Second Skin Audio

Tuning a box

I've always ran sealed boxes and I've always been lost when I see someone that says they have a ported box tuned to a specific hz. How are you guys calculating that? How do you know what hz you are tuning it to? I've searched this because it seems so elementary, but I couldn't find anything on it.

05 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi - 22x11 Fuel Hostage wrapped in 37" Nitto Mud Grappler - 3" Dual Flow Master w/ X pipe - 10" lift - Alpine 103BT Head unit - JL Audio J2-320.4 - JL Audio J2-1000.1 - (2) 12" JL Audio W3V3 - (2) sets of JL Audio components - 5% tint - 6000K HID - CAI - and more....

use torros box calculator here

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

I see, thanks guys!

05 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi - 22x11 Fuel Hostage wrapped in 37" Nitto Mud Grappler - 3" Dual Flow Master w/ X pipe - 10" lift - Alpine 103BT Head unit - JL Audio J2-320.4 - JL Audio J2-1000.1 - (2) 12" JL Audio W3V3 - (2) sets of JL Audio components - 5% tint - 6000K HID - CAI - and more....

Tuning a ported box is based on the net volume of the enclosure (space in the box not counting sub displacement and the port) and the size, shape and length of the port. When you tune a box you are giving it a slight gain around it's tuning frequency, and will dictate how low you can safely play your sub. You can use box calculators to find out your port measurements for desired tuning. Most people on here use the torres calculator, but I prefer using WinISD because it tells you the length to make the port for the tuning instead of having to put in the length and see what tuning it is.

WinISD Download

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Pretty easy, really...port length is determined by three things: size of the port opening, net box volume, and desired tuning frequency. The tricky part is making everything work together with the right box dimensions, and being able to do that quickly and accurately.

Ryan Miskin - owner of RAM Designs

I have my PM's turned off, please email at <script data-cfhash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

2200+ designs since March 2011...

Archived