First Time Fiberglassing Dorr Pannels ( Pics+ Advice Needed)

kbreudi

Spray some 3m adhesive on the back of the template and also spray some on the overlapping piece of fleece. Let them dry to the point that it no longer sticks to your fingers when you touch it, and then apply the fleece to the project. When stretching the fleece you will just pull and stretch it over the wooden built frame and attach it to the back of the fiberglass. You will notice once you put the fleece on the fiberglass it will not want to pull off. This can be tricky. You must be sure it is where you want it placed before you apply it to the back of the fiberglass. Work in sections, and you will see how it begins to take shape. Take your time and don't rush it. If you rush it, odds are you will mess it up and have to rip the fleece back off and start over with a fresh piece of fleece and re apply your glue.

www.AlabamaDrift.com04 Silverado in the works

Amazing the tricks you can figure out by doing it, and learning as you go.

Firm believer in letting my cars do my talking!

You can't rush quality, it doesn't happen overnight. Quality takes time and dedication, but the end results more than pay for it.

"Black Pearl" Build Thread

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/67183-1985-buick-regal-limited-build-log/page-1

Some pics from today

0830071857.jpg

0830071857a.jpg

0830071857b.jpg

ok my question is after you got the rings secure....what did you wrap the panel in? once you wraped it did you apply resin...let that dry and them apply bondo? then sand it down ...then paint?

also how do you get the material that you wraped the panel in to go from a higher ring to a lower ring and still keeps it shape? so if you are not under standing me i am just trying to figure out how you did this......

BTW : DAMN GOOD JOB!!!

ALSO DID YOU USE FIBERGLASS MATTE?

usually for something like this its wrapped in fleece.

To go from higher to lower you use lots of pressure and staples. etc. different ways to do it. you just have to make sure you can pull it tight and have it stay tight while you work on it.

once the resin dries you need to make sure its strong enough. If you need to add to it do so. just don['t try to double layer the fleece once its dry. It won't adhere properly. you'll see a technique where guys will soak fiberglass mat and apply it to the areas where additional strength is needed.

once dry I tend to sand a little bit first to even out any rough spots or high spots and then its fill lightly and sand fill and sand. primer helps you to see any imperfections.

If you wrap thats not such a big deal. If you paint. its very big.

Hope that helps.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

usually for something like this its wrapped in fleece.

To go from higher to lower you use lots of pressure and staples. etc. different ways to do it. you just have to make sure you can pull it tight and have it stay tight while you work on it.

once the resin dries you need to make sure its strong enough. If you need to add to it do so. just don['t try to double layer the fleece once its dry. It won't adhere properly. you'll see a technique where guys will soak fiberglass mat and apply it to the areas where additional strength is needed.

once dry I tend to sand a little bit first to even out any rough spots or high spots and then its fill lightly and sand fill and sand. primer helps you to see any imperfections.

If you wrap thats not such a big deal. If you paint. its very big.

Hope that helps.

so you can staple the fleece down and them bondo over it and you will not even see the staples? also when he wrapped it in fleece...after it dryed did he use fiberglass matt? or did he just start bondoing?

im not sure how he did it. Teh idea is to staple it or tack it down in an area that will never be exposed. staples sticking up mean more sanding and filling

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

Polyester resin will eat through most glues. Watch out for that when stretching your fleece. if you don't staple the cloth in place, as its curing (after you soak it) it will dissolve the glue, and pull the fleece, leaving gaps and other not-nice-things.

depends you can use foil, lay a layer of fiberglass down to give it a base and then lay fleece down over it.

I don't like foil because it tends to get a bunch of imperfections in it. little wrinkles and stuff so its not very flat. I know its the backside but its not what I want when I'm trying to get a perfect mold.

you can use a GOOD painters tape to mask off that area as well.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

Archived