Second Skin Audio

sonic soundlabs

fmedina

They don't look like Boss, sure.

Would I run them? No.

But I'm sure they will have some nuthuggers, that will swear by them.

All I see is another company getting motors from China, and dropping the moving assembly in.

This is what I call manupackers. The industry is getting full of them. Cause its not hard to call up china and get everything you need, plus, its rather cheap to get into.

Direct quote from the site.

Drilling a hole in through the T-Yoke to make a “Vented” T-Yoke only allows the subwoofer to move pressure that builds up under the dust cap that can cause the moving mass of the subwoofer to slow down and this can result in overheating, clipped single, and lower the efficiency of the driver.

So, a vented pole now causes a clipped signal?

Bahahahahaha.

Zomg. I can't stop laughing.

What a bunch of fucking idiots of a company.

Listing motor bolts as Made in the USA, cause the they really don't have a USA made sub.

Now talking shit about vented poles, that causes clipped signals.

Bahahaha.

FAIL.

Technically it could if you tuned your amp with the subsonic filter on then turned it off later. Sub-sonics will cause more excursion which will cause impedence rise/dip in excess of what you tuned for in the beginning.

Anyways, what they say about the pole piece vent causing less cooling is a possibility depending on a few things. They are 100% correct about it reducing motor power though.

uhhh that doesn't have anything to do with a vented pole causing clipped signals.

Vented T-yoke means more excursion. More excursion means more impedance change. Impedance change can cause clipping. Not saying they're right, because you should properly tune your system, its just possible is all. Also depends on a few points.. which shouldnt be a problem anyways.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Drilling a hole in through the T-Yoke to make a “Vented” T-Yoke only allows the subwoofer to move pressure that builds up under the dust cap that can cause the moving mass of the subwoofer to slow down and this can result in overheating, clipped single, and lower the efficiency of the driver.

Bahahahahaha.

Listing motor bolts as Made in the USA, cause the they really don't have a USA made sub.

Bahahaha.

FAIL.

Technically it could if you tuned your amp with the subsonic filter on then turned it off later. Sub-sonics will cause more excursion which will cause impedence rise/dip in excess of what you tuned for in the beginning.

Anyways, what they say about the pole piece vent causing less cooling is a possibility depending on a few things. They are 100% correct about it reducing motor power though.

uhhh that doesn't have anything to do with a vented pole causing clipped signals.

Vented T-yoke means more excursion. More excursion means more impedance change. Impedance change can cause clipping. Not saying they're right, because you should properly tune your system, its just possible is all. Also depends on a few points.. which shouldnt be a problem anyways.

I didn't know having a vented pole gave you more excursion....

Care to explain...

Let me get this straight. You can take the same sub, but one has vented pole, one has solid.

The vented with have more Xmax?

I can't say I truly believe that.

isnt a magnet a magnet who cares your sub isnt going to play louder because the ferrite came from the US rather than some other country

I'm not talking just ferrite, as that's not all that makes up a motor structure.

I'm not saying its bad, cause hell most brands on this site motors come from overseas already charged.

Point is, these subs aint nomore special than anything else out. So don't say they shouldn't say they are.

It seems at least once a week I find out about a new company coming out with the same shit in another bag. I can think of 4 in the past two weeks I just seen.

My point, its easy to start your own speaker company. Anybody can get motors from china and drop softparts in.

I have no idea why nobody can take pride into build something these days. And actually make it different than the other 100 companies.

Oh well. /rant.

i asked for prices and once i got the price on the Ultrasonic 15's i'd rather have smd's or lvl5's, lvl6's or if T3 still has the special or tsns's I'd grab them in a split second for the price they were selling them for vs a un proven sub that cost an arm and leg... these things seem/look impressive but not as much as smd's or others that I mentioned for the price they want. im not gonna just post their prices on the forum like that but man... I won't be buying them, rather spend the money on smd 18s vs having 15s

http://www.sonicsoundlabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=69

Bahahahahaha.

Bahahaha.

FAIL.

Care to explain...

Let me get this straight. You can take the same sub, but one has vented pole, one has solid.

Vented means less pressure behind the dust cap. Less pressure means less resistance to movement. Its pretty much that simple.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

I dont know a single manufacturer in the USA of magnets, ferrite or neo

Sure the magnets are charged here in the USA, but at least we can make our own magnet chargers here lol. All speakers companies I know of import magnet material pre made. There are a few that buy the magnet material in long rods, and just need to cut them in slices.

I have noticed, well, Terminals, the frames are imported. I will bet money that the spiders are imported, because the last american company that made spiders Nuway, went out of business, and just sold there company to Mexico I believe.

I wouldn't doubt the cone is imported too.

Anyways, I think the sub looks nice, so does the whole line up on there website.

I skimmed the thread introducing these subs, and they said 100% made in USA I think. But really, only assembled here I will bet.

Bottom line, is they look good, and would like to see some run in the lanes, or what they can do next to other major companies

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Bahahahahaha.

Bahahaha.

FAIL.

Care to explain...

Vented means less pressure behind the dust cap. Less pressure means less resistance to movement. Its pretty much that simple.

the vent is there for a few reasons. One thing people don't think of, is having a solid pole piece actually raises the Q of the speakers, and raises over all efficiency

But with out a vent, the best way to do it is vented top plate(like DD ), or vented back plate ( t yoke is the importer term for back plate )

Basically when you call china up to order parts you say,

"Id like 1000 top washers, and 1000 T yokes, with c35 magnets"

edit:

and what determines xmax is winding height of coil to the top plate weather its under-hung, over-hung, or dual gap

With proper power, no matter how stiff ( realistically) that spider pack will allow the coil to move the way its supposed to, if not, the coils burn up, or the spiders shred, or the triple joint fails

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Archived