Sonic Electronix

Underpowering...But Clipping?

ok genius...now it's time for me to be an asshole...a clipped signal is an alternating direct current signal. it goes from positive DC to negative DC...you are sending DC to your sub when you send a clipped signal. WHY THE FUCK DO I HAVE TO DO THIS 3 TIMES A WEEK???

lots of people will say that an oscillating square wave is not DC, but it doesn't matter the effect is all the same.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

ok genius...now it's time for me to be an asshole...a clipped signal is an alternating direct current signal. it goes from positive DC to negative DC...you are sending DC to your sub when you send a clipped signal. WHY THE FUCK DO I HAVE TO DO THIS 3 TIMES A WEEK???

lots of people will say that an oscillating square wave is not DC, but it doesn't matter the effect is all the same.

lots of people are mistaken

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

lots of people are mistaken

and I will trust you on this one. my step father (who was a skilled trades electrician) said it was DC as well. That makes 2 people that can explain it and I KNOW he knows his shit, sounds like you know yours as well. I got lured into reading other forums that argued a clipped signal wasn't DC but acted the same way. Now I have been set straight in my ways!

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

too much average power kills speakers....Heat is directly proportional to average power. The shape of the wave doesn't matter at all (other than of course it can change the amount of power).

when the speaker stops moving when it reaches the top and the bottom peaks of the clipped off sine wave, the voice coil cooling stops being effective because, guess what, nothing is moving to utilize it.

too much average power kills speakers....Heat is directly proportional to average power. The shape of the wave doesn't matter at all (other than of course it can change the amount of power).

too much power does kill speakers. duh. But how much is too much? that depends on the speaker

The shape of a wave DIRECTLY effects how the speaker moves. the more square in your wave, the less time the speaker spends moving. THUS LESS TIME COOLING.

F150:

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

if, over the course of 100 seconds (average power per second for the sake of argument, and we won't factor frequency)...the coil has a nominal power rating of 100 watts. over 99 of those seconds the coil sees 0 watts, but during 1 second the coil sees 10,000 watts. that's an average of 10 watts...but that 1 second transient is going to destroy the coil...

again...you ready to have your feelings hurt?

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

if, over the course of 100 seconds (average power per second for the sake of argument, and we won't factor frequency)...the coil has a nominal power rating of 100 watts. over 99 of those seconds the coil sees 0 watts, but during 1 second the coil sees 10,000 watts. that's an average of 10 watts...but that 1 second transient is going to destroy the coil...

again...you ready to have your feelings hurt?

i have no idea what the fuck you just said...totally not trying to throw this thread off topic but how does the coil see 0 power for >99 seconds. i understand the part about the single burst of 10kw averaging out to 10 watts over 100 seconds though.

Archived