Sundown Audio

Soundstream SPLX BREAKING AGAIN

langsdon2

whats with all the gain stuff? its cleary a mechanical fault with the sub, not the amp. Clipped signal would have cooked the coil, not launched a spider spacer or retention ring, whichever one that is. Send the subs back and dont buy that make/model anymore apparently.

You are overlooking something important and only looking at the main issue. What would the point be in getting the equipment replaced only to then ruin it by such a simple oversight.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Meh clipping adds teh debeez :peepwall:

2005 Ford Ranger Reg cab

Build in Progress

T3 Audio T2000 12

ARC SE4000

Stinger HPM 1/0 Wire

DC power 270xp

Batts: 1 Redtop up front and a Stinger SPP2250 in the back

Hopes to be in and around a 150....weel see

my youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/steph3n1

imgsize.jpg

Team DBs (Driven By sound)

I'm guessing that you didn't use a scope to set your gains so just because the gain is "set to half way" doesn't mean that you aren't clipping the subs.

clipping wont caused the spiders to delaminate like that...

either your playing WAYYYY below tuning and reaching the mechanical limits of the woofer or theres bad glue joints.

edit: i just seen this was a two page topic and its been handled already.

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

tuned to 25 hz... stay tuned.

blazer

stroker 15

brutus bxi2006d terrible voltage drop

145.4@38HZ... SEALED LEGAL

Aim: chewieft09

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

my house is louder than your car...

can you swap these out for a different brand at the shop. plastic has no business being on a woofer especially in that area.

my cerwin vega v maxes had a 1 inch cardboard/resin spider spacer.. that didnt have issues.. i think this is a glue joint issue.

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

blazer

stroker 15

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

can you swap these out for a different brand at the shop. plastic has no business being on a woofer especially in that area.

my cerwin vega v maxes had a 1 inch cardboard/resin spider spacer.. that didnt have issues.. i think this is a glue joint issue.

X2 alot of companies use plastic spider retaining rings. Some are Audio Que, American Bass, the old RD SHW.mI dont recall any of them having any issues with the rings breaking

2005 Ford Ranger Reg cab

Build in Progress

T3 Audio T2000 12

ARC SE4000

Stinger HPM 1/0 Wire

DC power 270xp

Batts: 1 Redtop up front and a Stinger SPP2250 in the back

Hopes to be in and around a 150....weel see

my youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/steph3n1

imgsize.jpg

Team DBs (Driven By sound)

whats with all the gain stuff? its cleary a mechanical fault with the sub, not the amp. Clipped signal would have cooked the coil, not launched a spider spacer or retention ring, whichever one that is. Send the subs back and dont buy that make/model anymore apparently.

This is what I was thinking, when I read the first post, then I scroll down and see your clipping your amp, what do you expect.

Just cause he has his gains way half, and he didn't set it with a scope still doesn't mean the amp is clipping. You all are assuming it is.

Still a 1250rms sub, should take 1300watts clipped, but that isn't his problem.

But, since he had more than one break like this, it could possible be the install. Not correctly setting up the subsonic filter, and playing below tuning. But still, a quality woofer shouldn't have this happen. Quality control should of tested everything way past its limits to make sure nothing like this happens with users.

Goodluck. I've always heard SS subs wasn't the best quality, not saying all are like this but still. Its these little things that says a lot about a company.

Once again, the gain is not the issue here. Someone who is normally harping on people for logic and common sense I'm surprised this has escaped you.

The issue is setting gains with DMM and thinking that because its only turned halfway up the amp isn't putting out its full rms. The logic is seriously flawed and WILL lead to issues in the future. And then with expecting the manufacturer to cover it, they could easily use user error as an excuse to not replace the equipment. The issue was the gains were not set correctly, and thinking that because the gain was only turned halfway it was ok. This is not correct.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Once again, the gain is not the issue here. Someone who is normally harping on people for logic and common sense I'm surprised this has escaped you.

The issue is setting gains with DMM and thinking that because its only turned halfway up the amp isn't putting out its full rms. The logic is seriously flawed and WILL lead to issues in the future. And then with expecting the manufacturer to cover it, they could easily use user error as an excuse to not replace the equipment. The issue was the gains were not set correctly, and thinking that because the gain was only turned halfway it was ok. This is not correct.

I agree, but I still don't think this is why the sub had a problem.

He's not asking them to fix burnt coils, usually this is a good sign of clipping.

broken spider spacers are a good sign of clippin? i dont think so.

some stuff you say is smart.. some other things not so much

1250 watt sub taking 1300 clipped watts? wtf is that shit? :popcorn:

you can kill a 5k rms sub with 1000 watts of clipping..

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

blazer

stroker 15

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

broken spider spacers are a good sign of clippin? i dont think so.

some stuff you say is smart.. some other things not so much

1250 watt sub taking 1300 clipped watts? wtf is that shit? :popcorn:

you can kill a 5k rms sub with 1000 watts of clipping..

Rofl, a 1000rms clipped will not blow a 5000rms sub.

And yes, a respectfully a good 1250rms sub should be able to take 1300rms clipped. For how long? Who knows.. But still, it shouldn't blow up in 10 seconds, or shouldn't. If it does, it should not be rated at 1250.

I'll give you a example, I have a Sony amp, ~500rms. And a 12in Fi Q.

That amp will not blow that sub. Period. Won't do it. EVER. I've ran it wide open, with bass boost wide open, for 5+ mins playing 35hz sinewaves. Sub wasn't even warm.

Unless YOU have blown a 5000rms sub with 1000rms, don't say you can.

If 1000rms can cause damage to a "rated" 5000rms, it shouldn't be rated nowhere near that.

Archived