Second Skin Audio

tapped or tapperd horns, The true facts?

solosickness

=============================The Solo x HairTrick Project===============================

Ok well lets me explain everything so I can be understood correctly.lol

Its all started long ago on youtube. I seen a vid that said x1 15" on 1000rms Hairtrick!well 1k on a 15 tuned at 35hz is amazing to me. I commented on the vid to ask who built the box for that video! I met the designer of it, and he made me a box for 35 bucks he only wanted 15 but I gave him more to put extra effort into the design, so then he spent 3 days on it.

Design disire was 1 18" kicker solo x on 4k rms from a rf4000.1 bd, n iraggi 260amp alt.I said make me a bandwith of about 35-45hz and I want maximum hairtrick capabilities from the enclosure "at the passenger Window area". So he took the full stats of my subwoofer, and size model shape on my car even res. freq. of it? n used some exspensive enclosure predictor. He was all excited to know the results of the enclosure he put his ass into it.

Well...I built it, exact to specs! Actually I think if i had to build it again, It would never be as good as b4 lol. Its a Tapped or tappered horn enclosure "is there a difference?". Without pulling up the design the very rough stats are sumthin like, 7.8 cubes 100sq inch of port into a horn that is like 11" wide 22" high. Very stiff! Very well braced! double thickness, Complex shape n build.

Its gunna be walled"very well" in my ford focus zx3. Tax Season is comin up! Ill be able to get everything i need, cuz its not in and goin yet, so I wanna know ANYTHING anyone With knowledge of tapped/tapperd horns.

- whats so good about them?

- I hear these horns are very good with subs that are very strong in the cone. why?

- Large magnets are good things for this type of design? why?

- Do they put out good spl? I heard there more efficient.

- Predictions??

Thanks guys again!

Allan Luberda.

Ride Stats:

2003 Ford focus Zx3 Hatch Walled System

X1 Solo X Kicker 18" "Enclosure: 7.8 cbft, Port Firing Into a Horn, On a 90*"

X1 Rockford Fosgate 40001bd "Now a Warhorse On my dresser"

x1 0g Big 3

x1 Kinetik 2400 "x4 Kinetik 2400's"

x1 Kinetik 1800

x2 Kinetik Special Edition True Silver Battery Terminals

x20 Gold Plated 0gauge 3/8 Ring Terminals

x25 Total ft: KnuKonceptz Kable 1/0 Silver Pearl* 2500+ Strands.

x15ft KnuKonceptz 8 Gauge.

-Soon Too Be Walled

Fav Quote:

They Dont Feal Me, But They Feal Me.

Tapped horns, and horns are super efficient, they sound great, but they are a design that works best in a open environment, or at least a large vehicle, like a Chevy express van .. lol

I have done a couple tapped horn- well, t-lines, and they work find in cars, and so do general t-lines. They are designed almost the same, and work about the same, except a t-line, you don't have to calculate the flare.

You can get away with some stronger sound in the low end by doing a transmission line, with low power. A horn in that car with what your trying to do isnt realistic, unless you tune really high

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Tapped horns, and horns are super efficient, they sound great, but they are a design that works best in a open environment, or at least a large vehicle, like a Chevy express van .. lol

I have done a couple tapped horn- well, t-lines, and they work find in cars, and so do general t-lines. They are designed almost the same, and work about the same, except a t-line, you don't have to calculate the flare.

You can get away with some stronger sound in the low end by doing a transmission line, with low power. A horn in that car with what your trying to do isnt realistic, unless you tune really high

well if it turns out bad i will just prolly go t line deffinitly. But this dude did make a 15" on 1k in a half finished wall, and it was a strong hairtrick

Ride Stats:

x1 0g Big 3

x1 Kinetik 1800

-Soon Too Be Walled

Fav Quote:

bump

Ride Stats:

x1 0g Big 3

x1 Kinetik 1800

-Soon Too Be Walled

Fav Quote:

Doesnt sound like a horn at all, why's there only 100sq" of port?

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

A horn for a 18" sub would be effin huge.

People rave about all these fancy designs for car audio, but I have yet to see one actually do very well.

Now I'm not talking about bandpass 6th order walls, that are in extreme class.

I haven't even seen one in a daily setup put up big numbers,play flatish, and sounds good.

Honestly a properly design ported box will sufficed in a car. But its about figuring out what works best for your install. Period. It takes time and testing.

Archived