James_Rules Posted December 29, 2010 Report Posted December 29, 2010 Hi everyone! I just purchased my subs and full set today(2JL's, box, 12 inch) and I told the guy that I wanted a good amp since I have no experience whatsoever in audio. The guy recommended the JL audio Class D amp which costs $600. My friends told me that I would be good with a 200-300 dollar amp since I just want everything to sound good not to cheap not too loud. He told me that when he installs everything on January 24th, he would go over with me and see if I can use a cheaper amp he more then recommended this one since it would last for a good 5-10 years which I was happy about. Now, I know cheap systems/ good systems I just really think I went far overboard and I could really use everyones help since I'm sure I just purchased an amp that Steve would think into buying haha. Please, feel free to call me an idiot I just paid for everything I worked my ass off for the money. I mean, my friends told me I was going overboard spending more then 800 to start with. Luckily I got a good deal on the JL's where it was buy one get one free which I was happy about. Thanks!
cubs_fan0718 Posted December 29, 2010 Report Posted December 29, 2010 What model are the subs? its always good to start off with something small then move up to bigger and better things, which im sure ( and hope) you do. once you get the itch it just dont stop, unless ur broke And i'm sure you can find a better amp than that 600 dollar JL amp just gotta let us know what ur working with. EDIT: Any amp could get a lifetime of use, if its tuned correctly and not abused. 06 Impala SSKenwood Excelon DDX593 Ampere Audio 150.4 Ampere Audio 5K1 XS D4700 (front)Mechman 320a Alt. w/ Big 3 Lots of Second Skin Damplifier Under Construction for 2017
byers319 Posted December 29, 2010 Report Posted December 29, 2010 jl you pay for the name, their over priced
Sanitarium Posted December 29, 2010 Report Posted December 29, 2010 I got to figure out how to word this so it doesn't sound like i'm bashing your gear choices... You already overspent buying JL subs. You should never use a prefab box. And you should never listen to a shop that's sole mission is to make money off suckers who would buy such things without researching first. That being said.. since you already got the subs. You can get an amp that will blow that jl amp out of the water for $300. I see that you only have one post so far, so hang out on the forums, read through some build logs, and learn from us BEFORE making any more decisions on your build.
Alex K Posted December 29, 2010 Report Posted December 29, 2010 jl you pay for the name, their over priced this. You did pay for name lol. you could have just got some cheap subs and made a nice ass box (or have one designed for you) and been 2x louder. No reason to spend 600.xx on JL amp. Theres ton better out there for the money. Hell, look up audiopipe. Sure you could snag a decent amp for 100 bucks. And steve wouldnt buy a JL amp lol... 2006 Nissan Z Track. My Feedback Thread i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.
James_Rules Posted December 29, 2010 Author Report Posted December 29, 2010 they are JL 12 W1 40HM I got a deal for buy one get one free and I got 60 dollar off the amp. It was a great deal and yeah that's what I was thinking too like maybe the guy took me too seriously. I've listened to one guys car who's got alpines and man they sounded shitty.
byers319 Posted December 29, 2010 Report Posted December 29, 2010 they are JL 12 W1 40HM I got a deal for buy one get one free and I got 60 dollar off the amp. It was a great deal and yeah that's what I was thinking too like maybe the guy took me too seriously. I've listened to one guys car who's got alpines and man they sounded shitty. that was probably from the box..
Alex K Posted December 29, 2010 Report Posted December 29, 2010 they are JL 12 W1 40HM I got a deal for buy one get one free and I got 60 dollar off the amp. It was a great deal and yeah that's what I was thinking too like maybe the guy took me too seriously. I've listened to one guys car who's got alpines and man they sounded shitty. Can i ask what you paid for the 1? You probably didnt get a deal, just an overpriced sub and they threw in another one (basically like buying 2 at retail value). And the guys alpines probably sounded shitty because they were in a prefab box that was tuned around 40hz. Any subwoofer will sound decent if its in the right box. Setups are 90% install, 10% equipment anyway. Ive seen people do 150's with xplods. Just need to know what youre doing. 2006 Nissan Z Track. My Feedback Thread i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.
James_Rules Posted December 29, 2010 Author Report Posted December 29, 2010 they are JL 12 W1 40HM I got a deal for buy one get one free and I got 60 dollar off the amp. It was a great deal and yeah that's what I was thinking too like maybe the guy took me too seriously. I've listened to one guys car who's got alpines and man they sounded shitty. Can i ask what you paid for the 1? You probably didnt get a deal, just an overpriced sub and they threw in another one (basically like buying 2 at retail value). And the guys alpines probably sounded shitty because they were in a prefab box that was tuned around 40hz. Any subwoofer will sound decent if its in the right box. Setups are 90% install, 10% equipment anyway. Ive seen people do 150's with xplods. Just need to know what youre doing. $150. The box he got me was a Ported 12 inch dual round. The place is called curry audio. I'm the one who made the mistake originally the total was going to be 680 with some different amp and I told the guy that I wanted to spend more since I didn't want to be left with something I would be disappointed with.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.