Can strait piping give me any more power?

I have a 1991 dodge shadow convertible turbo and I want to know how I can get a bit more power for a bit less cash.

Any ideas?

Cold air intake would cost you less than $50 in parts, and you can get an axleback exhaust for cheap.

If you don't have to deal with emissions testing you could get the cat deleted, bump up a pipe size or two. My friend has an N/A 2.5 Shadow that he will be putting a 2 1/4" axleback on. IDK if they still have the deal but he got it off Summit for $85, with a $75 mail-in rebate.

Too many projects, too little time...

you can actually lose power as well

WRONG. on a na car yes.. on a turbo car NO the less restrictive the better..

some engines need back pressure to run properly your being a 91 you might not have that problem but who knows

nope its a turbo car.. the less back pressure the better. the turbo will spool up faster and the car will run a ton better because it wont be as backed up.

if you have a turbo an open exhaust is good but it cant be to open, you need some back pressure otherwise you are going to boost creep like a mother

WAY wrong.. boost creep is caused by several things.. too small of a waste gate. and not being able to evacuate the exhaust gasses enough to control the boost.. if you set your boost to say 10 lbs with no exhaust on. and then bolt exhaust on the boost WILL spike. case in point. my buddys spiked to almost 25 lbs from a 10 lb boost setting just by bolting the stock exhaust back on.. the stock exhaust is restrictive and will build excess pressure up causing a false boost reading.. just cause your guage says 15 lbs doesnt mean your flowing it..

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

tuned to 25 hz... stay tuned.

blazer

stroker 15

brutus bxi2006d terrible voltage drop

145.4@38HZ... SEALED LEGAL

Aim: chewieft09

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

my house is louder than your car...

you can actually lose power as well

WRONG. on a na car yes.. on a turbo car NO the less restrictive the better..

some engines need back pressure to run properly your being a 91 you might not have that problem but who knows

nope its a turbo car.. the less back pressure the better. the turbo will spool up faster and the car will run a ton better because it wont be as backed up.

if you have a turbo an open exhaust is good but it cant be to open, you need some back pressure otherwise you are going to boost creep like a mother

WAY wrong.. boost creep is caused by several things.. too small of a waste gate. and not being able to evacuate the exhaust gasses enough to control the boost.. if you set your boost to say 10 lbs with no exhaust on. and then bolt exhaust on the boost WILL spike. case in point. my buddys spiked to almost 25 lbs from a 10 lb boost setting just by bolting the stock exhaust back on.. the stock exhaust is restrictive and will build excess pressure up causing a false boost reading.. just cause your guage says 15 lbs doesnt mean your flowing it..

damn... it sounds like you know your shit. :good:

I have a 1991 dodge shadow convertible turbo and I want to know how I can get a bit more power for a bit less cash.

Any ideas?

Cold air intake would cost you less than $50 in parts, and you can get an axleback exhaust for cheap.

If you don't have to deal with emissions testing you could get the cat deleted, bump up a pipe size or two. My friend has an N/A 2.5 Shadow that he will be putting a 2 1/4" axleback on. IDK if they still have the deal but he got it off Summit for $85, with a $75 mail-in rebate.

since its a turbo car more than likely the mass air flow is in front of the turbo..

if so then a cold air intake will do him nothing..since when air compresses it heats up..now if it doesnt have a intercooler or a has a tiny one the biggest upgrade he can do to improve intake temps is install a aftermarket front mount.

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

blazer

stroker 15

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

damn... it sounds like you know your shit. :good:

you could say that... but i just hate people getting false info.

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

blazer

stroker 15

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

Any ideas?

since its a turbo car more than likely the mass air flow is in front of the turbo..

if so then a cold air intake will do him nothing..since when air compresses it heats up..now if it doesnt have a intercooler or a has a tiny one the biggest upgrade he can do to improve intake temps is install a aftermarket front mount.

what is it? and what does it do?

i found this... An intercooler (original UK term, sometimes aftercooler in US practice), or charge air cooler, is an air-to-air or air-to-liquid heat exchange device used on turbocharged and supercharged (forced induction) internal combustion engines to improve their volumetric efficiency by increasing intake air charge density through nearly isobaric (constant pressure) cooling, which removes the heat of compression (i.e., the temperature rise) that occurs in any gas when its pressure is raised or its unit mass per unit volume (density) is increased. A decrease in intake air charge temperature sustains use of a more dense intake charge into the engine, as a result of supercharging. The lowering of the intake charge air temperature also eliminates the danger of pre-detonation (knock) of the fuel air charge prior to timed spark ignition. Thus preserving the benefits of more fuel/air burn per engine cycle, increasing the output of the engine. Intercoolers increase the efficiency of the induction system by reducing induction air heat created by the turbocharger and promoting more thorough combustion. They also eliminate the need for using the wasteful method of lowering intake charge temperature by the injection of excess fuel into the cylinders' air induction chambers, to cool the intake air charge, prior to its flowing into the cylinders. This wasteful practice (when intercoolers are not used) nearly eliminated the gain in engine efficiency from supercharging, but was necessitated by the greater need to prevent at all costs the engine damage that pre-detonation engine knocking causes.[1]

they take the charge from the turbo and cool it.. kinda like adding a cold air intake on a na car.. but since air heats when it compresses and it passes through something that is as hot as your exhaust.. you need something to cool the charge.. the cooler the charge the more power you make and the higher amount of boost you can run before detonation occurs.

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

blazer

stroker 15

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!