Building New Fronts

As the title says I'm about to build a new set of stereo speakers. Partly because the ones I have are built with free material (the sides are to thin) and I want to make some that sounds even better, but mostly to keep myself from going insane not doing anything <_<

There are some desicions I still have to make that will decide the final outcome of theese, but for now they are designed for Tang Band W6-658I 6" mid/bass drivers and Tang Band 28-847SD 28mm tweeters. The same as I allready have. And I want to do a 2.5 way x-over design vs the old 2 way.(Pics further down) Build material is mdf. 18mm for the frame and multiple layers of 3mm mdf for the curved sides.

The new design in SketchpUp:

Curvedhi-fidampening.jpg
Curvedhi-fidampeningport.jpg
Curvedhi-fi69.jpg
Curvedhi-fiport.jpg

Making the "frame":

IMAG0794.jpg
IMAG0795.jpg
IMAG0796.jpg

This is my new friend, about an inch of work area:
IMAG0793.jpg

Very likely to be Tang Band W6-658I 6" mid/bass drivers and Tang Band 28-847SD 28mm tweets. I have some decisions to make before drivers and layout is set in stone, but as I allready have a set of towers with those drivers in them it would be convenient. I'll update the first post with more info on my situation later.

The oval pieces are pretty much finished. I dont have pics yet as I don't like to infest my phone with too much of this mdf dust from hell.

As for the "old" setup:

For two sets
47445_427440981385_613106385_5486546_610

Unfinished with one layer of paint, also current condition..
167833_488005401385_613106385_6554174_70

Very nice design

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Mock up
IMAG0804.jpg

First stage of gluing :) sorry for bad pic, even worse than the others..
IMAG0805.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hopefully I will continue on these nex week.

I got some fluffy stuff:

IMAG0845.jpg

Archived