Second Skin Audio

MDF -vs- Birch

PUNKYOU007

just built a box out of birch, first time using it. liked it wayyyy better than mdf. lighter, no pre-drilling, no ridiculous amounts of sawdust. did end up with half a million splinters though :/

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

get some like 35 grit paper or something and go over the cut after you have your pieces cut and you won't get splinters

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

get some like 35 grit paper or something and go over the cut after you have your pieces cut and you won't get splinters

i did it the first time around with the big cuts but every little cut after that i would always forget.

just for reference, specifics on the birch everyone's using? stuff i used was 11 ply. think it was B grade or something like that. menards actually had baltic birch but it was ridiculously expensive, especially since i needed 5 4x8 sheets.

hiiiiiiii
2002 4runner - buncha speakers n amps n shit (gone)
1994 astro - more stuffz

update: pretty sure all the pic links in the logs are broken lol.

ma slop garb build log
16 12's 4th order

4runner rebuild in progress
clickkk meeeee!!!! 4 18's 6th order

UBL - clicky

http://www.youtube.com/yyj11589

lots of hater kids here. Pay no attention, they just want 89,000 watt subs for 3.50
If you would have put a dc dustcap on it and called it lv your mom, they would all be in love

how easy is it to glass Birch compared to MDF?

I've glassed both and I didn't notice any difference

4 fully loaded Fi sp4 15's

2 Crescendo bc5500s

Crescendo c1100.4

6 focal mids

Vifa tweets

5 XS Power d3100's

Pioneer avh-p4200dvd

All crammed into a mustang.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150569-mikeg321s-fi-nendo-mustang-getting-walled-videos-page-4/

x2 on whats the type and grade of birch thats best....what tejcurrent said got to me im gonna consider it a long time for my nect build.

I don't fuck around. I go from zero to I hope you die in less than 2 posts

build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/104524-new-subs-coming-sundown-3500d-arc-audio-cable-lacing-crescendo/

Well, I am going to be doing some work on my Suburban shortly. I was going to use at least 3 layers of 3/4"MDF all the way around. I have never worked with birch plywood before so i have no first hand. As far as price goes, I c an get fairly good prices on it as I manage part of a building supply company. We keep MDF on hand which is good especially since I live right across the street, if I need a pc I just go get one :) Only birch we sell is 3/4" 15ply cabinet grade which is like $80 per sheet.

Since I was planning at least 3 layers of MDF, how many layers of birch would you recommend? Its for a wall if that matters.

If money isn't a.issue... then go with 100% bamboo sheets... 3/4" 5x5' is about 25lbs and stronger than 3" mdf...

ITS straight LEGIT!

WWW.OSGINDUSTRIES.COM

I LOVE HATER'S

Archived