Sundown Audio

Petition To Do Away With Max Ratings.

lunari

As we all know, MAX ratings on amps are completely useless. Sure there are quite a few good ones out there that are rated by the true power output, not what the amp could do for a split second if struck by lightning. This petition (was started at caraudioclassifieds.org) is to do away with MAX power ratings (and other false claims) put on amplifiers to help the common consumer (and people new to car audio), when they are looking for a new amp.

Saw it over there, figured some people here might want to check it out.

http://www.petitiononline.com/hca00001/petition.html

Getting loud on a budget. Impossible? We shall see!

95 Chevy Blazer

Pioneer DEH-6700MP

RF T10001BD

AA Havoc 18"

??

RMS is too with the big name brands too honestly. pile "rms" is nothing like sundown "rms"......pile far below, sundown good bit above. i do agree that max is completely worthless though.

If you've been doing something for 20 years, does that mean what you do it right???

Want:

2x Phoenix Gold RSD65CS

Comp Amp Undecided

AA Havoc

AQ 1200

knu wiring

set scew lugs for all connections

Alpine IDA-X303 2v preout :(--this goes under the seat.

Have:

Alpine tape deck w/ Benzi Box and 6 disc changer

Check out my Toyota build

IMO, the consumer should do research before buying anything. Max wattage ratings is just a marketing tactic for some companies and they make a killing on these poor saps who just wanna see big numbers on a box and little numbers on a tag..

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

Best idea ever.
x2!!

Its stupid....

And its never gonna happen, why should corperate big shots listen to the buyers and lose money...

Either way your not going to buy that amp that is rated in peak power made by sony, jensen, pyle, pyrmid, boss, dual, etc ( if its rated by peak, or rms power).

Ever hear of let the buyer beware?

Should I let you guys know a little secret???

There is something that is almost idenical to this "petition"....

Its called CEA 2006 compliant. These power ratings are made to be done at the amps rated stable ohm load, and at 14.4 volts. These amps sold with this compliance are going to do rated power, the company is letting you know that this amp is going to work by these specs and do the power it claims.

So CEA ratings are something from 2006 that many manufactures complied with, while the cheaper made brands have not. If these cheap brands didnt comply with these standards when many sucsessful comanies did, why are they going to listen to a bunch of internet people that wont buy their crap products either way???

Like I said pointless!!!

RMS is too with the big name brands too honestly. pile "rms" is nothing like sundown "rms"......pile far below, sundown good bit above. i do agree that max is completely worthless though.

There is a marketing reason to the more rms rating, or saying the amp is underrate and actually does XXX watts more. Rockford is a major comapany to do this, but their are other major brands that do this.

The company gets a new amp design that they use, the amps build house builds these boards as whatever. Lets use a RF t40001bd. Almost every 40001bd is 4700-5000rms. Rockfords buildhouse could be building this amp as a 4700wrms amp and be selling it to Rockford as a 4700wrms amp. Then rockford does what they want with it and then sell it to you as a 4000wrms amp. You the buyer think your getting a better deal because its more power for less money.

Go around many different reviews of amps, soon you will see that the more popular brand is doing this. Sundown, Rockford, Hifonics(xx-xxv lines), Kicker. Mainly your top level companies.

IMO, the consumer should do research before buying anything. Max wattage ratings is just a marketing tactic for some companies and they make a killing on these poor saps who just wanna see big numbers on a box and little numbers on a tag..

Thank you sir!!!!

Its stupid....

And its never gonna happen, why should corperate big shots listen to the buyers and lose money...

Either way your not going to buy that amp that is rated in peak power made by sony, jensen, pyle, pyrmid, boss, dual, etc ( if its rated by peak, or rms power).

Ever hear of let the buyer beware?

Should I let you guys know a little secret???

There is something that is almost idenical to this "petition"....

Its called CEA 2006 compliant. These power ratings are made to be done at the amps rated stable ohm load, and at 14.4 volts. These amps sold with this compliance are going to do rated power, the company is letting you know that this amp is going to work by these specs and do the power it claims.

So CEA ratings are something from 2006 that many manufactures complied with, while the cheaper made brands have not. If these cheap brands didnt comply with these standards when many sucsessful comanies did, why are they going to listen to a bunch of internet people that wont buy their crap products either way???

Like I said pointless!!!

There is a marketing reason to the more rms rating, or saying the amp is underrate and actually does XXX watts more. Rockford is a major comapany to do this, but their are other major brands that do this.

The company gets a new amp design that they use, the amps build house builds these boards as whatever. Lets use a RF t40001bd. Almost every 40001bd is 4700-5000rms. Rockfords buildhouse could be building this amp as a 4700wrms amp and be selling it to Rockford as a 4700wrms amp. Then rockford does what they want with it and then sell it to you as a 4000wrms amp. You the buyer think your getting a better deal because its more power for less money.

Go around many different reviews of amps, soon you will see that the more popular brand is doing this. Sundown, Rockford, Hifonics(xx-xxv lines), Kicker. Mainly your top level companies.

Thank you sir!!!!

all of Rf's Power line is bulit in AZ in house, they aint buying amps from no one hahaha (sorry)

for the most part I do agree with what your saying, waste of time.