ok so yesterday i purchased a 1984 nissan datsun 200sx 1.8L turbo. it was running extremely rough when i bought it. it wouldnt go over like 60. when coming to a stop unless you kept your foot on the gas it would die. it revs very slow also. anyways lastnight i took it out for a testdrive and the farther i went the worse it got it would barely make it up the hill in first. finally it was barely moving so i pulled off the road and it just shut off now it wont restart it will catch and fire for 3-5 seconds and shut back off also when it does start the gas has no affect on anything please help im at a loss here?

check fuel filter..

put a quick shot of starting fluid in a vacuum line and see if it will kick.

also check for vacume leaks..

get a bucket of water ready.. spray starting fluid where all the vacum lines and intake hoses one by one as you have a freind try and start it.

Edited by chewie

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

tuned to 25 hz... stay tuned.

blazer

stroker 15

brutus bxi2006d terrible voltage drop

145.4@38HZ... SEALED LEGAL

Aim: chewieft09

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

my house is louder than your car...

there are so many things that this could be. and from here all we can do is have you look and check things. if you are willing to put in the work i will keep an eye on this thread and try to help you. but you can not expect an answer. i will help you diagnose it but thats all i can do without the car.

1.so first off do what was already told to you. spray starting fluid on vacuum lines, and around the intake manifold.

2.check your air filter!!!...

3.if you have tools available to you, you might want to take a look at your fuel pressure (see if your fuel pump went bad)(very good possibility)

4.then check for spark, if you can get a spark tester then great, if not you can use an old spark plug or even take one of yours out and only crank for 2 seconds and see if you can see a spark... also check your spark plugs, and wires, and coils, or whatever you have on that car.

5.check the oil!!!!!

6.do you have a boost gauge? what does that read? let me know what you get for all of this.

try not to miss anything....

ok so it does run on starting fluid. air filter is good. i dont have the tools to check the pressure but i can hear it come on and i am getting fuel through the filter. i pulled a couple plug wires and i am getting spark. i just changed the oil the other day. bosst guage reads in the middle but when it was running it only read liek 3 psi but the car was running super crappy with no throttle response. i think i may have some bad fuel injectors cause if i unplug the back one it makes no difference on how the car tries to start. i replaced the injector relay thinking that might be the problem but it didnt make a difference

take the fuel filter off and try and blow through it.. it should be free flowing.. if not then thats causing a issue.

do you have acess to a air compressor?

if so make a boost leak tester..

google it you will see how to make it..that way you can track down any leaks easily

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

blazer

stroker 15

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

yea i would go with the injectors....

if you really think its the injectors test them with a multimeter and read the ohms..

than pull them and energize them with a 9 v square battery.. as you flush them out with brake cleaner.. if they click and release pressure. they are fine.. usually theres some crud that will clog them. the brake clean will blast it out.

91 dodge colt gt..

4 custom t600 15s

audioque 3500d.1

blazer

stroker 15

www.t3audio.com

carpe diez nuts !!

ok first off i wanna thank you guys for all the help. now i think i have found the problem im thinking it is the fuel pump not putting out enough pressure. if i turn the key to the on position and i hear the pump prime then i go to start it the engine catches for a second then free cranks and doesnt catch again. if i turn the key on and off two more times after this and let the pump prime it will catch again and free crank. also when it was running it would always stall out coming to a stop but if you werent driving and were just setting still it would idle. so do you guys agree with the fuel pump being bad? also can i get a pump out of an 85 300zx and make it work in my 200sx? thanks for all the help

ok yes it could be the fuel pump. and if the part number is the same then yes you can use the other pump, but fuel pumps generally are not to expensive and in my opinion i would never use a used fuel pump... its a wear item. buy a new one...