Sundown Audio

orion 250hcca ?

steveb

I'm running a 250hcca digital reference at 2ohms powering a ReAudio mx15d1. The bass is definitely weak and I think its because of my choice of amps? Maybe i should wire it to.5ohm but i'm not into the crazy base anymore and thought the amp would perform well at 2ohms? What do you guys think, should i change the amp? The only reason I'm using this amp is because i have owned it since the mid 90's and figured id put it to use. Thanks in advance

Steve

I'm running a 250hcca digital reference at 2ohms powering a ReAudio mx15d1. The bass is definitely weak and I think its because of my choice of amps? Maybe i should wire it to.5ohm but i'm not into the crazy base anymore and thought the amp would perform well at 2ohms? What do you guys think, should i change the amp? The only reason I'm using this amp is because i have owned it since the mid 90's and figured id put it to use. Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi. Congratulations for the speaker first of all. I wasnt ready to see that when I looked the Subwoofer up. The power you are feeding it with is probably just enaugh to get the suspention start moving. For that amp you should have chosen a 15" highly sensitive 250 RMS speaker at the most. But I guess you wanted something different.

The 250hcca is a two channel amp that gives around 250 w as I have understood. If you would bridge it at 0.5 ohm you would probably only get crazy distortion and/or maybe fry it after a wile. Have you heard the statement "power is nothing without control"? That is true, but you often need alot of power to get control, and that is definitely the case with a woofer of that size, and then you will also get crazy bass even if you like it or not.

To do that beast and your self justice, you should at least power it with one or two Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bd´s or equivalent. These will will give 1000 w at 2 ohms and 1500 at 1 ohm a piece. Using one T2500-1bd that gives 1800 w at 2 ohms could give even better sound quality and is probably safer for the speaker than two T1500`s. I don´t think there are much other alternatives besides other amps. Just be sure to have at least two car batteries installed with good cabling. Good luck!

Jampa

Isnt this one of the famous old school cheater amps???

Does it have the red case??

It does like 800-1000rms at 1 ohm bridged.....IIRC

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

I may have underestmated the 250HCCA amps sound quality and power after a closer look but you should not exeed it´s recommendations on loadeing. That speaker will also draw even more current than one of smaller size.

Jampa

Speakers dont draw current regardless of size, they use whatever you give em....either way if you where to wire your sub to .5 ohm bridged(would work great for comps with good electrical, not daily) each channel of the amp would be seeing .25 ohms a piece, I wouldnt run it daily like that....I think a new amp would be your best bet, since this amp doesnt truly make a good bit of power till you drop it it 1 ohm bridged(which cant be done with your coil config) I definatly wouldnt get rid of the amp though, its a piece of history.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

I may have underestmated the 250HCCA amps sound quality and power after a closer look but you should not exeed it´s recommendations on loadeing. That speaker will also draw even more current than one of smaller size.

Jampa

Speakers dont draw current regardless of size, they use whatever you give em....either way if you where to wire your sub to .5 ohm bridged(would work great for comps with good electrical, not daily) each channel of the amp would be seeing .25 ohms a piece, I wouldnt run it daily like that....I think a new amp would be your best bet, since this amp doesnt truly make a good bit of power till you drop it it 1 ohm bridged(which cant be done with your coil config) I definatly wouldnt get rid of the amp though, its a piece of history.

A speaker cone thats larger moves more air and weigh more would give lower impedance than smaller cones because it´s harder to move and would use more current because of that I´m sure of. A ported box would make the speaker to use more current because it also moves the air in the port back and forth which adds virtual cone area. While the same speaker in a sealed box would have higher impedance where the box is resonating because it actually help the speaker work. If you move it mekanically it would even be producing power, so different forces on the speaker will have an inducing effect and there for changing the impedance. I think the factor is the Inductance of the winding.

Anyway I agree on the amp. It seems really nice and I wouldnt sell it either, it´s probably made for competition and have great sound quality aswell. I could not see what class of circuit it has, but I guess it´s A something and should be very usable for the fronts.

Thanks for the response guys. I agree the Orion amp is great just not in my setup. It may be for sale i just haven't decided yet but i have 3 so i may sell one or all just not sure yet. I ordered a Audiopipe 1500w amp today. It received descent reviews from this board from what i read. It is supposed to do 950w @ 2ohms and i'm hoping it can push that sub and not draw on the electrical system. If this amp doesn't work i may try another speaker.

Steve

Thanks for the response guys. I agree the Orion amp is great just not in my setup. It may be for sale i just haven't decided yet but i have 3 so i may sell one or all just not sure yet. I ordered a Audiopipe 1500w amp today. It received descent reviews from this board from what i read. It is supposed to do 950w @ 2ohms and i'm hoping it can push that sub and not draw on the electrical system. If this amp doesn't work i may try another speaker.

Steve

Hi again and thank you! I see you ordered another amp, good! I did not know that you have several of those hcca250´s I would have tried with 2 HCCAs, one amp for each coil. I read that for some of these models (HCCA) you need a bridging module.

I just saw on another site what these will take 6000w max. Then I think a you could have gone for the Aidiopipe 3000d to get good power 2000 w with 2 ohm for the benefit of sound quality. But one A1500D will sertainly do the job also.

I use two 1500 watt amp for my 12", but it has 2+2 coil so I will have 1000+1000 watts on two ohms, the difference from one to two amp was amazing!

I have also 2 good batteries and will get another one on stock alt 90A. It works ok sience I dont play loud all the time.

I don´t know if you are able to change or the order or if you have decided. I would never get rid of that sub. It is a sound quality sub and it´s gonna last and be enaugh for many builds in the future. Why loose time and money with changing equipment all the time?

Concentrate on each part in the equipment, and you wont need many either, and you will have an extraordnary car audio system.

I dont whant to push you to anything, only to encourage because I know the extra effort on details are well worth it. You can easily

doubble the systems quality and output in that way, and those builds are not very common in my opinoin.

How much would you sell the 250HCCA for?

Good luck with what ever you will do and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Jampa

Steve

Hi. Congratulations for the speaker first of all. I wasnt ready to see that when I looked the Subwoofer up. The power you are feeding it with is probably just enaugh to get the suspention start moving. For that amp you should have chosen a 15" highly sensitive 250 RMS speaker at the most. But I guess you wanted something different.

The 250hcca is a two channel amp that gives around 250 w as I have understood. If you would bridge it at 0.5 ohm you would probably only get crazy distortion and/or maybe fry it after a wile. Have you heard the statement "power is nothing without control"? That is true, but you often need alot of power to get control, and that is definitely the case with a woofer of that size, and then you will also get crazy bass even if you like it or not.

To do that beast and your self justice, you should at least power it with one or two Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bd´s or equivalent. These will will give 1000 w at 2 ohms and 1500 at 1 ohm a piece. Using one T2500-1bd that gives 1800 w at 2 ohms could give even better sound quality and is probably safer for the speaker than two T1500`s. I don´t think there are much other alternatives besides other amps. Just be sure to have at least two car batteries installed with good cabling. Good luck!

Jampa

What? this is full of misinformation.

WTF? No.

2 ohms isn't better quality then 1 ohm. ><

And only 2 extra batts for the 2500? That's not enough for decent daily use.

Jampa

LOL, no it doesn't.

Jampa

:)

A speaker cone thats larger moves more air and weigh more would give lower impedance than smaller cones because it´s harder to move and would use more current because of that I´m sure of. A ported box would make the speaker to use more current because it also moves the air in the port back and forth which adds virtual cone area. While the same speaker in a sealed box would have higher impedance where the box is resonating because it actually help the speaker work. If you move it mekanically it would even be producing power, so different forces on the speaker will have an inducing effect and there for changing the impedance. I think the factor is the Inductance of the winding.

Anyway I agree on the amp. It seems really nice and I wouldnt sell it either, it´s probably made for competition and have great sound quality aswell. I could not see what class of circuit it has, but I guess it´s A something and should be very usable for the fronts.

You're explenation seems logical if you don't understand how things work, but it's also wrong.

18 inch woofers don't use more current then 6.5 inch woofers. ;)

Steve

Hi again and thank you! I see you ordered another amp, good! I did not know that you have several of those hcca250´s I would have tried with 2 HCCAs, one amp for each coil. I read that for some of these models (HCCA) you need a bridging module.

I just saw on another site what these will take 6000w max. Then I think a you could have gone for the Aidiopipe 3000d to get good power 2000 w with 2 ohm for the benefit of sound quality. But one A1500D will sertainly do the job also.

I use two 1500 watt amp for my 12", but it has 2+2 coil so I will have 1000+1000 watts on two ohms, the difference from one to two amp was amazing!

I have also 2 good batteries and will get another one on stock alt 90A. It works ok sience I dont play loud all the time.

I don´t know if you are able to change or the order or if you have decided. I would never get rid of that sub. It is a sound quality sub and it´s gonna last and be enaugh for many builds in the future. Why loose time and money with changing equipment all the time?

Concentrate on each part in the equipment, and you wont need many either, and you will have an extraordnary car audio system.

I dont whant to push you to anything, only to encourage because I know the extra effort on details are well worth it. You can easily

doubble the systems quality and output in that way, and those builds are not very common in my opinoin.

How much would you sell the 250HCCA for?

Good luck with what ever you will do and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Jampa

6000W max? Maybe, but max numbers are useless.

Why use a cheap amp like the audiopipe , and then use it at 2 ohm for better sound quality? LOL

Like i said before it sounds the same at 1 or 2 ohm.

Like TeamHT said, this thread is full of fail.

Jampa please don't give recommendations anymore please...

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived