Welcome to SMD Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SPL Gains!! Updates @page 30 (routing the port)

636 replies to this topic

fecupe2001

fecupe2001

Drunk SPL

• Members

• 5,564 posts
  • Interests:Car audio and hookers :D

Results so far!!

Gain:
- Moving box around the trunk until i found the sweet spot: 0.5 dbs
- Changing box size until i found the best one: 2.2 dbs
- Removing sub´s boot: 0.1 dbs
- Negative wire run from battery to amp instead of grounding it to the car: 0.3 dbs
- 2 extra batteries: 0.2 dbs (depend on the application, i was using SMALL power).
- Printing Vinyl inside the box to make it smooth: 0.4 dbs
- PVC round over on the pressure point of the box: 0.2 dbs
- Extertnal flare on an aeroport: 0.9 dbs
- Internal flare on an aeroport: 0.7 dbs
- Duct taped old screws holes on the box: 0.3 dbs
- Sunvisors folded down: 0.5 dbs
- Moving front seats all the way forward: 0.7 dbs
- Taking out floor mats: 0.1 dbs
- Front seats vertically: 0.3 dbs
- Center console empty and open: 0.2 dbs
- Covering the sub´s pole vent hole: 0.14 dbs
- Duct tape around the sub: 0.25 dbs
- Using 8 gauge from sub to amp instead of a POS wire: 0.22 dbs
- Cooling the cabin with the a/a: 0.45 dbs
- Rounding the sub hole: 0.28 dbs
- Rounding the external edges of the box: 0.17 dbs
- Armor all the whole interior of the car: 0.06 dbs

- OFC vs CCA vs Welding vs electrical wires: 0.1 - 0.2 dbs difference only!!

- Grounding battery to chassis : 0.3 dbs

- Routing the mouth of the port : 0.15 dbs (only 1/2" , should be higher with a bigger jig")

Lost
- Raising tuning: 0.3 dbs, this depends entirely on the car!!
- Installing 45´s on non pressure points of the box: 0.4 dbs
- Steering wheel at lowest position: 0.2 dbs
- Having 2 round ports with different sizes: 0.5 dbs
- Printing vinyl outside the box: 0.3 dbs
- PVC roundover outside the box: 0.2 dbs
- Opening the glove box: 0.2 dbs
- Closing a/a vents: 0.5 dbs
- Inverting the sub´s polarity: 0.3 dbs
- Changing from PVC roundover to mdf 45´s : 0.2 dbs

Hey guys, just wanted to post a couple of things i tried this week, i had some 3/4" MDF in my garage and said, what the heck! I built a sealed box to show people how you can find the resonant frequency of a car:

After that, i started some nice trials and mostly errors haha, but here are some tips, advices, gains, scoring drops, etc etc , i started taking pictures but i got bored of taking them, this is my 99 Ford Explorer wich is a "big" SUV and i tried a very SMALL cone area for it, testing was at the beggining with one of my 2512´s but sub barely moved because of the small power i was using and the tiny little box, so i changed to a crossfire BMF 375 watts sub, i was using an Almani 1500 watts amplifier wich i don´think it´s even a 1000 watts amplifier, but who cares,once again, this topic is not meant for braking any world record, i don´t care if the number sucks, this topic is only to show you guys a few tips on how you can gain some debeezzzz!!!!

Said all that, let´s start with the box, i did it this way because i wanted to try 3 different box sizes with this thing, see how much i could raise or drop by getting it bigger, also ,remember that raising or shrinking the internal space changes the tuning frequency, so yes i had to retune this box each time i changed the internal space, i had A LOT of 4" pvc pipe in my garage so i didn´t care, this is the box:

Sealed box , 1.1 cubic feet after sub displacement:
1006142.jpg

1006149i.jpg

Score with the sealed box:

sellada.png

After this, i drilled a hole for a single 4" PVC tube and got this box ported with an external port, this means that the box remained 1.1 cubic feet after sub displacement, i tuned this box to 42 hz

1006164.jpg

New score:
1354vl.png

After this, i tried box positioning, and found out that this box scored WAY BETTER by facing the sub to the driver side and the port to the back!!
New score:
1359p.png

This score was at 55 hz, so i knew box was way to small and i needed to raise the internal space, to be able to do it, i didn´t glue the box so i could open the box a few times without any problems, anyways, i raised the internal space from 1.1 cubic feet to 1.3 cubic feet.
1006169.jpg

New score at 53 hz:
137o.png

Edited by fecupe2001, 08 August 2013 - 12:26 PM.

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 Bass Race 149.9 Champ First Venezuelan Bass Race competitor and champion!! Loudforce Distributor for Latin America.

2 Loudforce 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm,  http://www.stevemead...ideo-on-page-3/

8 loudforce 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemead...-bandpass-wall/

fecupe2001

fecupe2001

Drunk SPL

• Members

• 5,564 posts
I always wanted to try taking out the boot of the sub, i saw a guy saying it raised his score 0.2 dbs , of course i wasnīt gonna pass the oportunity of trying this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next step was getting the box bigger, i raised the internal space from 1.3 cubic feet to 1.5 cubic feet with an external 4" PVC tube 12" long, this gave me around 39 hz, what i learned about this truck is that, no matter what you do, the thing likes to peak between 52 and 53 hz no matter where i tuned the box, of course the box was small so it was one of the reasons, here we go:

Posted Image

New score:

Posted Image

After this, i retuned my port from 39 hz to 42 hz trying to raise the tuning up for a better score, i was amazed of the result, honestly i thought i would raise a few tenths but i dropped to this:

Posted Image

So, i cut another piece of PVC and retuned to 39 hz again and my score got to 137.7 dbs again!!

The pictures about the scores END here, i honestly got bored of taking them, if you believe the scores nice, if not, then donīt bother to read the topic anymore :drinks:

Anyways, i changed the DD 2512 because the box was to small for it and the power was stupid small, so i installed a Crossfire BMF 12" wich is 375 watts, i raised 0.3 dbs by doing this, so, i went from 137.7 dbs to 138.0 dbs @ 53 hz.

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 Bass Race 149.9 Champ First Venezuelan Bass Race competitor and champion!! Loudforce Distributor for Latin America.

2 Loudforce 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm,  http://www.stevemead...ideo-on-page-3/

fecupe2001

fecupe2001

Drunk SPL

• Members

• 5,564 posts
There are TONS of people on this forum wondering how much you can gain by running a negative wire from the front battery to the amplifier instead of grounding it to the car, so , i disconnected the ground from the amplifier to the car and connected one of my negative runs that comes from the front battery to see how much a single negative run add to this application, went from 138.0 dbs to 138.3 dbs!!

Then, i connected my 2 batteries on the back and the other pos and neg runs, so i went from a single batt with 1 pos and 1 neg to 3 batts with 2 pos and 2 neg, my score raised from 138.3 dbs to 138.5 dbs!!

So this means, that the 2 batts on the back were giving me 0.2 dbs on this application, if you are wondering why i got a small gain about having 3 batts instead of a single batt, itīs because this amplifier is so small that it doesnīt need too much power, In other words, going from a single battery without a negative run to the back , to 3 batts and 2 + and 2 - gives me 0.5 dbs on this application!!

Ok, iīve ALWAYS wanted to try something different than the resin because itīs a pain in the ass to work with , and besides that, itīs expensive!!! Said that, we all know that the most of the time, you gain some by getting the surface of the box smooth as hell, since i have a printing supplies company, i took one my my PRINTING VINYLS and installed this thing inside of the box, if you guys wanna try this itīs way cheaper than the resin, also, i didnīt pay too much attention on details and ended up with a few scratches:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looking thru the port:
Posted Image

New Score: :pardon:

Posted Image

As you can see, the dumb ideas sometimes WORK!! there arenīt bad or stupid ideas on SPL, you have to try everything that comes across your mind, you never know whatīs gonna happen!!

Rebel4055

Rebel4055

TechForce Decals & Fried Chicken

• SMD Silver Member

• 6,075 posts
  • Interests:Gaming,PC's,Audio
Taking the boot of the sub was pretty interesting.. And finally someone confirmed the ground haha!

[color=rgb(255,255,0);]Rest In Peace mother.[/color]

[color=rgb(255,255,0);]January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013[/color]

http://www.stevemead...r/35351-megrch/

StrongmanDesigns

StrongmanDesigns

130db

• Members

• 443 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strongman, Car Audio
This is awesome man keep it going. I've been trying to find time to do testing like this myself.

fecupe2001

fecupe2001

Drunk SPL

• Members

• 5,564 posts
So far so good, we went from 134.6 dbs to 138.9 dbs on a single afternoon!!!

Anyways, it was time to move on to the 45īs , since i had A LOT of pvc, i prefered to try rounding the corners instead of building some wood 45īs , after this test i learned something IMPORTANT, this are the most crucial and dangerous things you can install inside of a box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How come?? oh well, here are the pics:
I striped a 4" pvc tube on 4 pieces, first i installed some vertical round overs:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Guess what??? i went from 138.9 dbs to 138.6 dbs by installing those things =@

After the 0.3 dbs lost, i took them out to confirm my last score and got a 138.9 dbs again!!

So, the next step, was to install a single horizontal round over!!

Posted Image

New Score: 139.1 dbs

Then, i installed a second horizontal round over close to the port:
Posted Image

This one dropped my score to 138.7 , took it out and got to 139.1 dbs once again.

fecupe2001

fecupe2001

Drunk SPL

• Members

• 5,564 posts

Taking the boot of the sub was pretty interesting.. And finally someone confirmed the ground haha!

Yeah man, that helped a lot hehe, well, glad i could confirm something, tons of new updates in a few minutes!

This is awesome man keep it going. I've been trying to find time to do testing like this myself.

Thanks a lot hommie, yes sir thereīs more coming up!!

fecupe2001

fecupe2001

Drunk SPL

• Members

• 5,564 posts
I have to go now, iīll update this topic tonight :popcorn:

cracker

cracker

160db

• 18+ All Access!

• 2,754 posts
  • Interests:car audio, custom autos, family, music, tacobell oh and sarcasm, if you cant laugh and joke then... your boring lol
i like this thread already :drinks:
March 2010 SOTM winner :)
my old buildhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/50219-dank-aka-crackers-bonne-new-v2-build-in-the-works-hahahaaaaaa/page__hl__crackers
my youtube page - http://www.youtube.c...jackiedan04#g/u
my feedback - http://www.stevemead...acker-feedback/
i need tacos and bass to live!!!!! and will NEVER change hahaaaa

TEAM NOIZE VIOLATION

Tebo

Tebo

145db

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
great post!

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =) sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200 sundown 100.4 2 way active... 2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweeters deka intimidator kenwood x396 big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

Ford302Redneck

Ford302Redneck

Forum N()()B

• Banned
  • 0 posts
I tested my Honda Accord one day, and I gained 2dBs just by moving seats, visors, and other stuff in the car. ;)

Ductape around the sub usually gains .1 or so. There is soooo many little things to do to gain. If you start at 145 with a plain install, a 148-9 is easily reachable in most cases. Just by doing little stuff.

I love doing tricks like this to gain SPL. I hope to buy a TL this spring just to test and have something to do.

I have a lot I want to myths I want to test, and a lot of things people say makes a difference I just don't believe.

Forevrbumpn

Forevrbumpn

Faultline Customs

• Members

• 8,337 posts
  • Interests:Faultline Customs
now try the carpeted box trick, how it lowers by like 0.3db+ :good:
Posted Image

I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

memphisBred

memphisBred

Chiefs Fanboy

• 18+ All Access!
  • 2,340 posts
Good stuff cupe. It's nice to have info like this for those are learning and those who enjoy reading about other ideas/tips.

[color=#0000cd;]SMD Super Seller/Buyer[/color]

[color=#b22222;]Audison----Hertz----Rainbow[/color]

Ford302Redneck

Ford302Redneck

Forum N()()B

• Banned
  • 0 posts

now try the carpeted box trick, how it lowers by like 0.3db+ :good:

Good one.

StrongmanDesigns

StrongmanDesigns

130db

• Members

• 443 posts
  • Interests:Family, Strongman, Car Audio
I was just about to ask if you were gonna try 45's but then you beat me to it. lol

I was pretty surprised that the pvc corners lowered your score.

Alex K

Alex K

160db

• Members
  • 2,682 posts
  • Interests:You know your children are growing up when they stop asking you where they came from and refuse to tell you where they're going.
More!!!
2004 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast 6 Speed Manual. Silverstone.
My Feedback Thread
Posted Image
Posted Image

i used to think a band pass was something you were around your neck or something.

Hugh G. Rection

Hugh G. Rection

Possum Nipples

• Members

• 4,076 posts
  • Interests:your moms vagoo
i see alot deebeez in there that you havent found yet........

[font="'comic sans ms', cursive;"]barack obama says we need to be more fiscally conservative? thats like a group of lepers judging a beauty contest.[/font]

fecupe2001

fecupe2001

Drunk SPL

• Members

• 5,564 posts
Thanks for the input guys, YES, carpet lower your score (at least thatīs what happened to me in the past)!!

Hugh, yes i know there is a lot more debeezzzz, so here we go :drinks:

Ok, i ended with a 139.1 dbs @ 53 hz on my last post, after that, i installed a PVC to round the external edge of the box, something i saw jacob from sundown and tons of other people trying, like this:

Posted Image

This little thing dropped my score to 139.0 dbs, so i took it out, burped again and saw my 139.1 dbs.

Then, i knew my port was way to small for this box, i mean, 8 SQ per cubic feet itīs small as hell, i wanted to get a bigger port but i only had 4" PVC around, i wanted to try a single 5" pvc port but i donīt want to spend money on this little "project" , SO, i went from a single 4" port to a couple of them, with this, i could have an idea of how much i would have gained with a 5" pvc port, i thought that, if i dropped my score 1 db or something like that by switching to 2 4īs , then with a 5" i would have gained A LOT!!! But, they are only assumptions, so, i got the 2 4"īs :

Posted Image

I went from 139.1 dbs to 138.5 dbs with this things, Iīm SURE that, with a single 5" port i would have raised at least a full db :peepwall:

Anyways, i closed the hole of that port as good as i could without spending ANY money or wood, i did it with a little square of mdf that i had on the floor, my score went from 139.1 dbs to 138.5 dbs, this means that this hole took 0.6 dbs from my score :(

Then, it was time to do some flares, i had a metalic bowl laying around, BUT, it was way too small, i tried to find another one but didnīt get any luck, so , i had to do the job by getting hot the tube on the small bowl and push the fucking tube down to a piece of wood i had, they end up looking like SHIT , i didnīt think i was gonna gain ANY with this been so badly heated, BUT :

Went from a 12" pipe to a 14" pipe, only EXTERNAL flare:
Posted Image

Posted Image

139.4 dbs, thatīs a HUGE gain if you ask me, take into account that iīve already lost 0.6 dbs because of the hole of the second port!! :pardon:

Then, i took out the sub and flared the other side of the port, i mounted thru the hole of the sub and attached them with cheap ass electrical tape, and what would you know?????

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

After this, i duct taped the holes of the box because remember that i raised the internal space by moving one of the walls, went from 140.7 dbs to 141 dbs.

THEN, i did my good old seats , central console and visors positioning, my two front seats all the way forward and folded vertically, visors vertically, center console empty and open:

Visors down: 141.5 dbs
Front seats forward: 142.2 dbs
Front seats folded vertically : 142.5 dbs
Center console empty and open : 142.7 dbs

IMPORTANT NOTE : Remember that i lost 0.6 dbs because of the second hole on the box, this means that i ended up with a 143.3 dbs @ 53 hz with a 375 watts sub and a cheap Almani amplifier.

After doing all this, i honestly called a done job because the box had way too many leaks, remember that i didnīt even glue it, small ass cone area for this car, smaller port that i would have wanted, etc etc etc etc!!!

I hope you guys enjoyed this short topic, iīm not a big expert on Burp boxes and there are TONS of other things that i couldnīt try on this little "project" , mostly because of the time, i have DB Drag finals this weekend and i have to work on the sexplorer and install everything again, BUT, the results are GOOD if you ask me!!!

I went from 134.2 dbs to 143.3 dbs in 2 days without spending a single dollar!!!

AA98hoe

AA98hoe

165db

• SMD Silver Member

• 3,606 posts
  • Interests:Installing car audio daily
what do you mean seats folded vertically? and did you try glove box open? and center console do you have a pic?
TEAM DC AUDIO
VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop
HEADUNIT:alpine 9886
PREAMP:arcaudio
FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door
KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4
REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s
HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors
SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV
SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s
ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket
WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back
BATTERIES:6-d1400s
TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

fecupe2001

fecupe2001

Drunk SPL

• Members

• 5,564 posts

what do you mean seats folded vertically? and did you try glove box open? and center console do you have a pic?

Remember that spanish is my main language so i might have said it wrong haha, is when you get where your back is and you move it, some cars score better all the way forward, others all the way back, my explorer scores A LOT better when i get them on a 90š positioning, understood me now? if not, i would have to take a pic to explain myself better!

Yes, i tried the glove box open and dropped 0.2 dbs, also, i tried to close the a/a vents and dropped 0.5 dbs, that one hurted!! i also want to try armour all on every spot of the dash and see if it gains anything, about the center console, no pic either, but is just the stock console emptied and opened :pardon:

Reply to this topic

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)