Second Skin Audio

Any tips for sealing an enclosure off from the trunk?

Hello All!

Finally got my new car ( '99 Civic Lx ) :yahoo: . I wanna drop my subs into it in the next week or so. I optimally would like to have an enclosure aiming into the cabin and sealed off from the trunk. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good way to seal the trunk without causing a mess with expanding foam. It sounds like that's what I'll end up doing but just wanted to check first. Also should you bolt/screw some part of your box to the trunk/rear deck before you work on the actual sealing off part?

I appreciate all comments/input :drinks:

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 DC Level4 12"

Soundstream TA1.3000d

4 RF Punch 6.5" Components

2 RF Punch 3.5" 2-ways

RF Prime 400.4D

XS Power XP950 +&-run of XScorpion 1/0 OFC My Civic Build

yeah position the box as foward as you can with out it comming into contact with the seat back then mount it down then you need to make pannels to fill in the gaps and if you dont want to use foam use gorilla tape or sound deandner to seal around the edges of your panels

Teamflexissueslong.jpg

06 chrysler 300C Hemi

one mmatts dreadnaut 15 powered by a planet audio vx 2200d

fosgate p200 running planet audio 8" midbass drivers and super compression tweeters

stock battery and a stinger spv44

Irragi 300 amp alternator

big 3 1/0

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/55075-system-in-my-300c/page__view__findpost__p__763656__fromsearch__1

I used foam panels and gorilla tape. you can cut the panels to however you need them.. expanding foam would be better sealed.

either way its a sucky process.

if i had to do this again, itd be better to build the seal and do the metal work etc before hand so the box could just slide in and fit flush. then bolt or screw it in.

i did this and lost db's ... im guessing unless it ABSOLUTLEY sealed its hard to gain

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

if you're firing into the seats (fold down) I like to build a collar. 2 frames, one mounted to the tower/seat frame and the other to the front of the enclosure. then stretch fleece between them and resin. reinforce with kitty hair from the back. done. 3 hours max

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

if you're firing into the seats (fold down) I like to build a collar. 2 frames, one mounted to the tower/seat frame and the other to the front of the enclosure. then stretch fleece between them and resin. reinforce with kitty hair from the back. done. 3 hours max

You got any pics of this? I'm thinking about doing something like this but kind of having a hard time picturing it.

Current Build:

1999 Tahoe #ComingSoon

Previous Build(s):

Crossfire Magnum

5k Pontiac G6 GT

I will do my best to find something for you...Sounddomain is down and that's where all my pics are hosted

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

here's what I can do for you now...picture a simple cover panel...a frame with a giant hole cut out of the middle. this needs to be a symmetrical hole, but can be any shape really (I like to make it as large as possible while maintaining rigidity). The outside dimensions are the same as the face of the enclosure. The inside allows all sound to pass. When laid over the face of the enclosure it will not affect sound and you will barely see it. The second panel will fit the shape of the opening you see when the seats are folded down. The cutout should be about the same shape as the other cutout....just for ease of stretching fleece. staple fleece to the enclosure side piece and secure the enclosure side to the enclosure using screws around the edges...put tape over them so you can get them out later. now secure the opening side piece so it can be removed with the entire enclosure through the trunk once resined. stretch fleece symmetrically and very tightly (you'll thank me later for this...put your back into it). staple to the opening piece. resin. make sure you soak all the way through (plastic and mask the entire trunk and back seat or you'll end up with a huge mess) finally, marglass the edges to seal them to the car's opening making a perfect fit. upholster with carpet or vinyl (paint of that's what you like) and you're done. I used to charge $1000 for a collar. you can do it for under $50.

Principal