Sundown Audio

Quick amp question

Coleslaw

double the cone area is +3dB, double the power is +3dB, or double the cone area and power for +6dB ;)

in theory of course, it be slightly lower in a car.

That is true, but IMO it's better to fix flaws within the vehicle. Such as deaden, seal, fiberglass, polyfill, etc.

x2

The money you'd spend on the second sub would be better spent on sound deadening. That will do more to increase dee beez :yahoo:

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

double the cone area is +3dB, double the power is +3dB, or double the cone area and power for +6dB ;)

Do you think I should spend another $200 or so and get another sub and make a new box or just go with the one I have and already have a box for at full power?

thing is, that two subs won't be getting half the power each as a single sub if they're all the same impedance.

I mean...

either you're currently not running the amplifier at its lowest rated impedance, and when running two subs you'll be able to run them in parallel.

or with two subs you'd have to run them in series...

what amp and subs?

I had something to put here, but i just had a major brain fart. Bump anyone?

Edited by srp365

2007 Pacifica

Yeah, it does depend on the subs impedance, but since most amps don't double output at half impedance at their minimum load, running one should give him more than half the power that would go towards two of them... maybe he only loses 1 or 2 db. You can gain that or more with second skin or dynamat.

he doesn't want half the power to two subs though, he wants the same power divided between two subs ;)

example.

an amplifier might do 1000watts @ 1ohm, 700watts at 2ohm.

single 1ohm sub, 1000watts

two 1ohm subs in series, 2ohm total, 700watts total, means about a 1.5dB gain over the single sub setup.

edit: edit your previous post why don't ya :P

Edited by TheyDontWantMusic

Do you think I should spend another $200 or so and get another sub and make a new box or just go with the one I have and already have a box for at full power?

thing is, that two subs won't be getting half the power each as a single sub if they're all the same impedance.

I mean...

either you're currently not running the amplifier at its lowest rated impedance, and when running two subs you'll be able to run them in parallel.

or with two subs you'd have to run them in series...

what amp and subs?

I had something to put here, but i just had a major brain fart. Bump anyone?

I'll bump her since I have something to put in her here. :peepwall:

POTATO!

Yeah, it does depend on the subs impedance, but since most amps don't double output at half impedance at their minimum load, running one should give him more than half the power that would go towards two of them... maybe he only loses 1 or 2 db. You can gain that or more with second skin or dynamat.

he doesn't want half the power to two subs though, he wants the same power divided between two subs ;)

example.

an amplifier might do 1000watts @ 1ohm, 700watts at 2ohm.

single 1ohm sub, 1000watts

two 1ohm subs in series, 2ohm total, 700watts total, means about a 1.5dB gain over the single sub setup.

edit: edit your previous post why don't ya :P

So he loses 1.5db over the double setup. I've seen easy 4-5 db in-cabin gains deadening the trunk.

re: edit: the point I had was moot.

2007 Pacifica