03 Silverado Singlecab 4x4 First Fiberglass Enclosure

So I got started today on the new box I plan on putting in my truck. The setup will be a sealed fiberglass box that will stretch the entire back of the wall behind the seats and will hold two 10 inch DC level 2's. (Still saving up to get them both at once) :)

Anyways, started out by pulling out some leftover MDF from my other box builds and seeing what I had to work with. I found a perfect sized sheet of 1/2" hobby plywood in the shed that my dad must have been hiding. He said I was free to use it so that's great news! I'm not sure if it's really called Hobby Plywood, that's just what dad calls it, it's the birch sheet that has many thinner layers than common plywood.

Here's some shots at what I got started after rounding up all the wood I would be using.

The plans and a few of the cardboard templates I cut out to fit my truck.

Posted Image

My new toy :D Figured I'd use the last bit of graduation money to get myself a drill so I wouldn't have to wait to borrow dad's after he gets home from work everyday. This little guy is a beast, It's got a hella lot of power for a pocket drill but most badass is the li-ion battery, I've yet to have to charge the first one since I bought the damn thing. :blink:

Posted Image

Putting together the center piece with braces that the amp and cap will mount to.

Posted Image

(The perks of dad being a contractor...)

Posted Image

^Never short on supplies. ;)

Posted Image

Adding some holes to open up the channel between the two subs. There's gonna be plenty more tomorrow.

Posted Image

Letting the mounting rings setup. Tomorrow after they're dry I should be able to route the outer edges up.

Posted Image

Here's a shot of the Hobbyply that I drew out most of the back wall on. Tomorrow I have to go match the curves of the bottom in the truck with some cardboard.

Posted Image

That's it for tonight, only spent a few hours but tomorrow I'll try and get a few other things done. I'm pretty excited about this one, it's gonna be my first fiberglass, but this should also be my final setup for my truck, I've been through about 8 different combinations of equipment throughout the year... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

I'm tuned into this one. Giving me ideas for my next rebuild, might have to copy your design. Keep the pics coming. How big is the box going to be approx.?

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

I'm tuned into this one. Giving me ideas for my next rebuild, might have to copy your design. Keep the pics coming. How big is the box going to be approx.?

You know I have to say, I'm not 100% sure yet with this one. For one it's a bitch to figure out what the vol. is going to be with a stretched fiberglass, but I haven't set in stone what my sub depth is going to be just yet either so there's flexibility there as to what the vol. will turn out to be. Once I do decide on that factor I'm not sure exactly on how I'm going to be able to estimate the volume yet. I have an idea of how to do it, but if any of you guys have a trick to doing it I'd be happy to hear. :)

userbar651078zu3.gif

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

good choice on the rigid stuff. My uncle remodels houses as a side job and that almost all he uses now.

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

looks pretty good so far. your dad is a contractor and you only have 1 drill? :P:D i think there's 4 or 5 cordless around here, and 3 or 4 corded ones

There's his cordless makita, then there's two corded makita's, an old cordless makita and black&decker that the batteries are shot on and it's basically cheaper in the long run to just get the newer stuff out than to order replacement batteries for them. The black&decker uses some POS batteries in my opinion. It was my brother's he had with a kit of a drill, circular saw and flashlight, and he went through 4 batteries with it in about 2 years then he gave it to me and I got a new battery and it lasted about 4 months for me before it finally went to hell. :(

So yeah, when it comes to cordless drills there's my rigid and dad's makita now, but like I said, he's always got it with him during the day.

good choice on the rigid stuff. My uncle remodels houses as a side job and that almost all he uses now.

Yep, we're growing fond of their tools here at home too, dad got a damn good circular saw by rigid, and now I got this drill so I'm seeing alot more purchases from them in the future if we ever have to get new tools.

Thanks for the replies, I'm uploading the pics of my progress from today so I should have them up in a bit. :good:

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Ok so today I got alot done even though it was raining and I had to do all my cutting under the shop porch. :dry: Also I was able to get the good camera today instead of my phone, so the pics from today are better quality, and that's always a good thing.

Started out cutting the sides out.

Posted Image

Shaping out the back wall.

Posted Image

Attaching the bottom.

Posted Image

Sides.

Posted Image

Put some more holes in this part. (I made more after the piece was setup and glued later on as well)

Posted Image

Starting to take a shape!!!

Posted Image

Must have been a john wayne marathon today or somethin...

Posted Image

Trying to figure out where to place the rings...

Posted Image

Not sure what the hell this thing is called, It's like a cheese grater in a sanding drum shape... Anyways, it does an amazing job at smoothing out the inside of mounting holes.

Posted Image

Had to pull out the bandsaw to start making the ring braces.

Posted Image

Another badass tool that comes in handy when working with angles.

Posted Image

Hot glue the proper way. :)

Posted Image

Now I'm getting excited!!! Only thing is I'm still not set on how high I'll have these sitting yet. I'll use shims to set them the right height when I get to that point.

Posted Image

These are the only 10's I have to test fit... I'm considering using these in the box when it's done until I get the DC's... They fit in the hole a tad smaller, but I could make it happen. ;)

Posted Image

The last shot I took tonight, gives a good idea of what I'm headed for.

Posted Image

That's it for now, today I got pretty damn far. Worked from when my lazy ass got out of bed at noon until midnight, (wish I was getting paid for this) :)

I'm not sure when I'll be getting new pics yet, the next step is to mold out the bottoms of the feet in the truck. I'm going to have to figure out how to get the bolts out of floor though, I could just cut them off, but I'm hoping I can knock them out or something through the bottom and save them. (I know, I'm weird like that...)

Thanks again for the comments guys.

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

You know I have to say, I'm not 100% sure yet with this one. For one it's a bitch to figure out what the vol. is going to be with a stretched fiberglass, but I haven't set in stone what my sub depth is going to be just yet either so there's flexibility there as to what the vol. will turn out to be. Once I do decide on that factor I'm not sure exactly on how I'm going to be able to estimate the volume yet. I have an idea of how to do it, but if any of you guys have a trick to doing it I'd be happy to hear. :)

I've seen plenty of people use packing peanuts to get an estimate on the volume. Take the peanuts, put it in, once they are loosely packed take them out and put it into a 12x12x12 box, which will represent a 1ft^3 of air space.

The box progress is looking good. As i said before, can't wait to see this get finished and see vids.

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

I've seen plenty of people use packing peanuts to get an estimate on the volume. Take the peanuts, put it in, once they are loosely packed take them out and put it into a 12x12x12 box, which will represent a 1ft^3 of air space.

Yeah, that's the best way I've seen so far, but I was hoping for someway to get an estimate of the volume from the current progress I'm at, as in before I do the fleece stretch over the top. I think if I chop up the design into sections and estimate the volume of each part then put them together I can get a VERY rough estimate, but other than that I don't know.

Any takers on that? http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif Like I said, this is my first FG so I'm not 100% on the pre-build vol. estimating.

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

Archived