Sundown Audio

Voltage Ratings-

soundman72

Ok guys, here's my question-

Why the f&*k does the twelve volt market (at least now days) constantly rate their amps (most, not all) using a higher voltage than a 'typical' system can supply?

Typical vehicle....12.xx volts.... so i want components that are based off my need. Why do so many manufacturers now, rate power @ 13.xx, 14.xxx etc?

We have all seen something like- 500w x1 at 4ohms (@ 14.4 volts) where as the actually power output at 12.xx volts will be much lower.

We have the 2006 standard, which amp makers can choose to follow or not, but does it not have something in there regarding voltage testing?

I can't support a huge system, electrically, but I should be able to find an amp with accurate figures based on my need; 12.xx volts.

If this isn't part of the 2006 write up- the next version should mandate they MUST list wattages for a standard voltage (12.xx), then whatever the hell else they want.

Anyone else, with respect to those who don't have a huge f'in electrical system, have this same problem? Even rating of 13.xx volts piss me off. That is NOT what my system will support! This is the 12v market, not the 13.3, the 14.4, 16v , etc etc.

"My amp will do 1,000 watts @4 ohms! (ratings calculated using a voltage your car will never produce! Ha! we sold you an amp!)"

90% of vehicles (made up percentage) alternators are regulated to output power at 14.4 volts. With a healthy "12v electrical" a constant 14.4 voltage is the normal.

Running complete stock electrical with stock alternator and battery, no big 3 I ran a audiopipe 1500D and never dropped below 13.xx at idle and 1,000rpm^ never dropped below 14.5v

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Nearly no cars are regulated at 14.4 volts. Typically anything between 13v and 15v is good enough for most manufacturers.

OP, do you even have a volt meter? Or any experience in the audio field? There are people running 16v batteries, which charge up to 18v. That means the amp gets 18v. Got it?

:shrug:

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.

Car off my voltage sits between 12.8-13.1. On is 14-14.8v. This is with one XS D3400 and stock alt. Big 3 in 0g. Stock battery with no big 3 was close. Same voltage running but the battery sat at 12.6-12.9 with the car off

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Strange- Then maybe you guys can help me out-

I've measured numerous vehicles amp side. And like mine, they showed right around 12.5-12.8 volts. That is running.

And Chris, yes and yes-

check voltage at the battery and alt. if its still 12.x with the car on, you have a bad alt. if its 13.8+ then you have a bad connection for the amp somewhere.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived