I can't seem to figure out why 2 of my power windows wont work in my car. The drivers side front window and passenger side rear window wont go up or down. Yet the other 2 windows seem to work just fine. I checked all the switches using a volt meter and all switches and all had power cept the main one on the drivers door. Only a couple those switches seemed to be getting power to them. Am I lookin at new switches? I'm pretty sure its not the motors since 2 went out at the same time.

Checking for power at the switches is the first and easiest test.

If you have power at all switches when you push them, then they are normally fine.

The next thing you can try is get a jumper wire (speaker wire works great) and put a sharp little prop to poke into the factory wiring inside the door as close to the power window motor as possible. If the window goes up or down you know the motor is good.

Maybe you can goto a local junk/salvage yard and see if they have the window switch you can buy, or at least one you can use to test if your switches are bad or not, and if they are buy the switch from them. Most places will usually let you try a simple part like that to see if thats your problem.

Also make sure the other window switches work, test them too!!!

Usually the windows will not work if you have a broken switch in the back, some vehicles that will break the circuit so you would think that its your main switch that is shot, but it could just be the single window switch on the door.

Checking for power at the switches is the first and easiest test.

If you have power at all switches when you push them, then they are normally fine.

The next thing you can try is get a jumper wire (speaker wire works great) and put a sharp little prop to poke into the factory wiring inside the door as close to the power window motor as possible. If the window goes up or down you know the motor is good.

Maybe you can goto a local junk/salvage yard and see if they have the window switch you can buy, or at least one you can use to test if your switches are bad or not, and if they are buy the switch from them. Most places will usually let you try a simple part like that to see if thats your problem.

Also make sure the other window switches work, test them too!!!

Usually the windows will not work if you have a broken switch in the back, some vehicles that will break the circuit so you would think that its your main switch that is shot, but it could just be the single window switch on the door.

I did test all the switches, not sure how one of the other switches could of gone bad since they are not used. I only use the main ones.

year make and model of car?

you checked fuses? relays? do you hear a click when you push the button?

93 ford taurus gl, checked fuses yes, no on relays (not sure where they are) and yes on the clicking of the switches

Ok so today I got around to workin on the power window failure and discovered somthing. The motor was good. I got around to check everything again and only thing I can come up with is that the little control module? or whatever it is has gone bad. Cause I pulled all the fuses and all checked good, tested the switches and they got power going to them. But when I checked at the connector to the motor I got nothing. Any one have any ideas? I'm pretty sure I wasted $55 on a motor I don't need.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so drivers side front and passenger rear power windows still don't work. Motors are good, fuses check out fine, tested them with a ohm meter. Got a switch from azagtoth502, but that didnt fix it. So anythoughts?

fordwindow1.jpg

fordwindow2.jpg

For the passenger rear window I would disconnect connector 801 and test from there. Diagram states what you should see with voltmeter depending on switch position. I would do a quick check with ohm meter, both wires should have continuity to ground when switches are at rest. Make sure when you are testing the system that you have the switches installed on the wiring harness.

The drivers front window switch provides power and ground for all the other doors.

Front window should have the same thing at connector 503 but the solid state module will need to be checked as well.

Edited by toytrkdrvr