A Suburban A Warhorse and a pair of Double Dees

Another small update and a lesson in project management. :P

Today I dabble in something I've never dabbled in before, making custom length RCA cables. :o

This is what I'm starting off with. Some Neutrik NYS 373 RCA ends, and a 25ft XLR microphone patch cable from 5150 Music Supply.

100_3754.jpg

Here is the wire stripped and ready for soldering. I cut off the copper conductor since RCA's require only two conductors. The spring and strain relief are in place, the cap is outside of the pic, but in line.

100_3762.jpg

This is what comes with in the Neutrik package. Good quality stuff, I like it. The wire size will determine which spring relief to use.

100_3766.jpg

I had always been iffy about making my own RCAs because of the soldering skill required. I always felt I needed a third hand to help feed the solder. A co-worker told me just to tin the hell out of the plug. Then apply heat through the wire while holding it in place. Sho' nuff, it worked. Here is the RCA, tinned to hell. o_o Also it helps to tin the soldering iron a bit.

100_3815.jpg

Here is the wire soldered on to the RCA end.

100_3829.jpg

The RCAs in place, front stage rockin' and a rollin'. :woot:

100_3770.jpg

For those wondering, the blue area is where I am going to cut through to eventually route the RCAs. :)

Now to that project management mumbo jumbo. Well, the Easter holiday is upon us for those you believe. For us, we use this holiday, amongst the other major holidays, to travel back west so the little ones can get reacquainted with the family. What better way to enjoy the nothingness of I-10 westbound from San Antonio to Hell Paso than in a Suburban. So I have put my project on a weekend hiatus, rocking only the front stage till we get back from the Easter Holiday. Project delays, one of life's thorn in the side. o_o Enjoy the holidays. :drink40:

you sir have amazing skills, from your fab skills on the battery rack to your install skills, its amazing. Such clean work, your attention to detail is impeccable. this build is awesome, i love it so far

Car: 1995 Thunderbird

System:

Pioneer deh5100ub HU

Pioneer/Lightning Audio 5x7's

1 Hifonics 1610D amp

2 Obsidian Audio 12's

4cu.ft. box tuned to 30hz

8 farad Boss Audio cap

4 gauge power/ground wire

Youtube

Facebook

coming along nicely! also i love harbour freight

bad place to go on pay day :lol:

Thanks. Your right about going there on payday. Honestly what I like most about that place is that you get to walk around and hold all the tools. Seeing them, touching them, and imagining how they work really gets ones creativity going. Yep, that's the place grown up kids like me go to day dream a bit. :P

you sir have amazing skills, from your fab skills on the battery rack to your install skills, its amazing. Such clean work, your attention to detail is impeccable. this build is awesome, i love it so far

Awesome, glad your enjoying it. :drinks: One of the things I overlooked in this project was the photography skills and the writing skills required to convey the work being done. The close-ups of the RCA's really kicked my a$$. I'd hate to count the number of pictures I took just to get the right one. It's not just taking the right picture, but also editing it that makes the difference. That's not even mentioning the words I put down to go along with the pics. Although I might sound like just another 17 year old punk, (I'm thirtysomethingthree by the way) it take a bit of time to come up with what I post.... I end here with a salute. Drinks up, pinkies out, to all those posting projects and their efforts behind the scenes to get their work posted, keep up the good work. :drink40:

• 2 weeks later...

Thread resurrect! What's happening? I'm back from Easter holiday and making progress over here. :) It's electrical work from here on out. I'm working my way from to from front towards the rear on this one. Up first installing the tejcurrent quad alternator bracket and my four 200amp Tuff Stuff Alternators.

The bracket install was far from smooth. For all those interested in the details of the bracket install I've started a thread in the product review section. Check it out HERE

I do have some pics to share here. Up first is the pre-assembled bracket just before it went in the vehicle.

100_3846.jpg

The backside.

100_3847.jpg

The whole sheabang ready to rock. :)

100_3919.jpg

Thread resurrect! What's happening? I'm back from Easter holiday and making progress over here. :) It's electrical work from here on out. I'm working my way from to from front towards the rear on this one. Up first installing the tejcurrent quad alternator bracket and my four 200amp Tuff Stuff Alternators.

The bracket install was far from smooth. For all those interested in the details of the bracket install I've started a thread in the product review section. Check it out HERE

I do have some pics to share here. Up first is the pre-assembled bracket just before it went in the vehicle.

100_3846.jpg

The backside.

100_3847.jpg

The whole sheabang ready to rock. :)

100_3919.jpg

Absolutely awesome! :drink40:

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

With the alternators in place its time to get the power wiring in. I'm starting off with some heavy duty grounds on the frame. I made some simple steel spacers to weld onto the frame. I want to make sure I got some solid grounds in place. I made a little template to get the locations spot on. Here is what I started off with. A handful of steel spacers my template and precision measuring and drawing tools. :P

100_3944.jpg

I located a convenient spot on the frame near the alternators and the front battery to use. I've prepped the area and will be laying out the hole locations with my template and high tech marking device.

100_3948.jpg

Holes are drilled and now I am following up by tapping the holes.

100_3953.jpg

I have tapped the spacers and have located them tightly against the frame with a bolt.

100_3955.jpg

Before I start welding the spacers in place I wrapped all the heat sensitive areas with multiple layers of premium heat shielding foil paper. o_o

100_3956.jpg

Tah-dah! Spacers welded, and I still have a suburban. ;)

100_3957.jpg

Here is a sneak preview of how it's all going to work.

DSC03450.jpg

:)

Archived