Second Skin Audio

How to figure vent area?

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

just fill everything out ond it will tell you the minum requments.

SPL box are uselly hit or miss. Its hard to tell someone what to tune theres to. the maxium vent area(open area ) you can have is uselly about equally to the total speaker diameter. for daily use about1/2

SMDsigbannr4.jpg1995 Geo Prism . FI BTL 12 P chamfer, 3rdmagnet HIXMAX COIL 1/0 big 3 HIFONICS COLOSSUS 1.7 cubs tuned to 60hz in the works 2xTruck battery 1125 cca.

Don't use that garbage website.  I put in some numbers there and it told me to have liek 240 sq inches of port which is ungodly large.  This is completely dependant on the vehicle the subs are playing in.  There isn't really a way to tell you without guessing.  You would have to spend lots of time testing to find out.  If you are really serious about getting as loud as possible then make a removable port so you try many different options without having to built many different boxes.

Current Setup : Nothing
2014 Ford Focus SE Hatch

Future looking like:

Singer / XS power

Crescendo BC3500D

CT EXO 15

Pioneer 80PRS

CDT HD-61PRO

CT Sounds M75.4

CT Sounds AT60.4

Something along those lines.

Don't use that garbage website.  I put in some numbers there and it told me to have liek 240 sq inches of port which is ungodly large.  This is completely dependant on the vehicle the subs are playing in.  There isn't really a way to tell you without guessing.  You would have to spend lots of time testing to find out.  If you are really serious about getting as loud as possible then make a removable port so you try many different options without having to built many different boxes.

woahhhh noobie. 240 inches isnt ungodly large dependin on what ur running. and whatre u talking about guessing?

duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

First off I am not a noobie.  I have 2 RE SX 15s and that much port area is pretty ungodly for them.  I have 114 right now and it's a little on the large side.  To the original poster, how is this going to be installed in the vehicle?  Most of the time the port area has very little to do with the type of woofer but what type of vehicle it's going in.  Just using the xmax of the woofer and the size of the box will not guarantee optimal port velocity or appropriate back wave projection.  Like I said, to get this perfect takes a lot of calculations and testing.  But hey, I didn't do the testing in my car.  I emailed Pete Kuliki for advice.

2014 Ford Focus SE Hatch

Future looking like:

Singer / XS power

Crescendo BC3500D

CT EXO 15

Pioneer 80PRS

CDT HD-61PRO

CT Sounds M75.4

CT Sounds AT60.4

Just wondering how to properly calculate the area(length/width/depth) of a vent for max spl. I'm tired of guessing. Please, somebody help.

To find the port area,  hieght x width.

what frequency do you plan to tune to?  you say this is for pure spl?? so burp only ?

woahhhh noobie. 240 inches isnt ungodly large dependin on what ur running. and whatre u talking about guessing?

woahhhh noobie, 240^2 of port area is a Pretty big port. unless your doing pure SPL wall setup with multiple subs you wont see ports this big very much

20 x 12= 240 square inches, thats a huge port. you are right it does reqiuer(sp) alot of testing,

now to use lxwxh to find your tune will require alot of math or you can use a program to help you.

I use WinISD Pro, you can get it here free. http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisdpro

you will need to know your box size,(internal cubic feet) size of your port.(internal opening size example 8x10)

if you need more help post it in the spl forum.

I know how to tune a box.  The original poster wanted to know how much port area he needs to get the most SPL.  To get the absolute most out of the setup would require quite a bit of testing and tuning.  It's easy to pick a number for your port area and then lengthen it to get desired tuning.  But figuing out what size port will yield desired port velocity resulting in the highest SPL that can be obtained by one particular enclosure is much more difficult.  And using the car stero website for nominal port area will not give you the number you need because it is vehicle dependant.  Not driver and volume dependant. 

2014 Ford Focus SE Hatch

Future looking like:

Singer / XS power

Crescendo BC3500D

CT EXO 15

Pioneer 80PRS

CDT HD-61PRO

CT Sounds M75.4

CT Sounds AT60.4