Second Skin Audio

T/S Parameters and Box Building?

What do the T/S Parameters mean when you are designing a box? Ive seen 8" woofers recommended for 2FT^3 ported, and ive also seen 8" woofers recommended for .88FT^3 ported. So what do they mean? :trippy: :trippy: :trippy:

Imo they are useless!

For pure spl, yes. Testing and more testing is the only way to get that last tenth on the meter. But for a daily build, accurate t/s parameters are very good at determining what kind of box the woofer will work best in and what specs it prefers.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

^those are the definitions but u didnt mention how to apply them to designing

If he really wants to design a box based on t/s parameters, that sheet along with a few google searches should get him started.

This is a great starting point for more info:

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/

And while SPL is a lot of testing and tuning, t/s parameters can still be used to predict a decent starting point for the enclosure if you have any predictions/info on what you need for your vehicle interior. They can also be used in "reverse" to see what is happening with the actual box. A lot of the testing and tuning you are doing for SPL is the interaction of the subwoofer system with the vehicle interior. t/s parameters do not predict that. . .

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

^those are the definitions but u didnt mention how to apply them to designing

X2 i know the definitions, i just need to know how to use them. some subs only come with T/S specs and not the recommened encloser.

X2 i know the definitions, i just need to know how to use them. some subs only come with T/S specs and not the recommened encloser.

The EBP value(fs/qes) is a good way of figuring out what type of box the sub will be best suited in. A value in the 50-60 range is the gray area that can go either way. The further below 50 you go, the better it is for sealed. The further above 60 you get, the better it is ported.

Typically speaking. There are always exceptions to the rules, but EBP is a good thing to look at.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...