DC Sound Lab

Overpowering 12" XL's

It's time to step up from my 15" XL and Crescendo in the Alero. I will be ordering my new amp tomorrow night. I will just say that I will be running 5,000 watts rms total. :)

From what I have read, and have developed my "generic" numbers from, is that I will want to get about 1.5 ft^3 per driver. Now, running 5k (2.5k per sub)would this 1.5 figure be low enough to maintain control with a 32Hz tuning? Also, if there are any suggestions on a good figure for port area from experience, that would be helpful as well!

Recommended ft^3:

Recommended Port Area:

The box will be full of resin, all-thread, and 45's. I want to try to cut down on my losses due to rise and make this thing solid.

This will be my first setup running a driver smaller than 15". My current XL is sitting in around 3.1 ft^3 at 32Hz. I probably could have yielded better results settling for 3.0ft^3, but I am where I am. At this size, she handles the Crescendo 3k with ease. As far as 12"s, I am seeking some professional help from the best community I can find online. :)

Thanks ahead for the help guys!

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Am I reading this right, you wanna try 1.5 cu for a XL 15? I can tell you this must. I dont see an issue running 2 xl's on a 5k. Even in a prefect world, if the subs seen the whole 5k of clean power, you dont have enough to destroy the XL's from overpowering. Now if your clipping them to hell and back then you will have a problem. I have found where my XL 15's come apart at with too much power. But with a few changes there going strong and doing way more damage then before.

Oh haha sorry if I wasn't too clear man.

A pair of 12" XL's. I am selling the 15" XL to a local friend and helping him with the install. After four boxes, I figured out that my 15" XL liked 3 cubes while running off of my Crescendo 3kwp.

Now, I am moving on to a pair of 12" XL's. I was wondering what type of internal volume I should look into. 1.5 ft^3 per subwoofer. This creating 3.0 ft^3 of internal airspace after all bracing and displacement are taken into effect. 3.0 ft^3 is my general and "generic" guess based on similar setups and results. I was asking what others may have thought. Also, regarding port area, I was wondering if anyone happened to have a "sweet spot" for these drivers, especially under this power, as opposed to sticking with the general 12-16 in^2 per ft^3 saying.

"Sounds fine" works for me for now. lol I'll keep seeing what everyone has to say for the time being. My build won't take place for a bit until I get my buddies car taken care of. I'll be sure to get at you in a week or so to see what you're finding. Thanks man. :good:

man dont overpower, thats a terrible idea.

i would design you a box, but DC dosent put the VAS of the XL's on there site ~facepalm~

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

Haha you don't think I can handle running more than the rms rating of the sub man? I think i'll be okay. I've been running around 2X the rms on my 15" XL for over a year now with no problems. :) The 12"s would ONLY be seeing around 2500wrms anyways. lol

And I appreciate the box offer! But I think i'll be just fine. :) I enjoy running the numbers and figuring out exactly what I need to do/ can fit into my trunk. I'm just checking to make sure that my idea on 3 ft^3 will work out. It has been what I've seen on SA12 and Lvl 4 builds here and there on similar power, so i'm hoping this can give me somewhat of a guide. :pardon:

You'll be fine overpowering 12" xls iirc skittles on here has 2 12"xls on 2 cresendo 3ks. I just bought some 12" xls too and I'm going 1.75ft^3 each sub and throwing an aq3500d.1 at em.

Edited by StreetSlappah

Refs-(b.f.) 99vic, WCA Rusty(x3) Nathan@XSPOWER, Ampjunkielikeme, Bread0710, AmiCreations (s.t.) REsLaPz, PandaGT(x2), Keiferacing, Juicemane (t.w.) Powski, Big gil[/center]

Build Log

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/77726-sss-celica-dc-buildupdate-611-finished/

2005 subi STi 380whp 355whp

17" gold bbs

5% tint all around w/sunglare strip

JVC dvd double din

Knuconceptz 4ga wiring

XS Power!

Big 3

8" SAv2 d2

1800 audiopipe

~Sigh~ you people with your small enclosures and high tuning.

24pm3xe.jpg

im taking out my passenger seat, battery is disconnected, going to unwire and take out the three amps, take out the 70+ lb box, then the platform so i can crimp 1 wire.

Almost as bad as those fegs that put those horns in their grills and roll down the street distorting the block....

1990 Jeep Cherokee 2 Dr.

Big-3 in 0g on Stock Alt.

Pioneer 6.5" and 5.25"s temp. until i can afford the new crescendos.

Pioneer 6000ub Reciever

NO amps at the moment. SA-15 on 1kw coming soon.

MSG Me for a free enclosure design!!

Flared port kits coming soon!!

i thought i told you, go for 2 cubes. play with the port but 2 cubes will get them moving pretty good. sorry, i know i didnt give a lot of good info. funny that budget says not to over power. after imp rise you could be down to 1000-1500w. thats not over powering them at all. plus tons of people run 3k to each XL and really dont have any problems with it. only way i fuck up my XLs is because i played a song i didnt know, hammered a lot note and ripped the spiders. the coil looked brand new. and those were about 1 year old.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.