Sundown Audio

What Did I Mess Up? Amp Cuts Off And On Now

mrwigglezdj

well while at sbn i was demoing all day basicly and didnt have a problem untill my bass boxing run, and my mids amp shut down on me, then it would turn back on, and off again, unless i kept it at low vol. its a kicker 850.4, i had it set with 2ohm per ch. and for the longest time its not given me a problem , but saturday shit starts acting bad, even after the show and we all meet up at the mall and had a lil test and tune go down , my bass would rock on but mids shut down for a moment, i did get in the rear of the van tonight and yes the amp does get rather hot, so tommrow im geting a fan to blow on it to help keep it cool, and my ohm load is still 2ohm per ch, and it was properly set, and my voltage at the amp is 15.7-15.9 (up front i have 16.1 at the main battery so theres a little drop) and kicker says from 9-16 volt safe operating voltage... and when the amp shuts down the red light does come on and then all lights off, and then the green light comes back on, i have a very strong feeling its thermo shut down but would rather throw out the issue and see if i may be over looking something..

i hope its just thermo and the fans help , with out my mids screaming at you my bass just doesnt seem that loud... ask anyone that heard it this weekend lol...

lol but i was still able to do 147 somethin with windows down AFTER THE SHOW lol

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

Yup, sounds like it's going into thermal protect.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

How are your grounds at the amp?

All nice and tight?

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

ill have to recheck the grounds, but i put in the one that got stole and it does the exact same thing, as the brand new one after a few minutes... so it might be a ground or heat,... could a bad ground cause excessive heat build up?as far as the ground on the amp its tite but ill have to check on the batt where its located

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

well i checked each speaker seperatly and they all still sit at 4ohm like they should and at the amp i have 2ohm on each ch, so the ohm load hasnt chaged any at all, (im so glad i didnt burn up anything at sbn lol i was given it hell all day)... so im going to have to track it down one option at a time

Well if the other amp does it too then deffently look at all the wiring. Also chack your coils. You might have a bad one

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

i might have a bad wire, ill strip it all out and check each wire, too much invested for it to act like a turd lol...ill just make the theifs pay for the labor ...\

its just got me stumped, for weeks it was fine, and now its wanting to act like a pissed off ole lady :lol: i just wish it would have lasted the whole weekend so when i showed it off i wouldnt have to tell them that i have a issue with the mids amp lol... o well people still got ran out of the van time and time again

Archived