnt an ampere limit. You could run an alt that puts out a million amperes without hurting anything.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

just do the big 3.

There isnt an ampere limit. You could run an alt that puts out a million amperes without hurting anything.

yeah but 1000000amps would take up all the horsepower LOL

AS-21, just a fore warning, there is a company on ebay that sells high output alternators (more_amps). i highly advise you to stay away from that company.

i run a stock alt on 3500watts roughly at 1ohm and im fine but i have a 136amp stock alt, and only drop to the high 12's at idle on the low notes:)

just do the big 3 and you should be fine

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

just do the big 3.

AS-21, just a fore warning, there is a company on ebay that sells high output alternators (more_amps). i highly advise you to stay away from that company.

Bad product? Bad company? Both?

2000 GMC Sonoma

AQ20 FTMFW!

4 DC XL 15's

Cadence ZRS-C9

Infiniti Kappa 3.5's and 6x8's

Bravox 6.5 components

DCSig.jpg

just do the big 3.

Don't worry the plan is to get an alternator from Mechman or DC power.

The problem is US Toyota corolla 2003 is a 1.8L and 1ZZ Engine mine is different 1.6L and 3ZZ engine .

I hope there is a way to get pass that problem.

BTW is there any differences between alternators for different type of engines ?

Or it just have to fit the bolts ? or different type of connectors ? and lets not forget the belt alignment ?

Differences from us engines and European car engines ? (like there is on home electricity 110V and 220V)

And what about the alternator Volt output ? is there a volt limit for car electronics and battery ?

What about the engine performance ?

idea22.jpg

Hertz HSK 165XL

Hi i live outside the US so sorry for my English hope you guys will understand what i am trying to ask.

This is my setup:

Clarion DXZ785USB

Morel Hybrid Ovation II @ Celestra FA475x

Image Dynamics iDMax 10 D4 V.3 @ Audison LRx 1.1k

And the car:

Toyota Corolla 2003 1.6L 3ZZ engine with stock alternator.

Bought a Kinetik High Current Car Audio Power Cells #KHC1800.

My question is:

Is there special things or upgrades that i have to do when upgrading my alternator to high amp alternator ?

What are the implications on the car such as car computer and all the electronic devices ?

Is there an amp limit on each car ?

I will try to keep the answers as simple as possible to help maintain proper thought understanding through language translation.

When upgrading to a high output alternator you will want to upgrade your wiring accordingly. An alternator will only provide as many amps are required, mostly trickle charging your battery. When used in car audio you can pull out max amps at peak of an alternator and trying to pull 270amps through 8g wiring will fry that wire...but that wire alone.

An alternator normally will charge at 16volts the max when cold, but generally charge at 14.4volts.

Voltage is what you need to watch, as spikes into 18volts can fry bulbs, stock electrical, ecu, and wiring.

It comes down to voltage vs current. A high output alternator if properly installed and used will not fry your electrical systems. There is no ampere limit on a vehicle, and the thought that a 270amp alternator is always shelling out 270amps is incorrect. Electronics will only pull as much current as needed.

It takes power to make power.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived