Remington or Mossberg  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Remington 870 HD 12 ga or Mossberg 500 12ga?

I spent some major time looking at the two today at dicks sporting goods (gf was prom dress shopping) and I think I am going to go with the Remington because of how easy the barrel switch is for hunting. Also I really enjoy the ghost ring sights and the overall feel feels better to me. A further down the road option would be the mossberg 930 tactical.

Oh and side note I found out today that indiana changed their carry laws in January to get rid of the 21 to buy and 18 to carry loop hole. now unless grandfathered in you have to be 21 to carry :(

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

I was surprised when I seen this topic and then found out how many actually like the mossberg. I'm not bashing the gun in anyway but here is my experience with the two mentioned above. I live in the duck hunting capital of the world and have never owned a mossberg due to the things I have seen but I have owned two 870's, one 12ga 870 wingmaster and the other was 12ga. 870 express super magnum 3 1/2".

We are know to put an excessive amount of shots through these things during duck season especially if you are a guide. I think the mossbergs are decent guns when they are new but if I have hunters that have used it more than 3 or 4 seasons I tend to duck and run. I like the thumb safety convenience but I have seen a handful of the thumb safetys broken or missing after a hunt on the mossbergs that were used a couple of seasons. I have also seen a couple that looked like they were about to fall apart, now granted some of these owners are not the most meticulous at taking care of their guns and a duck gun can see a lot of abuse and neglect with all the mud, water, rain, dogs shaking off to dry and not to mention a few clumbsy, half hung over, rich, doctors and lawyers knocking them around and on to the bottom of the flooded rice field. You get my point.

I have seen hundreds of 870's that have 10 or more seasons on them and get the same kind of abuse and besides the well worn look, they still function flawlessly. My wingmaster was about 15yrs old when I sold it to a friend a few years ago and it is still going strong. The 870 remington is a well rounded gun that was built to last and very good for the price and I have seen and shot several beretta and benelli's and winchesters and still recommend the Remington for a great shooting and reliable gun at a good price. Note: The Benelli (Nova, M2,Super Black Eagle), Barreta (390, 391), Browning(Gold) and Winchester(1100 and SX2) are all great duck guns that can take the abuse for a long time. Just thought I would share my experience hope this helps.

"Drive it Like you Stole it!"

• 4 weeks later...

I passed on both and went with the beast Mossberg 590. My buck M9 fits nicely on it. Pistol grip with folding stock too.

2 Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3D412 in a 4.75 cu. ft sealed box.

Alpine Type-R SPR-17S 2-way component 6.5"

Alpine SPR-57C 5" x 7" 2-Way Coaxial Speaker (Pair)

RF T1000-1bdCP

Alpine MRP-F300

62.5 SQ Ft. Audio Wrap

Stinger SPC122 Capacitor 1 Farad Chrome w/Blue Neon

Limo Tint All Back 5 Windows

2mgqurs.png

358c1w1.gif

computergeek.jpg

Archived