Pro Audio VS Car Audio Mids

OBI

Thanks for the replies everyone, learning a lot from this.

Lance- Whats wrong with Seleniums? Just wondering as I have no experience with PA.

I actually tested the 6" & 8" Selenium mids first. They just were not what I was looking for. To me, they were just loud and didn't offer much else to the listening experience.

When I reworked my front I wanted to have something that would......

1st - an overall enjoyable experience when listening every day. (this is my daily driver) Check

2nd - the ability to give me some really nice midbass when I was listening at a reduced volume. Check

3rd - keep up with 4 18's at full tilt. Check

First you have to set some goals.

Do you just want it loud as hell? - Look for the highest efficiency driver you can. Midbass will suffer tho.

Is midbass important? Look for something with a lower FS and more xmax. These wont play as high and matching a tweeter is harder.

For a comparison of 8" drivers:

Selenium 8W4P has a listed frequency response of 100-6,500 Hz, 96 dB SPL, FS of 107 Hz, and xmax of 2 mm

B&C 8MDN51 has a listed Frequency response of 70-4,000 Hz, 97 dB SPL, Fs of 70 Hz, and Xmax: 6 mm

The B&C will dig a good bit deeper, but still sensitive enough to get very loud. There are lots of other choices than B&C, I just liked the specs so that's what I used.

You don't have to put a bunch of them in a door to get loud. That's when you start having issues and your SQ will be degraded. Go with a single driver the biggest you can fit in the door. The bigger the better, IMO. I don't even hear my 8's in the rear doors over the 10's in the front.

Disclosure-I do not pretend to be an expert, just stating what I did and what I looked for.

2001 Yukon XL

Sitting on 35 x 12.50 x 20, XD Monsters

Headunit: Clarion DXZ785USB

Front: B&C 10NW64 10" Neodymium Woofer, Crescendo XST2

Rear: B&C 8NDL51 8" Neodymium Woofer, Crescendo XST2

Mids & Highs Amps: MB Quart DSC 4125, MB Quart DSC 480

Subs: 4 18" SSA ZCONS

Sub Amps: 4 GP3K Pro

Electrical: Iraggi 260a, 3 tejcurrent 240a, tejcurrent quad bracket

Kinetik - 6 HC2400

ssa_team.png

My Build Log

Right now we run 6 6" seleniums in my boys Caprice with some more to be added and they are very loud and can be heard clearly from far away, but to me it's a completely different sound from a high end pair of components. Also it's a lot of work to get set up properly due to the lack of crossovers etc that normally come optimized from the factory with a good set of components. We get a lot of good solid mid bass out of ours because they are enclosed.

Bone Stock 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8

they sound horrible compared to mine :shrug: covering freq response is a very small part of what makes a speaker sound good

but I'm a sq guy so I doubt I will ever hear a pa system to change my mind

do you have any pics of your system? i have seen your name on the forum(s) for years but i dont think i have ever seen any of your systems. That dont mean you dont have one, just means i never seen it, and i miss a ton of stuff.

link?

subs are in house to be reconed, but I have 2 shocker sig 12's, dd m2, orion cobalt amps, some fanatic q fosgate 6.5's

I'll get pictures after this box gets done being built. changed cars when my last one got wrecked and havn't gotten any of this one

here is all I have from my blazer when I was running a single 12" sig

147 when the cone exploded on me so no idea what it would have gotten other wise

yes I know it looks like shit, it was my testing box

0525091716.jpg

picture of the subs when I got them. best I have right now

0521091109.jpg

this is kick drum not rap. so not that impressive but all I have

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o296/wenn_du_weinst/?action=view&current=1230071620.mp4

this is all back when I was going for loud. right now I'm waiting on parts express to get my new mids and highs in think it's feb when their new stuff comes in. screwed until then

and here is why I had to restart

downsized_0710001747-1.jpg

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

im not a fan of how pa's sound unless your just trying to overpower bass, as far as Fantastic SQ speakers go id have to go with he Hybrid Audio Legatia speakers. Sounded Much better than the Focal, and CDT setups i had heard before

Lol. Guy asks about car audio mids, and you go straight to the top.

If he's asking about PA drivers, I don't think HAT is what he is looking for.

im not a fan of how pa's sound unless your just trying to overpower bass, as far as Fantastic SQ speakers go id have to go with he Hybrid Audio Legatia speakers. Sounded Much better than the Focal, and CDT setups i had heard before

Lol. Guy asks about car audio mids, and you go straight to the top.

If he's asking about PA drivers, I don't think HAT is what he is looking for.

LOL no shit.

I am sure a set of HAT comps could keep up with a wall of subs, they do cost a lot right? Isn't that the perquisite? How much you pay?

LOL

I don't think HAT is designed to be used with a wall. Lol.

Plus it would take a few extra to keep up, and 700 a pair, it will cost you a arm and leg.

Yeah i know, I just recently listened to a HAT setup and I'm still very impressed with them. I honestly was not thinking when I posted that lol. I was just thinking hmm speakers that sound really good. hmm..... Hybrid! lol my bad

2005 Ford Ranger Reg cab

Build in Progress

T3 Audio T2000 12

ARC SE4000

Stinger HPM 1/0 Wire

DC power 270xp

Batts: 1 Redtop up front and a Stinger SPP2250 in the back

Hopes to be in and around a 150....weel see

my youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/steph3n1

imgsize.jpg

Team DBs (Driven By sound)

Sucks to hear about the Blazer. GL with what you decide to go with.

2012 GMC SIerra CC

System Build

Headunit--Stock

Sub Amp--DC 2.0k

Subs--2-SA8v2's

Enclosure--Need one made!!

Highs Amp--Sundown SAX-100.4

Front Highs--Rockford Fosgate T2652-S

Rear--Sundown Neo Pro 6.5

XS Power D2400--XS D3400

No Big Three yet!

http://www.youtube.c...ser/raolito1980