Second Skin Audio

infinite baffle help

i've got 4 12 inch cvx's and i want to do an infinite baffle setup. if i'm remembering correctly that's using your trunk as a larger enclosure. subs inverted and all that pish posh mumbo jumbo...

anyways, my question is, how exactly is that set up?

i know the trunk space has to be larger than the manufacturers recommended sealed enclosure specs, but is there any size requirement for the box its self? can i go fairly small on the enclosure, or is there a rule of thumb? :huh:

all help appreciated, thanks!

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

You're going to want to go at least 3x the Vas figure for an IB setup(rule of thumb). High Qts subs that work well in large sealed boxes are good candidates.

Edited by RAM_Designs

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

You're going to want to go at least 3x the Vas figure for an IB setup(rule of thumb). High Qts subs that work well in large sealed boxes are good candidates.

will the cvx's i have work decently?

and i was referring to the box that i would have to build, that the speakers would be screwed into. any size requirement there?

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I wouldn't use CVX's for an infinite baffle set up.

i've got 4 of these bitches trying to go into the trunk of a mercury sable. i can't exactly meet the manufacturers specs if i went ported.

if i did go infinite baffle, how would i do it? what would be the box size requirement if any?

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

An infinite baffle setup would require you to completely isolate the trunk from the cabin of the car. You would need to build a baffle that the subs attach to 1-3" thick. That would be the seperation point. You can face the subs forward, rearward or vent them through the rear deck as long as you have a good seal. I think you may gain a extra db or two from the rearward firing. Building a normal box would be much easier and less time consuminmg.

You'll need to reinforce your trunk. Think of it as walls of your box and you want them as rigid as possible to gain the most db's out of it. You will need less power as well as most IB setups run 50-100% of your rms to avoid the power bottoming out the suspension. (this varies with each driver) IB setups have a certain peak in frequency. You can use an subsonic filter or parametric eq to tweak it. You also won't see much output over 80hz. They have a much different sound from what I hear, much more musical but that is anecdotal at best.

I have just started my IB build with two 18" Dayton dcs-450's. Ill be giving each of them only 240 watts a piece. Shy by many standards but we are talking about 18" drivers.

There are alot of talented cats on this site that have the ability to put ten lbs of stuff in a five lb bag. Make a new thread and I'm sure they can give you a handful of ideas to get you started

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle