Sonic Electronix

How do crossovers affect impedance?

I have an amp that is 2 ohm stable, and a component set where the tweeter and mid is 4 ohms. As you know, if i wire them parallel, it takes it down to 2 ohms...now, they came with a crossover...one pos and neg input, one pos and neg mid output, and one pos and neg tweeter output. Do these crossovers still keep the tweeter and the mid parallel to each other so that it will stay at a 2 ohm impedance?

Hifonics ZXi6.5C

mivtCK.png

I have an amp that is 2 ohm stable, and a component set where the tweeter and mid is 4 ohms. As you know, if i wire them parallel, it takes it down to 2 ohms...now, they came with a crossover...one pos and neg input, one pos and neg mid output, and one pos and neg tweeter output. Do these crossovers still keep the tweeter and the mid parallel to each other so that it will stay at a 2 ohm impedance?

This is what I THINK....

the crossover maintains a total 4 ohm impedance.

The impedance of your speakers actually has an effect (or affect) on the crossover settings. If you change to an 8ohm tweet, the crossover settings would be different.

Just what I think however.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

So if it keeps the 4ohms, then instead of a total of 4 voice coils (i get this because each tweeter has a coil, and each mid has a coil, and this comes in a set totaling 4 coils) I will only have 2 coils wiring to the amp (because one tweeter and mid connect to the crossover, and the crossover only needs 1 input from the amp...two crossover means two inputs from the amp)? I hope you understand what I am trying to clarify...

mivtCK.png

So if it keeps the 4ohms, then instead of a total of 4 voice coils (i get this because each tweeter has a coil, and each mid has a coil, and this comes in a set totaling 4 coils) I will only have 2 coils wiring to the amp (because one tweeter and mid connect to the crossover, and the crossover only needs 1 input from the amp...two crossover means two inputs from the amp)? I hope you understand what I am trying to clarify...

yes, each component set (crossover, mid and tweet) needs only 1 channel of input. So to run both sets (4 speakers) you need 2 channels of an amp.

There are a few component sets that allow an input for each speaker, but I doubt yours is one of those. What kind are they anyway?

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

It is a simple hifonics zues crossover. It only has one input. But the output for the mid has a neg, then three positives...one says +3db, one says 0db, and the other says -3db. I know you are supposed to choose one, but idk which one to use for what...i guess trial and error. And as for the tweeter output, it only has one neg and one pos like normal. If you are visual like me, the link is in the first post...you can see what I'm talking about.

mivtCK.png

Im pretty sure the +3db and 0db and -3db are for if theres too much power and you wanna lower it or if its not enough and wanna raise it...correct me if im wrong

Vehicle: 2008 Mustang V6

Exterior: Blacked Out Taillights, Turn Signals, Side Markers-Black 18x8 Enkei ls5-6000k HID's

Interior: Blue LED Strips with Module for Music-Hardwired Beltronics RX65 with Blue LED and remote button

Sub: 2 10 inch custom subs

Amp: Hifonics BRz 2600

Wire: Knu 0 gauge

Headunit: Kenwood kiv-bt901

Damplifier: Fatmat Rattletrap

Electrical: Stock Alt/Stock Battery/Big 3

It is a simple hifonics zues crossover. It only has one input. But the output for the mid has a neg, then three positives...one says +3db, one says 0db, and the other says -3db. I know you are supposed to choose one, but idk which one to use for what...i guess trial and error. And as for the tweeter output, it only has one neg and one pos like normal. If you are visual like me, the link is in the first post...you can see what I'm talking about.

the TWEETER has three positives. the woofer has one. it all depends on what you like, if you like bright tweeters set it to +3db. if you like very mellow highs, -3db. its up to you.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

my bad...i looked at it about 30 mins ago, and mixed em up...but i like ear piercing tweets, so i guess i should go with the +3db right?

sure. if you don't like it, shouldn't be very difficult to change it.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived