Second Skin Audio

When building a ported box

I think that you are going to find minimal noticeable differences with the positioning.

What was the width of the Sketchup design? B/c the shorter the width the less of an effect you will see.

The width is 32" IIRC
I would position the sub near the port, but make sure you 45 those corners ;)
Is 45'ing the corners going to be something that's going to give me a noticeable gain in output on this setup? If I won't hear a difference then I don't want to waste my time and/or money doing that.

Wow, probably the easiest box design and people making it complicated lol

It isn't the box design that is being made complicated, it just a question as to which is better and why?

I'm the kind of person that wants to know "why?", not just get the answer. You don't learn anything that way, so if I can get not only the answer but a brief explanation why that is then I not only get my answer but a better understanding of why.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

45'ing corners will improve air flow throughout the box. idk how much a difference you will notice tho. an expert box builder will have to answer that one.

under construction

I hate People with crappy primered cars rolling on hubcaps that are louder then me.

u hate c-fizzy?

I'm the kind of person that wants to know "why?", not just get the answer. You don't learn anything that way, so if I can get not only the answer but a brief explanation why that is then I not only get my answer but a better understanding of why.

Definitely an admirable trait.

Is 45'ing the corners going to be something that's going to give me a noticeable gain in output on this setup? If I won't hear a difference then I don't want to waste my time and/or money doing that.
Doing the 45s on all the corners will reduce resistance. Resistance is the killer for a ported enclosure. Resistance will bring reduced airflow and increases port noise. This will reduce your SPL ratings and could possibly create some very unwanted "puff" noise (Air rushing out and causing to much friction) around the port tuning. I had it with my first ported enclosure because I myself did not do any 45 corners.

This is also why Round ports are preferred over Square & Slot, as they have no rough edges and have less resistance.

Chris - "The Apprentice" - Pandora's Box Customs

1994 Ford Explorer - "Midnight" - 4.0L SOHC

SoundStream PCX-1000D & Kicker S12L5

put the sub the furthest away from the port opening inside the box as you can. it's good to give the woofer an environment to load in. and i never bother with 45's in my boxes. i've done it with and without and noticed no difference. i do 45 the port corners tho

45'ing corners will improve air flow throughout the box. idk how much a difference you will notice tho. an expert box builder will have to answer that one.

Yeah, I heard the theory behind it, I just wonder how much that would really apply to my daily setup on 1500 watts ya know? Like I know the point of a rear spoiler on a car is to give it more downforce at the rear of the car at high speeds.....kinda thinking daily driven cars will never get up to the speeds needed to see the benefits of said spoiler yet hella people have them....even on FWD cars:trippy: I just wonder if this is the same type of situation? But if i'm gonna do 45's i'm gonna do it with resin, and if i'm gonna do that then I might as well resin the whole inside of the box<_<

Definitely an admirable trait.

Doing the 45s on all the corners will reduce resistance. Resistance is the killer for a ported enclosure. Resistance will bring reduced airflow and increases port noise. This will reduce your SPL ratings and could possibly create some very unwanted "puff" noise (Air rushing out and causing to much friction) around the port tuning. I had it with my first ported enclosure because I myself did not do any 45 corners. This is also why Round ports are preferred over Square & Slot, as they have no rough edges and have less resistance.
Thanks. Man, you guys are gonna make me do 45's....oh well, it won't hurt performance and since i'm gonna resin the whole inside it'll ensure the box is sealed up nicely and make it stronger too. Sounds like a whole lot of win to me:yahoo:

put the sub the furthest away from the port opening inside the box as you can. it's good to give the woofer an environment to load in. and i never bother with 45's in my boxes. i've done it with and without and noticed no difference. i do 45 the port corners tho

I'm just gonna bite the bullet and resin it all, and then resin in some 45's too. So the woofer would not load if it was mounted in front of the rear port wall because of how close it is compared the rear wall of the box?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

I'm just gonna bite the bullet and resin it all, and then resin in some 45's too. So the woofer would not load if it was mounted in front of the rear port wall because of how close it is compared the rear wall of the box?
With depth and width of the enclosure, unloading won't really be a problem unless your port is pretty large. Right now, I am guess that your port is 3" ~ 4" wide? So, woofer placement is going to be aesthetic for you, you might want to position it a certain way if you are going to be adding on an amp rack as well. Or something along those lines.

Unloading generally only happens when the back-pressure for the woofer is low due to not enough air being behind it on heavy notes. This is why subsonic filters are required to be set past port tuning because the woofer loses back-pressure below port tuning. This is also why you don't hear about this in sealed enclosures, b/c the pressure is constantly sealed inside and can not escape.

Chris - "The Apprentice" - Pandora's Box Customs

1994 Ford Explorer - "Midnight" - 4.0L SOHC

SoundStream PCX-1000D & Kicker S12L5