Second Skin Audio

New Ideas...Need Your Input!

So, I got a fi btl 15, nd I'm ordering two fi btl 12's. I dont wanna get rid of the 15, and I wanna put it to use, so how about this. Interchangable baffles. We make interchangable ports, and this build will have that too, but why not baffles? One for a single 15, and another for two 12's. Of course I would have to find some way to make sure the box is sealed...maybe some waetherstrippping around the baffle/box edge, and some heavy duty toolbox like latches...let me know your ideas.

mivtCK.png

changeable baffles= air leaks,not enough air space, etc etc dont think its really possible,

BUUUUUUUUT.......... WAIT.....ORDER NOW AND YOU CAN.......

from the time it would take you to change baffles and ports, you are better off building separate boxes saves time thats for sure. but thats just me

Edited by Red-navi-916

BUILDLOG

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=61862

"98crewcab"Never a POS....just always "a work in progress" lol that's how we roll bitches!!!

Your a lowlife kid. I bet your mother wants to kill herself for not swallowing your ass.

hmm... let me get this straight... you want to make a box that will probably take a full sheet or two to make... Then you want to make another baffle, which will probably require another sheet, which you could just make the second box out of. Seems rather redundant to me.

I KNOW how you can do it and make it work, but it's very impractical. If you really want to know, i can do a sketchup quick.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

I've done a couple of sketchups myself, but thanks for the offer...if you feel like making one, I'd love to see what kind of ideas you come up with though and we could compare...who knows, you might have something totally different than I do on thought. But, to answer the main asked question, yes, this does seem impracticle when thinking of making two baffles and two totally seperate boxes. BUT...due to my limited space, I'm trying to save as much room as possible. I have a false floor in my hatch right now, and my batteries and shit are under the false floor in the spare tire well. So, instead of placing a box on the false floor, I'm gonna attach the walls of the box directly to the false floor...just use the false floor as the bottom of the box...glass it all together, and make it one piece...so therefore the whole "two different boxes" wouldn't be practical. This is why I thought of the idead for interchangable baffles.

mivtCK.png

I can understand your dilemma, but the interchangable baffle seems too complicated. However, this is what I cane up with for that idea...

interchangeableBaffle.jpg

The holes around the perimeter of the baffle are to bolt it onto the box. Tee nuts must be used on the inside of the box so you can properly secure it together. Use weather stripping to act as an air tight seal between the baffle and box.

The three rods inside of the box are for bracing for each baffle, and would be threaded rod. The two on the ends would be used to brace the baffle for the 15, one on each side of the woofer. The middle one would be used to brace for the 12s, and would go in between the woofers. When a brace is no being used, simply remove the threaded rod and place a nut, bolt, and washer combination in place to seal the hole.

You would still have a big problem though, the box would have to be built to specs for the 2 12s, as they would require a larger box. You would have to make something to take up space in the box to bring it down to a usable volume for the 1 15, but reducing the net volume would raise your tuning. Perhaps you could make a removable port wall that will lengthen the port and take up airspace and get you down to a usable net volume, because it would lengthen the port and lower your net volume at the same time. Although between the two setups you would probably only want a difference of about .2-.5 cubic feet.

^This is why I say it is rather impractical.

Edited by Autruche

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Well, the 12 has a min of 2cu' per sub, meanin I need at least 4cu'...the 15 calls for at least 2.5cu' or either 3cu' for one sub. With my max deminsions, I have a gross vol of 5.57cu' of usable space, after planned bracing...so with the two 12's, I'm lookin at approx 5cu' of net vol, and with the 15 I'm lookin at a net of approx 5.25cu' which is plenty for either setup. Now, be aware that is demisions with a permanent port of approx 30hz, but with the interchangable ports I'm planning, they won't be quite as big, therefore adding a little more net volume. I'm on my mobile ATM, or else id show u my torres sheets and sketchup. The sketchup above is pretty much what I was planning, with slight differences. I've done a lot of research and thinking on this over the past couple of days, and I think I've got it down...if anyone has any suggestions or advice that might help out, don't hesitate...maybe I can get this right, and it could be the next big thing.

mivtCK.png