Second Skin Audio

Can I just get away with doing a layer or two of spectrum and not add anything else on top or do I need to add some damplifier to the top of that? sorry this will be my first experience with sound deadner altogether.

Thanks

THE HOOK!

Next time she tries to punch you in the stomach, whip your wiener out and chase her around. Show her who's boss.

deadener will need to go on first. i dont believe anything sticks well to spectrum. spectrum can be enough or it could be too little. it all depends on what you need. remember it is made to be more of an undercoating.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Hook, it's hard to say if a layer or two will do. Why? Spectrum needs to be applied at a certain thickness to be effective, that thickness is 2mm-3mm. So apply it based on thickness, not how many layers.

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, Spectrum might just be the only thing you need or you may need to apply a MLV like Luxury Liner or Luxury Liner Pro over the Spectrum. Are you looking for making it quieter? Prevent flex from SPL? Or just all around better SQ?

Also remember that it can take up to 30 days for Spectrum to completely cure and for the results to be achieved.

And like Skittles pointed out, a mat material should be applied first, not the other way around. Why? Spectrum was formulated to adhere to bare metal. The aluminum facing of Damplifier or other similar CLD mat makes it the perfect surface for Spectrum to adhere to. Now I will say that I've never had an issue with Damplifier or Damplifier Pro sticking to Spectrum, so if necessary you can apply mat over Spectrum, just that it's not the preferred method of installation.

Later,

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

ok, At best I will be running 2 15's in my truck. It's nothing crazy but I had on e hooked up and have noticed some more rattles and such. so I guess I really should've asked what any body recommends that I do. The truck is my daily driver, I don't ever plan on taking it to a comp. It's built more to tell the wally world wanna-bes off.

I hope this helps anyone make a suggestion.

THE HOOK!

Next time she tries to punch you in the stomach, whip your wiener out and chase her around. Show her who's boss.

And like Skittles pointed out, a mat material should be applied first, not the other way around. Why? Spectrum was formulated to adhere to bare metal. The aluminum facing of Damplifier or other similar CLD mat makes it the perfect surface for Spectrum to adhere to. Now I will say that I've never had an issue with Damplifier or Damplifier Pro sticking to Spectrum, so if necessary you can apply mat over Spectrum, just that it's not the preferred method of installation.

Later,

according to the website it says its fine to put it on top after waiting at least a week.

you win some, you lose some

Yes it is ok to install Damplifier over Spectrum, but like I said it's not the preferred method. Applying a mat first gives Spectrum a uniform surface to adhere to. Also spectrum adheres better to the foil facing of Damplifier better than Damplifier does to Spectrum. What this does is create one continuous viscoelastic damping layer that will work synergistically together yielding a much more desired effect.

Would anyone be able to tell the difference between Damplifier over Spectrum or Spectrum of Damplifier? Probably not. And yes wait a solid week to insure that the Spectrum has cured enough, otherwise you'll trap moisture underneath the Damplifier.

One of the best ways to do a non CLD mat install is to sandwich the panel between a layer of Spectrum (1.5mm-2mm on the inside and outside). This works great when dealing with road noise and tire noise. Spray the underside of the vehicle and the interior floor. Awesome results.

Hook, with that tidbit of info I would suggest going with Damplifier, or if your budget allows, Damplifier Pro. Throw some CCF (closed cell foam) on the trim parts to prevent rattles and I think you'd be crazy happy with the results. Also by having a CLD mat installed first allows you to improve on it later down the road if need be.

Later,

usa_render4.png

while we are talking about spectrum, what should we do to prep the surface? like I'm going to spray under the car when I get a chance. do i need to wipe everything down? is spraying off loose dirt good enough?

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

If you're doing the undercarriage, spray it down real good while using a degreaser (I like Castrol Super Clean or Simple Green). If you're doing the wheel wells, spraying them down with brake cleaner afterwards will help remove some of that residual brake dust that degreasers don't seem to touch.

I know Spectrum underwent a slight modification to the formula to increase it's ability to adhere to greasy and not so clean surfaces but that is not an excuse for lack of good prep. :P

BTW, I've had my Spectrum applied for six years now and it still looks the same as the day I applied it.

Later,

usa_render4.png

last question for you Jon. over spray. if/when this stuff gets on my driveway, can i just hose it off?