DC Sound Lab

First I put this in this section because I use DC amps and subs. Looking at MECA rules, my only real chance to place with a single 12 would be to drop my fuses down and compete AS2 or S2. I would use an 80 amp fuse while keeping the wire size 1/0. Would the fuse just blow due to the current draw of the amp? How can I make this work?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Yes. A fuse doesn't pop the instant it reaches it's max potential. And in just a short burst you can get a lot more current through a fuse then it's rating.

Not recommending this but for example. You could take a 300amp fuse and hook it straight to battery + to - sparks are going to fly before the fuse pops. And that's a lot more damn current then 300.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

It's not really a noob question. It's understandable for someone to think "this fuse is rated for 50amps and my amp is going to pull 200amps, no way that can work" but fuses still allow all the current to flow through that is being pulled through it. Just not for long.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Yes. A fuse doesn't pop the instant it reaches it's max potential. And in just a short burst you can get a lot more current through a fuse then it's rating.

Not recommending this but for example. You could take a 300amp fuse and hook it straight to battery + to - sparks are going to fly before the fuse pops. And that's a lot more damn current then 300.

Have you tried this? Because that's exactly what a fuse is designed to protect against. So it would have to be really quick contact.

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

Have you tried this? Because that's exactly what a fuse is designed to protect against. So it would have to be really quick contact.

quoted from bcae1.com

Fuse Opening Time:

A fuse does not blow when the current reaches its rated current. It is designed to pass its rated current without opening. A fuse will take varying times to blow under different conditions. A fuse will pass significantly more than its rated current for a very short time. It may take 10 minutes or more to blow a fuse at 25% over its rated current. The table below is an example of the specifications for a slow blow fuse. You can see that a 20 amp fuse may pass 40 amps of current for as long as 5 minutes before blowing although it probably wouldn't take a full 5 minutes to blow. The times for other fuses will be slightly different.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.