Sonic Electronix

I have a 1700 watt amp all the way up on 1 ohm, that would be sq rt(1700)/1 which is 41 amps right? so that means the maximum the amp will draw from the batt/alt is 41 amps right? also is there a way to measure the current being drawn by the car without the aftermarket accessories on, to see how much room i have to work with before i exceed the 140 amp alternator i have?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

2x Pioneer 6 1/2 (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 1" tweeters (stock amp)

2x Pioneer 6x9 (stock amp

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

Soundstream DTR 1700 R.I.P

2x Champion series PRO 12" subs

0 AWG Big 3, Stinger SP1700 battery

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

1700w= (14.4v x amperage) x 0.7

So you need 153amps to get 1700wrms at 14.4v with an amplifier at 70% efficiency.

It takes about 40% of cars original alternator output to run.

Maybe mathematically that's right, but it doesn't seem right because this amp's recommended fuse is 150amp. says so in the manual. so it can't pull 153 amps. if i work out your equation, 1700 = (14.4 x amps) x 0.7 or 2428/14.4 = 169 amps... that's WAY over what i would expect an amp of this size to draw, and it's more than the fuse it uses... so what am i missing..

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

eclipse is correct. its ohms law.

remember that music is dynamic and fuses dont pop as soon as they see over their rating. a 150amp fuse could take 200amps for about 5-10 min. there is also the posibility that the amp is over rated and doesnt really do that much power.

as an example, my amps could be drawing 205amps but i have 160amps of fusing on each amp.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Maybe mathematically that's right, but it doesn't seem right because this amp's recommended fuse is 150amp. says so in the manual. so it can't pull 153 amps. if i work out your equation, 1700 = (14.4 x amps) x 0.7 or 2428/14.4 = 169 amps... that's WAY over what i would expect an amp of this size to draw, and it's more than the fuse it uses... so what am i missing..

First a quick lesson on fuses, a fuse will NOT blow when it gets rated amperage unless it gets it constant for about 20-30 seconds.

Now, the way i did the equation it came out to 153 and some change. 14.4 times 153 times .7 equals 1500 and change which is as close as you'll get with all the rounding.

Bottom line is IF your actually getting 1700rms then you are over drawing your alternator at full tilt.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Didn't know MAXI fuses were slow blow. And Soundstream amps are CEA compliant. Sooo my next question would be what are my options? alternator upgrade? i have 0 AWG big three. would adding a battery help? or is the only option upgrading the alt?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

Didn't know MAXI fuses were slow blow. And Soundstream amps are CEA compliant. Sooo my next question would be what are my options? alternator upgrade? i have 0 AWG big three. would adding a battery help? or is the only option upgrading the alt?

ALL fuses act the same. None are "slow blow" they are just metal at a certain thickness designed to allow so much current flow.

You can add batteries or you can up the alt status. Get a bigger one or get another one.

I recommend get another battery or two and get a volt meter and just don't let it dip past 12v.

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

ALL fuses act the same. None are "slow blow" they are just metal at a certain thickness designed to allow so much current flow.

You can add batteries or you can up the alt status. Get a bigger one or get another one.

I recommend get another battery or two and get a volt meter and just don't let it dip past 12v.

There are slow blow fuses as well as quick blow fuses. Apparently not for use in cars. But if you look around there are instant blow maxi fuses as well as slow blow. it's dependent on the length, thickness, and type of metal used in the filament. It makes sense that the ones included for amplifiers are slow blow however. that's beside the point. So adding another battery should be enough to cover it without an alt upgrade?

2009 Cobalt LT

Pioneer Headunit

4x Pioneer 6 1/2

Pioneer GM-6400F

To come:

New or repaired DTR!!

Do the big three upgrade and get yourself one GOOD main battery..

youll be set.

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

tuned to 25 hz... stay tuned.

blazer

stroker 15

brutus bxi2006d terrible voltage drop

145.4@38HZ... SEALED LEGAL

Aim: chewieft09

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

my house is louder than your car...

Do the big three upgrade and get yourself one GOOD main battery..

youll be set.

This

Big 3 will do wonders, Then a good battery under the hood.