Cut the door panels and started to prepare them for glassing. I was very nervous about cutting them up but got it done. Didn't even finish taping the first before I had to clock in so I will be taping the second and glassing tomorrow. Here is the layout I am thinking about. Either this or throwing the tweeter in towards the top via a hole saw and just gluing it in.

IMG_20140523_093003_051.jpg

Need to make my decision by Saturday night because I bought a router and jasper circle jig this week so I will be making the templates Sunday. Any input from anybody? Would it be that much of an advantage having the tweeter up on top of the panel or down below? I feel like down below would be much better looking but I'm not really sure yet

IMG_20140523_094802_195.jpg

IMG_20140523_094813_220.jpg

IMG_20140523_102202_945.jpg

I don't fuck around. I go from zero to I hope you die in less than 2 posts

build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/104524-new-subs-coming-sundown-3500d-arc-audio-cable-lacing-crescendo/

Yes that's how I plan to do it

build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/104524-new-subs-coming-sundown-3500d-arc-audio-cable-lacing-crescendo/

IGuys I had an epiphany when fielding the mold and said Fuck It! I'm throwing in both sets of Arc Audio comps in the front door. Going to start cutting the rings now.

IMG_20140525_101520_906.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK so updates. the pods have been made for a few weeks now. I did my test fit with everything then got lazy and left it for a week then was pretty sick so took some more time off. I made a bunch of mistakes on the pods but had a blast learning everything on the go. My plan was to paint it the dark brown and smooth it up but I'm finding that shaping it perfect for paint isn't my strong point and is very time consuming so I went to Jo-Ann's and bought some vinyl that closely matches my interior. I will be wrapping it sometime shortly after 4th of July holiday weekend. As I said I made a bunch of errors but I learned a lot too. It isn't the prettiest to look at right now and I am not happy with how it is at the moment, but that will be changing soon. Other priorities come first right now.

End of May I received some Knukonceptz goodies. I will be removing my subs and box (going to remeasure and modify to see if I can make 2 18s work out) after this door pod situation is finished. When the sub box is out I will be adding 1 or 2 more XS batts, replacing all RCA's, and replacing/upgrading certain wires. Also will be gutting the carpet to deaden fully and reroute wires for a more hidden and permanent fashion.

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_20140526_113640_789.jpg

IMG_20140525_143100_692.jpg

IMG_2650.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

IMG_2653.jpg

IMG_2655.jpg

Below you can see I had it painted a few coats and realized I needed to cut back the resin'd polyester to make the speaker grill fit. Because I applied resin so high up the pods it has left me with a 1/8" plateau around the speakers. What would be my best way to blend this smoothly so the vinyl can be wrapped without the divot showing up?

IMG_20140603_220715_351.jpg

I stuffed it with polyfil.

IMG_20140604_102014_599.jpg

If you look carefully in the pics of the tweets you will notice they are not horizontally straight with each other. It is because the carpeted panel on the door panel is held on by plastic rivets or something like that and this was the best way to place them without destroying those plastic points. The tweeters are held in by a tight fit and super glue.

IMG_20140604_211750_903.jpg

IMG_20140603_220636_289.jpg

IMG_20140605_101511_385.jpg

Hot glued the hole I drilled for the speaker wire to seal it. Hopefully it holds well during the heat of Florida and Hawaii.

IMG_20140604_101843_457.jpg

Attaching to the door panel. I placed weather stripping on the panel to keep a tight fit and stop any wobbling from happen. Also to keep the pods from rattling against the panel during flex.

IMG_20140604_101827_644.jpg

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2659.jpg

IMG_2660.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

Don't worry, since the pic has been taken I have fixed the wire at the bottom that is slightly exposed. That's how they sit as of now. They sound amazing...now I just need to slowly make them look amazing. Also I DD1 the second 4 channel I installed but I need to mess with the crossover point on the amp. For now it is turned all the way up on high pass to 320 I think. Bout ready to buy the CC1

I also need some ideas to best make the edges blend with the door panel this is how it looks now

IMG_2662.jpg

Here is the vinyl I bought today now that I'm back in it. Jo-Ann's came through for me. I visited 4 small time hobby shops around town and the local hobby lobby and did not find what I was looking for. Hehe, also joanns was having a 50% off sale on all vinyl :)

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2665.jpg

Tape off your door with blue tape.apply a layer of mold release wax or any wax you have will do.Insert your pod back on door.then stuff it apply it with bondo into the gap area.once dry remove insert and sand and finish way you like. Just remember bondo can be shaped and sanded to any form you want.

• 2 weeks later...

Got rid of my crappy box

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2897.jpg

Also took out my spare tire, the winch for it, and the plastic guard surrounding it

IMG_2898.jpg

Ideas are sneaking into my head on what I want to do with the extra room but I have much too much to clean still. Also need to inspect the area a bit to fix stuff up and need to gut the Ex completely to deaden the floor and run wires more permanently.

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

I would like to switch to different subs since I am doing this rebuild kind of thing but I really do not have the money to get rid of my perfectly good subs for a small upgrade. I definitely need 2 new 4 channels and more XS batts that's a fact but I cannot fit the subs into the budget for now. The boxes I have had have all been right above 5 ft for each sub net, with the one I just trashed having port along the bottom. I want to go back to having port top to bottom in the middle, and make it BIG. Aiming for 4 ft net for each sub, tuned Low. 30 or 29 hz. Any havoc experts have advice about what they like for space?

Archived