Hey guys, has anyone ever built one of

before? I came across it from the hackaday website and couldn't help myself; I just have to build one. After all, being an electrical engineer and an audio fanatic, it's right up my alley.

I have already begun collecting the piece parts for it and should start having some pictures of progress in the next couple of days. I found most of the parts at Fry's Electronics while I was in California for work travel, but I have to order some of the more complex stuff. I also went to a junk store to buy an old CRT monitor and ripped out the Flyback Transformer (nothing better than pulling something apart and seeing how it works).

For those of you who don't know what a plasma speaker is, I will try my best to explain it. In short, it's a high range speaker (tweeter) that is made with electricity arcing through the air, like a little lightening bolt but constant. The sound comes from the modulation of that electrical arc. As the music is input into the speaker circuit, it changes the oscillation of the arc which in turn compresses and expands the air around it causing sound waves. And since the driver has virtually no mass to it, the fidelity is often very high. If built right, plasma speaker can rival the best made tweeters on the market.

I must put out a warning though to those who might try to copy this work. BE CAREFUL. This circuit will have HIGH VOLTAGE and can seriously cause harm if handled improperly. Also, there are some out there who say these speakers are harmful because they ionize the air and create O3 or ozone, which is a poison. They do create this gas, but in very small quantities. This will not be a problem unless maybe you isolate the speaker in a small cabinet with you head inside as well and play it for a long time purposely trying to breathe in the garbage.

Thats super cool! I would die tho. My finger would be in that arc so fast.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't die if you just stuck your finger in it, but you wouldn't have a finger left, that's for sure. Now if you touched one contact with one hand and the other with your other hand, then it would go through your chest and you'd be cooked for sure... =@

As far as progress, I have stuff on order from Digikey. Once I'm done collecting all of the piece parts I am going to start throwing it all together. I'll be sure to keep you all posted.

now that looks pretty cool. fun project

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz