Sundown Audio

RMS Matching?

whosAmp

Yes if you can get the amp to really do rated power ohm box rise and voltage drop rob an amp of watts it can put out

What I do is get a 3000 watt rms amp so I can still get 2000 watts out of even with these factors

Alright thanks, Because I was reading another discussion about this on the forums. One side of the argument was that you should always just match RMS, but the other side of the argument was that you should count in some voltage drop, etc when buying an amp. Never really got a clear answer from that discussion.

i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

Yes if you can get the amp to really do rated power ohm box rise and voltage drop rob an amp of watts it can put out

What I do is get a 3000 watt rms amp so I can still get 2000 watts out of even with these factors

Alright thanks, Because I was reading another discussion about this on the forums. One side of the argument was that you should always just match RMS, but the other side of the argument was that you should count in some voltage drop, etc when buying an amp. Never really got a clear answer from that discussion.

well this is the way i see it. if you have to ask...than you really shouldnt go over the RMS because asking would lead me to believe you dont have the knowledge required for going over the recommended applications. and of course there are going to be other factors in to consider. say you have a sub which RMSs at 2000 watts, and you get an amp that says 2000 but puts out nowhere near that....now youre not even giving the sub what it requires to shine.

when i look at a sub i pay more attention to the mechanical abilities of the sub, and then buy an extra or two just in case i end up going past mechanical limits within enclosures. testing really is one of the best ways to make sure certain equipment and applications will work.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Archived