Second Skin Audio

Opinions on AA Havoc 18"

sprkn_ranger

I got some prices before from an authorized AA dealer and the BTL was cheaper than the Havoc

yes they are way to high who'd you call bro?

And you CAN fit 4 18's back there in a burban. I've seen it and wasn't complelety impressed. But i believe that was the equipment used. You wont need 2 AQ 3500.1's to power those Havocs. You dont need nearly that much power unless you have 4 mayhems or BTL's.

Johns.jpgSuburban Coming Soon

I got some prices before from an authorized AA dealer and the BTL was cheaper than the Havoc

And you CAN fit 4 18's back there in a burban. I've seen it and wasn't complelety impressed. But i believe that was the equipment used. You wont need 2 AQ 3500.1's to power those Havocs. You dont need nearly that much power unless you have 4 mayhems or BTL's.

You know the shop well, it's in Delaware

TDH FTW !!!

i was considering doing 2 12" havocs on a saz3500 but nick @ fi said that 2 havocs couldnt handle that much power :shrug:

I don't know how much a havoc costs, but a BTL costs fully loaded : 459 dollars.

havocs run quite a bit cheaper than that IIRC

yes.. but i meant using 2 BTL instead of 4 havocs ;)

And i think 2 havocs are more expensive then 1 BTL :)

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

18" Mayhem/BL/SSD/Xcon/Icon are better ported box subs than the 18" Havoc. The high qts of the Havoc makes it more sealed friendly and peakier in ported boxes...but some people like that. If you want better low-end extension as well as maintaining output, I'd go with one of the other subs I listed.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

You know the shop well, it's in Delaware

o shit when did you call them? who did you talk to?

18" Mayhem/BL/SSD/Xcon/Icon are better ported box subs than the 18" Havoc. The high qts of the Havoc makes it peakier in ported boxes...but some people like that. If you want better low-end extension I'd go with one of the other subs I listed.

Low end? no i would not touch the SSD for low end, been there and tuned a box for the low end. High excursion is very important for low end bass. And the performence is all in the box. I dont think they are that peaky at all i had 2 15's they need a good amount of airspace.

Low end? no i would not touch the SSD for low end, been there and tuned a box for the low end.

I got the 10"er to play quite low...

High excursion is very important for low end bass. And the performence is all in the box. I dont think they are that peaky at all i had 2 15's they need a good amount of airspace.

High excursions isn't that important in a low-tuned box(much more important in a sealed box), since excursion is limited the closer you get to tuning(Havoc only has 1/2" more p2p xmax anyways, and both motors/suspensions allow for a good deal more excursion past xamx). Also, I mentioned nothing about the 15" model not being a good ported box sub. For the Havocs, the 15's are quite different than the 18's, spec wise. The 15 is definitely more ported box friendly with it's lower qts, lower vas(half of the 18" model)...whereas the 18 is a higher qts, high vas, and low fs woofer...quite good for sealed boxes, or peakier ported boxes.

I would agree with you that even the 15" model needs a good amount of space in ported apps.

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

Low end? no i would not touch the SSD for low end, been there and tuned a box for the low end.

I got the 10"er to play quite low...

I designed and built a box for the 15's and the low end didn't impress me. So i threw my AQ 3500.1 on them and still wasn't all that impressed 36hz and up was nice but lower then that was meh

High excursion is very important for low end bass. And the performence is all in the box. I dont think they are that peaky at all i had 2 15's they need a good amount of airspace.

High excursions isn't that important in a low-tuned box(much more important in a sealed box), since excursion is limited the closer you get to tuning(Havoc only has 1/2" more p2p xmax anyways, and both motors/suspensions allow for a good deal more excursion past xamx). Also, I mentioned nothing about the 15" model not being a good ported box sub. For the Havocs, the 15's are quite different than the 18's, spec wise. The 15 is definitely more ported box friendly with it's lower qts, lower vas(half of the 18" model)...whereas the 18 is a higher qts, high vas, and low fs woofer...quite good for sealed boxes, or peakier ported boxes.

I would agree with you that even the 15" model needs a good amount of space in ported apps.

I have to disagree that Xmax is not that important to the low end and i wasn't alking about at tunning frequecny im talking about above and below. Since the low the note the slower the cone moves and has more time to get higher and higher on the same power. The higher the cone moves the more air it moves.

I have to disagree that Xmax is not that important to the low end and i wasn't alking about at tunning frequecny im talking about above and below. Since the low the note the slower the cone moves and has more time to get higher and higher on the same power. The higher the cone moves the more air it moves.

The tuning frequency isn't the only one where cone movement is controlled by the port. It goes a bit below tuning and a good 10hz above in most cases...install dependent though. Obviously the further you get away from tuning the less effect the port has on cone movement. Just for reference though, I have a 10" Assassin(original TC2+) in a 1.5ft^3 at 28hz box. I can easily play a 25hz tone without hardly moving the sub(even 20hz isn't that bad). Once I get above 35-40hz is where you start to noticeably more cone movement(smaller box will help controll this more). I have a very stout low-end compared to the rest of the response curve, but I hate having a peak in the 40-50hz area so it's all good to me.

It just depends on what you're playing as well, and what your personal preferences are. Tune low enough and you never have to worry about the sub unloading below tuning. If you never play music with content below 30-35hz, then feel free to tune higher for more output and turn on your ssf to be safe, if that's what you're after. I'll always be an advocate of low tuning though, and will pick my subs accordingly.

I'm not saying that xmax isn't an important figure, and generally more xmax is never a bad thing as clean excursion is always welcomed in my book. Xmax is a much more important figure if you're wanting to run a sealed box though, as output is purely a matter of air displacement.

Archived