Second Skin Audio

Will this work if I do this to my port?

OK as of right now my box this like this.

b.png

box.png

And now I wanna do this to it, if I take 1" out of the top and make it 18" tall it will make the box 7ft^3 net,

and now i take 3/4" mdf and put is on the inside of the port and make the port 4.5H by 18.5W and keep it 16.5D

It should tune it to 35Hz.

b1.png

The red is the new MDF in the port

box100.png

can I do this and will it work?!?!?

adding more wood to the inside of the port shouldnt change the volume of the box because the total volume of the port is calculated by the outside dimensions but yes it will lower the tuning by decreasing port area just make sure you have enough port area per foot which by the calc you are a little low and it will probably cause port noise hope that helps

Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged

it should be fine i think, By taking the inch out of the box that makes the box 7ft^3 net on the inside,

so then i put 7 in the box for DESIRED NET VOLUME on the calulater,

then chang the port size on the calulator and it should think thats its useing just thicker MDF wouldent it and not mess with anything because the inside of the box is not changing it's always going to be 7

if you want the box volume smaller, try extending the port to take up half a cube. then you'll have 7 cubes net, and you can take a smaller bit of port area off and get the lower tuning you want without sacrificing as much port area as you were originally going to.

Edited by lAutruche

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

i think you should leave the overall box alone, and make a port insert. Slide it in for daily and take it back out when you wanna get on the meter.

Edit:

oh and with this being an suv box (judging by orientation of subs and port..) you can easily get away with 11 square inches of port per cube and not hear any port noise from the listening position.

Oh and you forgot sub displacement in your little calculations up there. Which won't make much of a difference honestly, people stress too much over exact tunings.

Edited by sanitarium

i think you should leave the overall box alone, and make a port insert. Slide it in for daily and take it back out when you wanna get on the meter.Edit:oh and with this being an suv box (judging by orientation of subs and port..) you can easily get away with 11 square inches of port per cube and not hear any port noise from the listening position.Oh and you forgot sub displacement in your little calculations up there. Which won't make much of a difference honestly, people stress too much over exact tunings.

^^^^^^

do this

1998 Monte Carlo Z34

Stock HU but have replacement

Stock Highs

Stock Electrical

BTL 18 sitting naked

AP1500D