my tranny is messing up because of all the wieght is draggin, and fixing would be dum because is bound to happen again. so i want to upgraded. any places? sites ?

2003 3.8L chevy impala

Well I need to know what trans is in it, probably a 4l60E I am assuming. I would try checking the fluid level, changing fluid, possibly getting it flushed, and probably changing the gearing in the car so it doesn't kill itself trying to pull all that weight. You can have a shop with a tuner program your trans shift points and firmness. If all that doesn't work, I would be looking for a used trans to take to a tranny shop and have them build it up. You need higher quality clutches and bands, probably a higher line pressure, and I am sure there is tons of stuff that would need to be done to the computer system in those dang things.

There is lots to do, the money is the question, how much do you want to put into it?

BassinBlazer

JL[RF][Kenwood][AQ]

I need a new amp! Sell me your amp!

Sadly I don't know what tranny it carries, I got the fluids flushed and change already .

How exactly do I go by changing gears?

Cuss the scanner did say it was transmission shitfting related...

I don't want to spend more than a grand . If that's the case I should of sold this before upgrading the alt.

Sadly I don't know what tranny it carries, I got the fluids flushed and change already .

How exactly do I go by changing gears?

Cuss the scanner did say it was transmission shitfting related...

I don't want to spend more than a grand . If that's the case I should of sold this before upgrading the alt.

To tell you the truth, transmissions can cost an arm and a leg. If you do it yourself, or you have a friend who could do it for you, that would save you a metric ton of money. To change the gears in the car, you would have to change the rear ring and pinion gears. It would give you more torque, and more acceleration, while making it easier on your motor and trans. Then you could just have you trans tuned to the new gears in the rear, and it should help. You could also put in a different overdrive gear in the trans to help with highway trips and gas mileage. There are quite a few routes to go with it, and not one of them is very simple. My dad just put a trans in his truck, and it cost him $2,700 at the tranny shop.

It could need a full rebuild, it may have just snapped a band or clutch, it may just be tired and worn out. Take it to a trans shop and ask them to evaluate it. Then go from there.

Edited by bassinblazer

BassinBlazer

JL[RF][Kenwood][AQ]

I have the same drive train as you, except mine's a 2001 Impala LS with the 3.8.

The transmissions in these cars are the 4T65E, and they are a known issue on these cars. Hit up www.naioa.com. I'm a member on there as well and posting any question on there will give you great results, they are very knowledgeable when it comes to our Impalas.

I'll start off with the basics....

How many miles are on the car? Do you beat on it?

Does it have any codes?

Flushing the fluid in these transmissons is usually the end of it's life, unless it was properly maintained. If you do any work to a 4T65E trans, I would only recommend a pan drop and filter change, and then re-fill.

If you really want to upgrade your transmission I would highly recommend a TEP (Triple Edge Performance) tranny. They are highly recommended around the FWD based 3800s....I run one in my impala after I blew the transmission after all the motor work we did to the top end....

Here's a link to Triple Edge Performance. They talk about all the issues these transmissions have....

http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com/New_Home_Page.html

Please answer the questions I asked and I can further assist you with the problem you're having.

Edited by billy101

First System

2002 Impala LS 3.8L V6, 128,365k miles.

Alternator: DC Power 190Amp H/O Alternator

Headunit: Kenwood KDC-BT945U.

Speakers: MBQuart 6.5" Comps, 6x9 3-way.

Amplifer: Eclipse 3322 on front 6.5 components, and a Infinity Kappa One @ 2ohm- 800w

Subwoofers: 2 REAudio SRX12D2 wired to 2 ohm.

Box: 3.1cuft box tuned to 33hz. sealed off to cabin

Big 3- done with all Knukonceptz KCA 0 gauge.

Don't drop below 14.1v at full tilt. :)

i have a 2002 impala 3.4 and just recently got 2 qoutes for a complete overhaul, seals, bands, programing, the whole works and both were right at 1600 bucks, luckly it wasnt the problem, turned out to be my catylitic converter clogging up, cuase it to shift bad and run like dookie, changed it my self for less then 400, might want to put it on a machine and see what codes its throwing, and go from there. good luck bro

2007 trailblazer lthead unit- pioneer p4300dvd

crescendo ft-1 supertweeters

pioneer m650 pros

audiocontrol 2xs crossover

Rockford fosgate p200-2 highsrockford fosgate p400-2 mids1- fi btl 18amps- saz 3500battery- evermax in front, 2 9a31 dekas in rearwires all knuconceptz 1/0 and rcas

90k miles.

Beat on it as in bass? Yes.

Codes from diagnose scanner? Yea I scanned it once . It was the transmission code which I forgot the exact #.

It had the catalyst before, which I changed already.

So basically, anything done would be around 2k ?

Edited by __d_a_v_i_d__

90k miles.

Codes from diagnose scanner? Yea I scanned it once . It was the transmission code which I forgot the exact #.

Thats about the jist of it. I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the trans in your car, but I do know that GM did some funky stuff with their transmissions after they went computerized in the late 80's with the 700R4 and stuff. It all went down hill from there. Stuff got more expensive and more complicated to work on, and it also seems like it doesn't last as long as they used to. Like above guy said, go with the upgraded one, and heck for 1600 bucks, that isn't too bad....Could be worse!

BassinBlazer

JL[RF][Kenwood][AQ]

90k miles.

Hm, if you could get it scanned again and get the tranny code that would help greatly..

Your local AutoZone would be able to scan it for free and then you will just need to write it down. Yes, our impalas also had an issue with the Catalytic Converter as well and mine went a couple years ago; was replaced under warranty; I hope yours was.

I was asking as if you beat on it, like drive the piss out of it. My foot is usually always to the floor in my car (heavily modded 3800). pushing over 300hp; but I have a TEP transmission. Shifts great...

Anything transmission wise will be pretty expensive on our cars due to the fact that the motor has to be pulled, or have the sub frame dropped in order to do almost any work on the trans.

If your car is in rather good shape and you don't have any other big issues and you like your car enough to put money into the trans I would do it if I were you...

A properly maintained 3.8L V6 will last 200k+ miles, and still drive great. My car's about to roll over 114k miles, and the motor and everything else is like a dream.

Edited by billy101

First System

2002 Impala LS 3.8L V6, 128,365k miles.

Alternator: DC Power 190Amp H/O Alternator

Headunit: Kenwood KDC-BT945U.

Speakers: MBQuart 6.5" Comps, 6x9 3-way.

Amplifer: Eclipse 3322 on front 6.5 components, and a Infinity Kappa One @ 2ohm- 800w

Subwoofers: 2 REAudio SRX12D2 wired to 2 ohm.

Box: 3.1cuft box tuned to 33hz. sealed off to cabin

Big 3- done with all Knukonceptz KCA 0 gauge.

Don't drop below 14.1v at full tilt. :)