Sonic Electronix

no.. its not

What if you played music material like rock n roll and the bass was all in the higher spectrum, so you had the gain set lower and used the bass boost to raise the 45hz+ range?

Would that be wrong?

most of the time, 90%-95% of the time, when you use bassboost it adds distortion.. which is bad... and if some one knowshow to set the gains and use the bassboost with out distortion they wouldnt be asking this question....

so its better to be safe and not use it at all...

I would look at the wiring and enclosure if two SAs aren't getting down on 1,500 watts.

it pounds real hard with gain up a tad, but i really get ridicoulos with some bass boosts. But thanks fellas going out there now and turn bass boost all the way back down. Think i need to move up to the audiopipe1800d.

Try getting them in a spec enclosure, and find an oscope to set the gains. It's not a volume knob to keep turning, what kind of headunit do you have? I installed two SAs on an AQ1200 and they got down.150 watts increase per sub isn't really going to give you that much more performance. Upgrade the electrical, build a good box, and set gains correctly.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

no.. its not

What if you played music material like rock n roll and the bass was all in the higher spectrum, so you had the gain set lower and used the bass boost to raise the 45hz+ range?

Would that be wrong?

most of the time, 90%-95% of the time, when you use bassboost it adds distortion.. which is bad... and if some one knowshow to set the gains and use the bassboost with out distortion they wouldnt be asking this question....

i asked cause these local guys here dont tell u anything.They say its fine to turn it up. thats why i asked the ? on the forum

no.. its not

Would that be wrong?

i asked cause these local guys here dont tell u anything.They say its fine to turn it up. thats why i asked the ? on the forum

I understand, thats just why i told you it wasnt a good idea to have it up... but know it adds clipping/distortion, thats why alot of people frown on it, its almost like the LOUD button on the headunit...

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

I would look at the wiring and enclosure if two SAs aren't getting down on 1,500 watts.

it pounds real hard with gain up a tad, but i really get ridicoulos with some bass boosts. But thanks fellas going out there now and turn bass boost all the way back down. Think i need to move up to the audiopipe1800d.

Try getting them in a spec enclosure, and find an oscope to set the gains. It's not a volume knob to keep turning, what kind of headunit do you have? I installed two SAs on an AQ1200 and they got down.150 watts increase per sub isn't really going to give you that much more performance. Upgrade the electrical, build a good box, and set gains correctly.

im using my factory headunit right now until i get my other pioneer 7200hd out my other car into this one. I have 2 towncars, 99 and 01. Its really pounding and sounding good though, just was worried about the bas boost. The sa-12s are in a well designed enclosure. The guy at the shop when he did the install he didnt either use a oscope. He even had the bass boost turned up way ova half way

Power output is dependent upon input signal. So no your amp does not purt out a continous wattage. It will put out a constant rail voltage though. The gain is used as means of matching the pre amp voltage with amplifier,it's a vairable resistor that adjust the feed back resistor to determine the gain at the preamp stage. Bassboost is an active bhandpass filter, which allows not only to attenuate but boost as well. Volume controls will limit the amount of power the amp will put out since it will limit the pre amp voltage. However no knob will truly "regulate" the amount of power the amp is putting out since power in dependent upon impeadance and impeadance is dependent upon frequency, which in the case of music is dynamic. the problem with bass boost is that when you add boost, you lose dynamic headroom...so if you set the gains just right and then add bass boost, you can cause clipping in the boosted areas...so you either let it clip (and blow stuff up easier) or you have to turn the gains down to compensate--making the volume in the boosted region the same volume, but everything else gets quieter. either way, you dont win with bass boost.

Techniquely bass bost is a single band equilizer

Power output is dependent upon input signal. So no your amp does not purt out a continous wattage. It will put out a constant rail voltage though. The gain is used as means of matching the pre amp voltage with amplifier,it's a vairable resistor that adjust the feed back resistor to determine the gain at the preamp stage. Bassboost is an active bhandpass filter, which allows not only to attenuate but boost as well. Volume controls will limit the amount of power the amp will put out since it will limit the pre amp voltage. However no knob will truly "regulate" the amount of power the amp is putting out since power in dependent upon impeadance and impeadance is dependent upon frequency, which in the case of music is dynamic. the problem with bass boost is that when you add boost, you lose dynamic headroom...so if you set the gains just right and then add bass boost, you can cause clipping in the boosted areas...so you either let it clip (and blow stuff up easier) or you have to turn the gains down to compensate--making the volume in the boosted region the same volume, but everything else gets quieter. either way, you dont win with bass boost.

Techniquely bass bost is a single band equilizer

well said.... Thanks fellas. no boosts in my ride.

well, no problem. there is A LOT of horrible information floating around. i would recommend reading through the site and alos BCAE1.com, it is what i read YEARS ago when i could not find the information locally. Gain Explanation should help give you some more information on the principles of gain. any questions come back, because you would want to set your gains correctly for maximum performance while keeping your equipment alive.

well, no problem. there is A LOT of horrible information floating around. i would recommend reading through the site and alos BCAE1.com, it is what i read YEARS ago when i could not find the information locally. Gain Explanation should help give you some more information on the principles of gain. any questions come back, because you would want to set your gains correctly for maximum performance while keeping your equipment alive.

awsome site, i learned alot about gain... thanks buddy

I have a question, I know many people use wired knobs that come with prooducts like the AQ knob, RF knobs and I knew there are some others out there. What about them?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm