Sonic Electronix

Alternator for Blazer - Budget concious?

I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer 4.3L V6 and have been looking for a alternator on a budget! I have found a few cheap options on Ebay and on DB Electrical. Here's the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170605521671&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://www.dbelectrical.com/c-4993-200-amp.aspx

Are these going to hold up? Any experience with either? The Ebay one I'm looking at is $235 shipped. This is the email reply they sent. Seems extremely cheap. it has a larger case but smaller pulley and will fit OEM bracket. New, not a rewind or refurb.

HI,

it's made in USA

by transpo electronic

on 1200rpm should give you 270 amp

maximum output power watt 2117 watt

I just don't want to buy a alt that doesn't hold up or isn't going to put out it's rated.

Background: I am currently running a powerbass 4000d on an 18 BTL with a stock alt and 2 sprinter batts (125ah a piece). My voltage drops to 12.5-13V when I crank it and rests at 14.4-15V when off. Not terrible but I want to try some comps this summer and it drops significantly while idling!!! I am going to change my system (in progress)and will be running 2 powerbass 3000d's on 2 Treo SSX's. That is a major increase in voltage requirements and I would like to run in my first comp this summer :woot: without being laughed out of it because of V drop! I have never ran an HO alt, I usually just increase my voltage bank enough to compensate. I just installed one in a buddy's car on a SAZ3500 and he has NO voltage drop even while idling so that made me reconsider!!!

If anyone has any other options for an alternator or selling a used one that will fit please reply. Appreciate your input guys!

I understand you are on a budget... I'm looking for the exact same alternator. But you will get what you pay for. I can get a 240 amp alternator locally for 275 bucks...but it wont put out anything at idle. If I were you, I would save for something good. I'm saving for a mechman. Lots of idle output, and they are built to be beat on daily.

-98' Ford Expedition (Rest in Peace)

-AVH-P3300BT

-Crescendo BC5500

-4 18" DC m2 Level 3.

Id check out excessive amperage man. I love mine, and didnt cost as much

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

I understand you are on a budget... I'm looking for the exact same alternator. But you will get what you pay for. I can get a 240 amp alternator locally for 275 bucks...but it wont put out anything at idle. If I were you, I would save for something good. I'm saving for a mechman. Lots of idle output, and they are built to be beat on daily.

I dont have much drop now so I'm not sure how much I need to increase my output. I am affraid of buying something that can't handle daily though! The DB idles at 105. That DC looks nice and I've heard great things but by the time I add ship its up there in price. I just don't want to spend a fortune because I don't think I need all that much more?.?.

If you find a great deal let me know though, sounds like your in the same boat.

They have another one for less... I think 170 max and 130 idle

Yeah they have a 185 that idles at 130. Do you think that would handle that load? That's amazing it idles at 55A less than with a higher RPM!

If it were me I would pay the little bit extra and get a higher amp Alt. It's better to pay a little extra now than get a cheapo one and it fail and then have to buy the one you should of in the first place. Or buy one that isn't enough output go through the hassle of trying to sell it and buying the one you should of.

you win some, you lose some

They have another one for less... I think 170 max and 130 idle

Yeah they have a 185 that idles at 130. Do you think that would handle that load? That's amazing it idles at 55A less than with a higher RPM!

If it were me I would pay the little bit extra and get a higher amp Alt. It's better to pay a little extra now than get a cheapo one and it fail and then have to buy the one you should of in the first place. Or buy one that isn't enough output go through the hassle of trying to sell it and buying the one you should of.

That is my EXACT fear!!! Just want to make sure I purchase the correct one and have to do it once! But I also want to find the best deal possible you know. I know on paper if you run the calcs I technically need a 250-270 with what I'm running but I have a stock 100 and it really doesn't do too bad with the excessive battery bank I have. I am surprised the stock alt is doing as well as it is to be honest!