Sundown Audio

Right Amp For Re Sx 18?

REAudio50

the BTL is not your ordinary sub. Its an "Extreme " sub. the 2k is the recommended amount of power for daily use. the btl can handle a lot more power, however u have to be an excellent box designer to do so. 2k+ watts is no joke, you have to be prepared.

to add to this just because you have an AWESOME box does NOT mean your automatically banging 5k rms on your 2k rms subs

Here is a question about the US Amps XT-1000D amp. It says its a 1000 watt amp but then it says its RMS is 600 watt RMS at 1 ohm. How does an amp have RMS also? I thought that subs were the ones that were. Can someone explain this to me?

amps, subs, speakers, and decks can all have rms and max power ratings. max power ratings like stated before dont mean anything. rms is the only thing you should look at. Max power ratings are basically inflated numbers companies come up with to "trick" people that dont have the knowlage into thinkin that a product can handle or produce more power than it actually can. So with that said if the SX is rated to handle 1000 watts RMS. so just find and amp that puts out like 1000-1300 watts RMS @ 1 ohms or 4 ohms and you should be safe then. You dont have to overpower a sub to get it to be loud....in some situations it can be louder but if the sub was ment to handle that much power the company would rate it at that. over powering a sub is no joke, even if you have a sub like the BTL if you dont know what your doing you will blow something up sooner or later. as long as you put it in a decent box you should be plenty happy with the output increase over the old jl 10 you had.

The XT4000D accordman is selling would be a good amp for the sub. I believe it does 1500 RMS @ 1 ohm

Guest MegaloManiac

to add to this just because you have an AWESOME box does NOT mean your automatically banging 5k rms on your 2k rms subs

i agree, hence the having to be prepared part i said :P. but glad its clear.

I dunnow about the rest of you but since the box I'm currently working on is my first real build(without just helpin friends do carry something) I'm just gonna lay low and go with the recommended rms...2 18" btl's should be loud enough without more watts...

A vitrolic, megalomaniacal sadistic psychopath.

Are you guys saying that the US Amps XT4000D amp would be a very good amp for what I have right now??? Its a 1500 watt @1 ohm

JL Audio XR 6.5 Components

Pioneer Head Unit

JL Audio e4300 amplifier

RE Audio SX 18

US Amps Xterminator XT4000d amp

Stinger 1.2 farad Capacitor

Optima Yellow top battery

alright thanks a lot man!!! haha thats the kind of answer I wanted the whole time!!!! im already looking at one of those right now!!!

JL Audio XR 6.5 Components

Pioneer Head Unit

JL Audio e4300 amplifier

RE Audio SX 18

US Amps Xterminator XT4000d amp

Stinger 1.2 farad Capacitor

Optima Yellow top battery

• 1 year later...

i have a 18" re sx dvc 4ohm wired to my mtx 1501d @ 2ohm load. the sub is installed in a ported enclosure thats 6.5 cuft after displacements (i know its on the small side). my amp is rated at 1000 watts rms @ 2ohm but i know it puts out more than that. after 20 mins of heavy abuse the sx started to smell (voice coil glue) probably cause i had my amp hooked up to a regular car battery i had lying around. volts dropped to around 10 or 11 volts at full tilt which clipped the signal causing the sub voice coils to get hot. as long as your electrical system is up to par and your gain is set right you will be fine if you go alittle over 1000wrms.

Archived