Sonic Electronix

I generally go a little large on cubic feet, my 15 is in 6ft^3. as for tuning, usually you want something like 13-16 square inches of port per cubic foot of box volume, so my box port is 9x9=81sq. in. and 14in.x6= 84sq. in. so im pretty much right on. this lets it breathe correctly, but tuning is basically port length. the lower you want your box to sound, the longer the port. there are some great calculators on www.the12volt.com i highly reccomend and i use them all the time.

The port is how the subs breathe, correct? Just making sure if I'm on the same page or not. And if it is, that means the bigger it is (length or width), the lower the tune is?

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

Read build logs, hang out and absorb as much as you can.

there's rules of thumb to designing good boxes and those can be found right here on this forum.

you really want to learn, then that's the best way so I'm not gonna say too much more. Good luck to ya!

Agreed, there's a ton of knowledge on the net that can be easily attained.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

yes and yes, but you want to tune your box somewhere from like 32-38 hz. if you dont already, get the torres box calc and play with it. its also good, if you havent done it yet, to look at the specs of the sub and see what cubic feet it wants and such.

yes and no. if your port doesnt have enough area its like breathing through a straw and can make noise, but if theres too much area, its like breathin with your mouth wide open and doesnt build any pressure inside the box. thats where the 13-16sq.in. per cube comes in. but port length - like how far the port goes into the box - is what will most directly change your tuning. go here and play with some numbers http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#porsq

'99 Cavalier z24

-Kenwood KDC-BT945U hu

-Alpine Type X 5.25 components

-oldskool RF p201s 600w 2channel

-RF punch 3way 6x9s

-custom built 15" Shocker Sig from Shocker Mike!

-soundstream dtr1.2200 tower amp

-6.0ft^3 ~33Hz instead of a backseat FTW

--references: alphasig293

Also, the whole X amount of port area per cubic foot rule is really only applicable when dealing with normal sized boxes. A 6ft^3 box for a single 15" woofer is quite large, and since port area requirements are not dependent on what size box you're running, you don't have to keep the same rule of thumb that you'd use with a normal box.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Also, the whole X amount of port area per cubic foot rule is really only applicable when dealing with normal sized boxes. A 6ft^3 box for a single 15" woofer is quite large, and since port area requirements are not dependent on what size box you're running, you don't have to keep the same rule of thumb that you'd use with a normal box.

This is true. When I design a box I tend to base port area on what a normal sized box would be then tune length normally.

yes and no. if your port doesnt have enough area its like breathing through a straw and can make noise, but if theres too much area, its like breathin with your mouth wide open and doesnt build any pressure inside the box. thats where the 13-16sq.in. per cube comes in. but port length - like how far the port goes into the box - is what will most directly change your tuning. go here and play with some numbers http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#porsq

I played with the site a little. It was a little confusing at first, but I got the hang of it. I'll forsure be using this when I build my box.

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415